Skip to main content
Topic: Post Game Passion: AFL 2019 Rd 17: Carlton vs. Sydney (Read 12056 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Post Game Passion: AFL 2019 Rd 17: Carlton vs. Sydney

Reply #45
Gee Levi played another bloody good game and could have been brilliant bar a few dropped marks.

He's a very valuable player now, there must be a few recruiters wondering why they couldn't see that potential and go for him when he was on the trade table. Most om this forum had him pegged.

Haven't seem anyone calling Murf soft since Teague took over.............

Reply #46
I feel like I have literally watched a replay of every time we've lost to the Swans for the last 10 years.

Our mids refuse to man up for the entire match. Zone / 10-15m away from their opponents and the Swans just chip the ball through us all day.

It was one of the most disappointing matches I think I've ever watched and I include 90+ point hammerings in that. It's like we have no understanding of the most basic elements required to win a game of football. If you're sitting there on the coaching panel watching the way the Swans very simply chipped their way through our team over and over and over and did nothing to stop it - what are you doing there.

Forget talent/age - this has nothing to do with that - it's just effort. If the coaches instruction is to run that extra 10m to shut down the only option the Swans ball carrier has and the player doesn't follow that instruction then the coach should be dragging you and send you to the VFL the next week and finding someone else to do it.

My suspicion is our coaching performance was seriously sub-par. I have practically never criticised Bolton but this game was winnable and I don't know if Bolton knows how to extract the performance required to win a game any more.

The above were my comments from after the Rd 3 Sydney match.

I reckon this has pretty much proven out now.

Bolton simply lost any ability he had as a match day coach to pull the right moves OR extract a consistent level of effort from the players.

Lovely bloke but I remember that round 3 game as the one where I started to draw the conclusion on Bolton.

Reply #47
Murphy in an interview after the game against the Swans had a simple conclusion to how we are coached to play games. A simple game plan that is easy to execute, and every player knows his exact role. Teague has indicated the same in his interview. You execute you role exactly to instructions. No ifs or buts.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #48
The above were my comments from after the Rd 3 Sydney match.

I reckon this has pretty much proven out now.

Bolton simply lost any ability he had as a match day coach to pull the right moves OR extract a consistent level of effort from the players.

Lovely bloke but I remember that round 3 game as the one where I started to draw the conclusion on Bolton.

Just dug this off another site...... "My son in law played under Bolts when he coached the then Tassie Devils in the VFL ,and he said that he coached like a school teacher (totally controlling ) and was very very stubborn on his thoughts of how the game should be played . I think this was probably his ultimate downfall . Having said that I wish him all the best for the future and believe that he had the very best of intentions for the club and players."

Reply #49
Free kicks? My God!
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #50
I went to an intra-club practice match several years ago and was impressed when a strapping young rookie took a fantastic pack mark.  I thought that he could become a very good footballer and I think that Levi has finally become that very good footballer.  His chase and tackle in the last quarter was a great effort, and not something we would expect from Levi.  It wasn’t a match-winning effort but it represented what seems to be a new found desire to be a more complete footballer.  Well done Levi ... but I’m not sure that I can squeeze him into my best five players.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #51
I don't know about you people but I have taken a major dislike against Blakey.  I don't know if it's his demeanour or apparent aggrogance but he needs taking down a peg.  Reminds me of a young Fletcher.... all elbows and attitude.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #52
They’ve become a whiney bunch, the Swans.

Make no mistake, to be in finals contention they needed to win this one.

The boys should be incredibly proud of themselves today, especially as they would’ve been disappointed after last weeks close loss.

Fan farking tastic!

Go Blues

Reply #53
Watched the game today on foxtel. Now I generally like Paul Roos but he is very Sydney biased.
Anyway great win by the boys. The change post BB pretty amazing. Yes the skill errors are still there but the confidence and belief has grown significantly and they just keep working away and are helping each other and you can see they are enjoying their footy and playing with each other.
That translates into a good team to watch now..it's not like going to the dentist anymore watching us play! ;D

Reply #54
Agree, listening to Roos was so Sydney biased it was really grating.

Yes there were stupid skill errors but not as many plus I saw something I haven’t seen for a long time - I think it was Kreuzer blocking after giving off to cripps in the 4th - unselfish.

And the tackling has improved 100%.

Newman said after the game, we have a lot of good young players and they’re being left to play. I would love to know what exactly has happened.

Reply #55
Will Sedderfield 9 tackles and significant forward pressure. Exactly what Teague said about ‘Just doing your job.’  Progressing very nicely......after 14 games!!

Reply #56
Went out to the game yesterday with my boy, just about the ultimate football experience for him.
I found out beforehand where the cheer quad were sitting and booked our seats with them.
We went to the pub beforehand for the pre match meet and greet, only downside for the day was not winning a raffle.
Legend bloke at the pub handed me an envelope and says to me “take your boy out on the field for the guard of honour”.
Lined up on the ground for cheers and high fives as the lads took the ground.
My boy had a ball screaming his head off and cheering at the top of his lungs with the cheer squad guys.
A win against my equal most hated team, a great win!
And As we are cheering for the boys down on the boundary after the game, Gibbons runs straight over to my son and hands him a signed ball.

The boy hasn’t stopped playing with it since we got home. He is pretending he is a Patrick Cripps & Marc Murphy running around the house kicking it and handpassing to himself.

Couldn’t have planned a more legendary experience for him.

Reply #57
Went out to the game yesterday with my boy, just about the ultimate football experience for him.
I found out beforehand where the cheer quad were sitting and booked our seats with them.
We went to the pub beforehand for the pre match meet and greet, only downside for the day was not winning a raffle.
Legend bloke at the pub handed me an envelope and says to me “take your boy out on the field for the guard of honour”.
My boy had a ball screaming his head off and cheering at the top of his lungs with the cheer squad guys.
And As we are cheering for the boys down on the boundary after the game, Gibbons runs straight over to my son and hands him a signed ball.

The boy hasn’t stopped playing with it since we got home. He is pretending he is a Patrick Cripps & Marc Murphy running around the house kicking it and handpassing to himself.

And were the pies hot and the beer cold?.......... :))
Great stuff!
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #58

That's great to hear. Good that we're doing something to bring in the next generation. And getting some wins on the board to keep them!

Reply #59

Perfect day!