Skip to main content
Topic: Pre game postulations: AFL 2019 Rd 16: Carlton vs Sydney (Read 10597 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Pre game postulations: AFL 2019 Rd 16: Carlton vs Sydney

Reply #15
You realise they are going to thump us. This is likely to be a 10 to 12 goal flogging.

Doesn't always go that way. Some weeks we are crap, and lose by less than a kick, albeit to crappy sides, other weeks we beat top 8 sides. Either way we've spent 4 weeks sitting on the end of our seats having heart attacks irrespective of the opposition.

Reckon we more likely would've taken a thumping if we won today with that performance for 3 qtrs. We'd have got away with it and carried that over to next week. Seeing lost it might sharpen them more.

Reply #16
Buddy won't be back yet, hammy will keep him out for another couple of weeks at least

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-2019-lance-franklins-300th-game-might-be-delayed-after-suffering-hamstring-injury-v-hawthorn/news-story/5de7565ce7d9c9daa440bf8e628ccc3a

This report says 3-4 weeks, and he injured it in R14 v Hawks, and we play them in R17, so he could make it, but certainly cutting it fine. Clearly, Buddy missing helps not just the team, but Jones as well. He seemed out of sorts today, and Buddy is the last thing he needs.

Reply #17
The run in defence has helped him (Levi) no end. I didn't think we'd see much more of him.

Maybe McGovern should be tried there.

Reply #18
Maybe McGovern should be tried there.

McGovern's OK, he's creating space for the others but not getting it in return.

The kids keep taking their opponents to his marking contests, while he drags his opponents away from their marking contests.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #19
McGovern's OK, he's creating space for the others but not getting it in return.

The kids keep taking their opponents to his marking contests, while he drags his opponents away from their marking contests.

I noticed LOB doing the same...

He is very unselfish player and his running patterns are all about making space for the others...
Long time lurker few time poster !!

Reply #20
Main concern from me re. McGovern is his skills execution currently, esp his marking. If he had snapped up a couple of marking chances he had near goal, converted, and kicked the goal he narrowly missed then we could have claimed he'd had a reasonable day. Alas............

Anyway, I am confident he will come good.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #21

I noticed LOB doing the same...

He is very unselfish player and his running patterns are all about making space for the others...

LOB is a clever footballer, I struggle to see why we have Lang in the team when LOB could easily do that job, and LOB will go harder at the contest!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #22
LOB is a clever footballer, I struggle to see why we have Lang in the team when LOB could easily do that job, and LOB will go harder at the contest!

If LOB is going harder at the contest then Lang must be stuck in reverse.......both could attack the ball better IMO.

Reply #23
If LOB is going harder at the contest then Lang must be stuck in reverse.......both could attack the ball better IMO.

Have you watched Lang recently?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #24
Watched LOB put his (little) body on the line in the defensive goalsquare to stop a rampaging Petracca from getting the ball and kicking an easy goal. Agree he avoided body contact in his early games, but puts it on the line when he has to now

Reply #25
Weitering has a concussion according to the CFC match report, and surely broke his nose as well. Great opportunity to give Goddard a few games and see what he can do. From what I read and hear of the NBs games he certainly deserves a run

Reply #26
Have you watched Lang recently?

Watched Lang closely in a couple of NB's games and he is a lurker who hangs back but doesnt commit unless the ball finds him.....LOB is a kid so he gets a bit more slack cut his way
but lacks consistency in a lot of area's including contested footy. I dont see what others see in LOB to be honest, contested footy isnt great, kicking is very average and he just makes me nervous when he has the ball.
Back to Lang....needs delisting at seasons end, Deluca should be straight in next week to replace him IMHO.

Reply #27
Watched Lang closely in a couple of NB's games and he is a lurker who hangs back but doesnt commit unless the ball finds him.....LOB is a kid so he gets a bit more slack cut his way
but lacks consistency in a lot of area's including contested footy. I dont see what others see in LOB to be honest, contested footy isnt great, kicking is very average and he just makes me nervous when he has the ball.
Back to Lang....needs delisting at seasons end, Deluca should be straight in next week to replace him IMHO.

I don't get these blokes - you'd think they'd be busting a gut to prolong their AFL careers.....

Yes, deLuca should be straight in.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #28
Yes, deLuca should be straight in.

I thought he was decidedly ordinary at the weekend.

Other than some uncontested football he looked mostly out of the contest, I was surprised to see him listed in the best!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #29
I thought he was decidedly ordinary at the weekend.

Other than some uncontested football he looked mostly out of the contest, I was surprised to see him listed in the best!

Well OK but Lang is certainly no better and Dow has been decidedly ordinary all year and keeps getting a gig.

Let's see what this bloke has at the top level?
Finals, then 4 in a row!