Skip to main content
Topic: If Not BB, Who? (Read 59320 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: If Not BB, Who?

Reply #390
I'm wondering what this proposed "review" encompasses?   Who does the querying, what questions really need to be asked? What are we trying to ascertain?

It would nice if we could borrow somebody like Cook or Frank Costa who actually underwent this  process to find out what Geelong actually did,  although I suspect that Stephen  Wells and some quality FS picks probably counted just as much.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #391
The worry is if the wrong people conduct a review you may find yourself spend less and less time doing what you are actually paid for!

Is there any chance we could have confidence in such a process?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #392
I'm wondering what this proposed "review" encompasses?   Who does the querying, what questions really need to be asked? What are we trying to ascertain?

It would nice if we could borrow somebody like Cook or Frank Costa who actually underwent this  process to find out what Geelong actually did,  although I suspect that Stephen  Wells and some quality FS picks probably counted just as much.

At a guess, I'd say the review would mainly focus on how the club is performing relative to the original rebuild aims and objectives, and if we're failing, what is required to address that, i.e change of personnel, change of process etc. 

I would use the same mob that the Pies and Tigers used, as I've suggested before.

Re: bolton

Reply #393
Also Lods, bear in mind that a detailed and top to bottom review could conclude that we need to continue with BB! A review should not be a foregone conclusion if done properly and honestly, rather than with a particular outcome in mind.

This is my point, a proper review is unlikely to mean sacking the coach but just adjusting how he goes about  his role as well as others......I think we are at the crossroads now, not in 2020.
Walls has been appointed as a babysitter and its not working, we are 3 wins from 36 games, the so called easybeats Gold Coast have three wins and have just beaten us.
Kreuzer and Docherty as saviours?.....both have been missed greatly but look at the future, Kreuzer is nearing the end and our backups cant cut it. Docherty is coming off a 2nd knee reco and
we need an insurance plan if he doesnt come up.
The other problem I have is the level of improvement, we might be improving but this year other so called poor performers have lifted their game and looking more advanced than we are.
The game plan is undefined and we rely purely on individual efforts rather than team work. We are horrible at the basics, kicking, decision making, fundamental errors are par for the course and accepted.
What other sporting organisation would tolerate this level of performance without making changes....?

Reply #395
https://www.sen.com.au/news/2017/06/05/review-healthy-but-do-it-right-says-williams/

2 bobs worth from Choc Williams.

Fair enough comments and as the article says the precedent to that review from previous reviews at Geelong and Richmond was not to sack the coach.
The club should be happy to have a transparent open review to help Bolton and the team perform better.

Reply #396
Fair enough comments and as the article says the precedent to that review from previous reviews at Geelong and Richmond was not to sack the coach.
The club should be happy to have a transparent open review to help Bolton and the team perform better.

In most corporate environments a review is not intended to be transparent and open, a review won't be approved until it's phrased to deliver the preferred outcome! It's usually a smokescreen for doing something that would otherwise be seen as uncomfortably cruel or morally questionable!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #397
In most corporate environments a review is not intended to be transparent and open, a review won't be approved until it's phrased to deliver the preferred outcome! It's usually a smokescreen for doing something that would otherwise be seen as uncomfortably cruel or morally questionable!

Agree, but this isnt BHP, Wesfarmers or Myer we are talking about this a football club in trouble who should be genuine in its attempts to improve a failing business.
If we feel there are likely smokescreens, contrived outcomes or political games then its start at the top and weed out those individuals who wont embrace a transparent or open review, those types are part of the problem. eg MLG, Board members, Judd, Mathieson etc etc......

Reply #398

Agree, but this isnt BHP, Wesfarmers or Myer we are talking about this a football club in trouble who should be genuine in its attempts to improve a failing business.
If we feel there are likely smokescreens, contrived outcomes or political games then its start at the top and weed out those individuals who wont embrace a transparent or open review, those types are part of the problem.
MLG, Board members, Judd, Mathieson etc etc......

Yep, they're either fair dinkum about putting the club first or they're not. It's easy to be cynical, but I'd rather be benign and let cynicism rule down the line if required.

Reply #399
Quite right
...and surely we shouldn't leave that until the end of next season.

The end of this year would be a more than appropriate time.

I think people are getting themselves worked up in a frenzy here.

At the end of this season there will be a review, for sure. You know what, i'm pretty sure every club does a review at the end of every season. It's expected.

You review the playing list every year as you need to cut/sign/trade/draft players.
You review the coaching group as its almost unheard of for 1 group to be unchanged from 1 year to the next.
You review all areas of the club.

Given we've only recently come up with our 5 year plan, you'd consider those goals and expectations were come up with based on a review of where we are, and where we want to be and what needs to happen to achieve them. You'd think that each and every year we'd review our current position to see how we are tracking with our goals.

You'd also like to think that you would review all previous reviews to work out what went right and what went wrong in your past review, to make your future reviews more accurate.

Review, review, review.

Bit of a buzzword at the moment don't you think?

Reply #400
Not sure it's aa frenzy.

If it were a frenzy we'd be demanding something immediately.

I think most supporters are prepared to wait until the end of the season for a transparent evaluation.

Reply #401
Not sure it's aa frenzy.

If it were a frenzy we'd be demanding some thing immediately.

Looks that way from where i'm sitting.

Vocal minority is getting mighty loud.

Reply #402
This is my point, a proper review is unlikely to mean sacking the coach but just adjusting how he goes about  his role as well as others......I think we are at the crossroads now, not in 2020.
Walls has been appointed as a babysitter and its not working, we are 3 wins from 36 games, the so called easybeats Gold Coast have three wins and have just beaten us.
Kreuzer and Docherty as saviours?.....both have been missed greatly but look at the future, Kreuzer is nearing the end and our backups cant cut it. Docherty is coming off a 2nd knee reco and
we need an insurance plan if he doesnt come up.
The other problem I have is the level of improvement, we might be improving but this year other so called poor performers have lifted their game and looking more advanced than we are.
The game plan is undefined and we rely purely on individual efforts rather than team work. We are horrible at the basics, kicking, decision making, fundamental errors are par for the course and accepted.
What other sporting organisation would tolerate this level of performance without making changes....?

Ripper stuff, EB1. Nothing missed. Your... "The game plan is undefined and we rely purely on individual efforts rather than team work." ...so nails our side.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #403
Looks that way from where i'm sitting.

Vocal minority is getting mighty loud.

I'm not seeing it the same way.
Questions are being asked....but there is still a fair bit of "wait and see"

Perceptions a funny thing and we tend to overestimate  the  resistance to our point of view.
It seems 'louder' because we concentrate on the vocal opposition

Maybe we should run a poll.

Reply #404
I'm not seeing it the same way.
Questions are being asked....but there is still a fair bit of "wait and see"

Perceptions a funny thing and we tend to overestimate  the  resistance to our point of view.
It seems 'louder' because we concentrate on the vocal opposition

Maybe we should run a poll.

Hence why i keep bringing up the 'vocal MINORITY'.

I reckon most people are in favour of Bolton staying for now, and its ok for questions to be asked, but what is going on now reminds me of the start of the Pagan 'hall of shame' era.
That is...
We got done by the premiers today - because Pagan doesn't have a game plan and has lost the players.
We got done by 10 goals today - because Pagan doesn't have a game plan and has lost the players.
We couldn't kick straight today - because Pagan doesn't have a game plan and has lost the players.
Play x was a late out today - because Pagan doesn't have a game plan and has lost the players.
We lost the toss today - because Pagan doesn't have a game plan and has lost the players.

Every post that is made in where someone is critical of something that happened, the answer is inevitably, Boltons fault.