Skip to main content
Topic: The Elephant in the room (Read 9819 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: The Elephant in the room

Reply #45
My simple philosophy on the subject. Would you rather have a genuine gun on your team or be playing against him? It's very nice having one.
absolutely.

In fact you'd rather have 3.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #46
No doubt Cripps was an absolute beast that won us the game.

On the other side of the coin...
If we got the same output from Cripps in other games this year, how many more wins would we have on the board?

I'd suggest we certainly wouldn't be sitting last on the ladder with only 2 wins.

Of course thats unreasonable to expect that, but its more about the timing of the performance more than anything else.

I think you're agreeing with me.

The real strength of the rest our list is best determined when Cripps is either shut out of a game or missing.

How well do other stand up in the absence of his presence and play making?

Hopefully he's not missing too often.

Reply #47
Cripps out means someone else plays in his absence.

Sure that match winning performance is the value of two players but it might have meant a different output from a few players with a winning result.

Not saying we would have won without cripps but we did used to say similar about Judd.

Others do step up in the absence of a gun player.

A coach in a development scenario, with nothing on the line may even be tempted to rest a champ just to test that out.
See which players do step up.

We wont see that this year

Reply #48
If Cripps doesnt play we would get hammered every week, the Nth game showed when he was held we were hopeless, doesnt matter who is coaching either.
One thing Teague needs to do apart from getting in some more A grade mids is change the game plan so we are not so Cripps dependent, its worse than when Judd played IMO...

Reply #49
One thing Teague needs to do apart from getting in some more A grade mids is change the game plan so we are not so Cripps dependent, its worse than when Judd played IMO...

I think BB was trying that over the last couple of weeks and it contributed to him losing his job, but reality is that Teague has no job to lose!

I agree, but how do you develop that tactic without penalising Teague?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #50
I think you're agreeing with me.

The real strength of the rest our list is best determined when Cripps is either shut out of a game or missing.

How well do other stand up in the absence of his presence and play making?

Hopefully he's not missing too often.

I am agreeing with you.

Just pointing out that in with all the teague love in that is going on, and understandably so, there was really only 1 reason for the win. The same reasons we may not have won games under Bolton......single-handed dominance of a game by one P. Cripps.

I think our kids will catch up and become solid players, but right now they are still hitching their wagon to the biggest beast we've seen since Kouta.

Reply #51
If we’re taliibg about relying on Cripps, it’s a bit unfair to not also include Kreuzer as he’s probably as important at this stage of our development.

Having said that I think our current over reliance will be temporary - across the midfield  I couldn’t have been more pleased with the performances of Walsh, Dow, Fisher, Gibbons  and this lesser extent Setterfield yesterday and I’ve no doubt that in year or so that group plus SPS and Cuningham will be winning games for us even in the absence of Cripps.

In relation to Kreuzer, De Koning looks the goods and could spot straight into the side from next year.

Small forwards and skilled running defenders are higher priorities.

Reply #52
^^^^This.
I couldn't agree more. When (if - injury and poaching permitting) they've played 50 together, they will be a powerful diverse midfield.
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #53
I think BB was trying that over the last couple of weeks and it contributed to him losing his job, but reality is that Teague has no job to lose!

I agree, but how do you develop that tactic without penalising Teague?

Agree.

In fact, Bolton in his 77 games probably was able to play all of Murphy, cripps and kreuzer together for less than half of his stint.

You can probably add curnow the elder and docherty to that too.

Very unlucky.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #54
If Cripps doesnt play we would get hammered every week, the Nth game showed when he was held we were hopeless, doesnt matter who is coaching either.

There was a lot of talk before and during the game about moving Cripps into the forward zone for longer periods. Don't know if that eventuated but it seemed like he was everywhere - haven't seen his heat map.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #55
There was a lot of talk before and during the game about moving Cripps into the forward zone for longer periods. Don't know if that eventuated but it seemed like he was everywhere - haven't seen his heat map.

Having Cripps drift forward more is a game winner IMO, 99.99% of opposition mids cant go with him size wise and he has improved his goalkicking too.
He was really running on adrenaline in that game and was super human like ,reckon his heat map would have been off the chart and in the nuclear zone :)

Reply #56
He's a good chance at the medal

Reply #57
Cripps is a beast on and off the field. At the moment, he provides me with hope. If we didn't have him, right now I'd give up and be completely disinterested. I had Hawthorn mates texting me yesterday  saying things like "we need to move heaven and earth to get him", "I want him". I just told them all to GAGF and keep their pee and poo hands off him. He drags people through the turnstiles, the way he plays, the way he carries the team in his young shoulders, the way he looks, his size, he is the complete package and is the darling of the comp. If we start winning games, I wonder how much opo supporters will like him then.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #58
How about SOS and Co adopt a new tactic. We win a few more games for the season and Cripps comes along when we try to bring stronger bodies with skills to the club. How about the closing line in the meetings come from him. “Come on a journey to a new future and take the ride with me. I want you by my side. Don’t be scared. Just do it” Not SOS. Not MLG. Not Cain. Cripps gets to close. Who could honestly not believe him or want to be his wing man.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #59
How about SOS and Co adopt a new tactic. We win a few more games for the season and Cripps comes along when we try to bring stronger bodies with skills to the club. How about the closing line in the meetings come from him. “Come on a journey to a new future and take the ride with me. I want you by my side. Don’t be scared. Just do it” Not SOS. Not MLG. Not Cain. Cripps gets to close. Who could honestly not believe him or want to be his wing man.

You've got something there Mantis. Cripps over caviar anytime.