Skip to main content
Topic: Pre-Game Passion: AFL 2019 Rd 16: Carlton vs Melbourne (Read 5786 times) previous topic - next topic

Pre-Game Passion: AFL 2019 Rd 16: Carlton vs Melbourne

We play the early game next Sunday against Melbourne, which fell apart late against Brisbane.
We have our injury probems, and one or two guys who really are not in form, but we did some really good work since the change of coach.
Live Long and Prosper!

Re: Pre-Game Passion: AFL 2019 Rd 16: Carlton vs Melbourne

Reply #1
Win and we jump ahead of the dees on the ladder and up into 16th.

Lets do it.

I like not having to tank given how we don't actually have our own picks, it serves no purpose.

A bit like what would happen if you took away the certainty of the #1 pick....like say with a lottery draft....

Now where have i heard that before......;)

Reply #2
Any early word from over there as to whether Cripps and/or McKay might be available?

Reply #3
Any early word from over there as to whether Cripps and/or McKay might be available?

Interesting, I heard that if not for the location Cripps may have played. But the burgeoning injury reports and apparent hardness of the Perth surface put the wind up the MC on both Cripp's foot and McKay's back!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #4
Will be interesting to see how our blokes pull up after the game on that surface. But geez Cripps in would be a massive lift.

Reply #5

Make them come back through the VFL...lol.

Reply #6
It's interesting now, if Gawn is really gawn, and based on the long term weather reports of rain, we might not make many changes!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #7
Very hard to get a read on Melbourne. I feel like they can come good at any moment, but they just never do.

At this point, I'm not sure where I sit with this game.

Reply #8
Assuming McKay is fit, he replaces Charlie.  Easy.

Who does Cripps replace if he's fit this week?  Tough call IMO. 

Dow probably did the least possession-wise, but not really considering he played mostly as a small forward.  He impacted quite nicely I thought, and his skills were much sharper.  My opinion is pretty clear on the youngsters.  I think they should be played as flankers or pockets (or midfield in the 2's) until they are ready for proper midfield responsibilities.  Dow's atrocious disposal at times could be attributed to him not being ready yet for all the running he's been asked to do, and he's simply stuffed and down on confidence when trying to execute.  We all know he's not the best kick in the side, but I think he'll become a reasonable kick as he develops, as there's nothing too horrid when looking at his kicking style.  I think he's finally being played where he should be given his development stage, and he should stay there next week.

So who gets dropped if Crippa is fit?

Reply #9

I suspect SoJ cops it in the neck, unjustified by still he is the ideal swap!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #10
Well with Charlie out and Macca also injured maybe Cripps comes in and Jack goes forward?
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #11
Assuming McKay is fit, he replaces Charlie.  Easy.

Who does Cripps replace if he's fit this week?  Tough call IMO. 

Dow probably did the least possession-wise, but not really considering he played mostly as a small forward.  He impacted quite nicely I thought, and his skills were much sharper.  My opinion is pretty clear on the youngsters.  I think they should be played as flankers or pockets (or midfield in the 2's) until they are ready for proper midfield responsibilities.  Dow's atrocious disposal at times could be attributed to him not being ready yet for all the running he's been asked to do, and he's simply stuffed and down on confidence when trying to execute.  We all know he's not the best kick in the side, but I think he'll become a reasonable kick as he develops, as there's nothing too horrid when looking at his kicking style.  I think he's finally being played where he should be given his development stage, and he should stay there next week.

McKay is at least one more week away, according to reports.  Weather on Sunday looks a bit dodgy, so if McGovern and Casboult play forward, Curnow's replacement should either be Kerr (a forward who leads) or a smaller type, maybe Lang....?

If Crippa is fit, it's time to give Paddy a run in the VFL so he can get the ball a bit and work on his disposal.
This is now the longest premiership drought in the history of the Carlton Football Club - more evidence of climate change?

Reply #12
No way could Silvagni get the chop again after that game. Dow kicked a good goal but his kicking generally is terrible and he's had 2 or 3 really quiet games....O'Brien has probably gone ahead of him at the minute. If Cripps is fit then him and possibly Kerr in for Charlie and Dow?

McGovern simply doesn't do enough so a big ask for him to be the only real tall option up forward. With Jones back into the team, Levi can play forward/ruck. Jones gets McDonald and Weitering on Weideman. If Melbourne play both Gawn and Preuss then Levi probably plays more back than forward. But I'd still like to see Kerr get a shot at it.

Reply #13
No way could Silvagni get the chop again after that game. Dow kicked a good goal but his kicking generally is terrible and he's had 2 or 3 really quiet games....O'Brien has probably gone ahead of him at the minute. If Cripps is fit then him and possibly Kerr in for Charlie and Dow?

Dow brings pace that SoJ doesn't, if you keep SoJ and bring in Cripps with Kerr you are slowing the team down significantly.

McGovern simply doesn't do enough so a big ask for him to be the only real tall option up forward. With Jones back into the team, Levi can play forward/ruck. Jones gets McDonald and Weitering on Weideman. If Melbourne play both Gawn and Preuss then Levi probably plays more back than forward. But I'd still like to see Kerr get a shot at it.

Preuss hasn't played since Rnd 5, I heard he was carrying an injury, anyway two rucks doesn't really fit or suit the Dees run and gun style.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #14

Dow on form has to go out, even my whipping boy Obrien completed his task vs Freo on Hill....Dow has been on the slide all year and needs a spell in the twos.
No use having pace if you cant get the ball, Jack stays in, he was part of the reason we won the game vs Freo and is also a candidate rotation for Oliver of Melbourne.