Skip to main content
Topic: VFL 2019 Rd 15: Northern Blues vs Port Melbourne (Read 2729 times) previous topic - next topic

VFL 2019 Rd 15: Northern Blues vs Port Melbourne

PORT MELBOURNE v. NORTHERN BLUES

Round 15 – 13/07/2019  1400  Adcon Stadium (Port Melbourne)
Really bad timing, having this game and the seniors playing at the same time. It means that at least 1, maybe 2 players will miss as travelling emergencies. Nichevo, we don't get much help in this area.

Northern Blues
B: 77. M. Blakey, 26. H. Macreadie, 19. A. Schumacher
HB: 57. E. Penrith, 37. B. Silvagni, 21. J. Garlett
C: 46. M.  Cottrell, 32. A.  Fasolo, 55. J.  O’Rourke
HF: 44. M. Owies, 12. T. De Koning, 29. C. Polson
F: 53. J. Palmer, 36. P. Kerr, 54. J. Velissaris
R: 27. M. Lobbe, 69. S. Fisher, 47. J. Deluca
Int: 42. K. LeBois, 72. N. Wheeler, 52. M. Stavrou, 66. G. Strachan, 25. K. Keppel, 14. J. Lynch, 75. F. Anderson
23P: 71. J. Walters

In: G. Strachan, J. Walters, J. Lynch, F. Anderson, K. Keppel, N. Wheeler, Stavrou, E. Penrith

Out: A. Johnson, A. Phillips, F. O’Dwyer, H. Goddard, O. White

Not sure about why Johnson is not there: being managed? It would make sense. Phillips has been suspended fr a week, so he is back next week.
The problem for the Baby Blues is our midfield: we don't have much of one. No matter ow good your rucks or forwards, if the mids are not getting the ball out, you're always on he back foot. :( We really miss Tom Wilson, who is the in and under king for this team. :( I guess we need to recruit some new mids for 2020.

Port Melbourne
B: 37. H. Hooper, 30. E. Phillips, 27. C. Beasley
HB: 8. D. Van Unen, 36. L. Waddell, 16. C. Searle
C: 3. E.  Templeton, 18. M.  Wooffindin, 9. A.  Krakauer
HF: 22. D. Johnstone, 7. D. Conway, 13. J. Blair
F: 43. T. O’Sullivan, 6. J. Lisle, 32. B. Pearson
R: 28. T. Goodwin, 5. S. Lange, 4. T. O’Sullivan
Int: 29. C. Walker, 11. B. Lloyd, 12. P. Lewis-Smith, 10. M. Arnot, 14. I. Conway, 2. K. Haretuku, 17. M. Signorello, 45. J. O’Brien
23P: 39. G. Nagle

Port are not unbeatable, but they do have mature bodies and we really don't. They have  strong midfield which finishes well, something the Baby Blues have struggled with all year. Even in the practice match back in March the Blues killed them early, but got run over in the last quarter. :(
Live Long and Prosper!

Re: VFL 2019 Rd 15: Northern Blues vs Port Melbourne

Reply #1
Some decent bigger bodies on the bench - Stavrou 188/87, "Bulldog" Lynch 179/82, Walters 184/83, even Strachan a mature body and Keppel a tall.

Reply #2
Some decent bigger bodies on the bench - Stavrou 188/87, "Bulldog" Lynch 179/82, Walters 184/83, even Strachan a mature body and Keppel a tall.
Pity they are not midfielders, but I agree that these guys add something to a very young team.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #3
You no you are lacking mids when Fasolo lines up in the guts.  ??? ???

Reply #4
Indeed. He may have been spending some time there lately, but if he is our front line line, we are in real trouble.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #5
Bound to be quite a bog, plenty of rain about and more to come...
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #6

Possibly. You don't think it has something to do with him being an underperforming (at Carlton anyway) forward? I suspect that the coaches are trying something new.

I'm in two minds when it comes to the "recycled" players that we have recruited. We have not exactly been a destination club for a long time. It has been a step by step process to slowly improve (we were unlikely to attract a or b grade talent whilst continually "winning" wooden spoons). Strategically I understand this but on the surface it looks woeful.

Reply #7
Looks like a close one here too

Reply #8
Only following the scoreboard online, what happened? Looked last a last minute goal to win?

Reply #10
Goal on or after the siren by Jean-luc to win the game apparently. Led most of the game. Great to finish it with a bit of polish.

Congratulations to the NB'S
Always exciting to pinch it on the siren.
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #11
Looks like we fell down in the last quarter: a common tale this year. However, our only goal for the quarter was the one that wins the game! Beautiful!
Blues win it 72 to 68!
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #12
great win!
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #13
Unbeaten weekend. VFLW drew.

Reply #14
Unbeaten weekend. VFLW drew.