Skip to main content
Topic: GM to dump Holden (Read 27149 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: GM to dump Holden

Reply #45
Some great lines in that film....

Get that cr@p off my lawn

Sometimes you run across somebody  ya shouldnta f@@@ed with

A man can fix anything with a tin of that (WD40), some tape and pliers.

Those being some pearls of Clint wisdom.
Apparently the Hemsworth blokes and their ilk are "male action heros"..... the man with no name, William Munny,  Harry or Josey Wales would eat their kind for breakfast.

Bounty hunter #1:
You're wanted, Wales.

Josey Wales:
Reckon I'm right popular. You a bounty hunter?

Bounty hunter #1:
A man's got to do something for a living these days.

Josey Wales:
Dyin' ain't much of a living, boy.

Reply #46
We all have it coming kid!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #47
Mister Eastwood's first name says it all when spelled in capitals.

Love him.

Reply #48
Just revisiting the death trap that is the Jeep Wrangler, ingloriously has achieved a one star Ancap safety rating and those disgraceful officials at Fiat Chrysler couldnt give a rats clacker about you and your loved ones.
At 64Kmh in the frontal impact barrier test with 40% contact on the drivers side the front passenger compartment starts to collapse, so your loved ones are going to be die in agony on the side of the road in an accident that in any other normal car they would be shook up but walk away from.
These structural crapheaps shouldnt be allowed on the road even though they come with AEB and numerous other toy safety devices, the spin from Fiat Chrysler about these cars is also amazing claiming they are engineering upgrades etc etc....they spent a lot of money changing the aero dynamics of the car to reduce the fuel costs but sacrificed structural safety. In the encap tests they didnt even bother with the side pole impact test as it was just assumed these master pieces of engineering wouldnt hold up.
And to think they want to charge you 75K for a Rubicon in Aus....

Good news for Nissan/Mitsubishi buyers too, as if it wasnt bad enough that Renault have allied themselves with them and screwed with their engineering  it appears Renault want to take over Fiat Chrysler too.....I'd be avoiding all those brands...

Reply #49
Thanks for that EB. I really need to brush up on this sort of knowledge. We've driven Mazdas for decades, and we simply buy those now by default.

Reply #50
Thanks for that EB. I really need to brush up on this sort of knowledge. We've driven Mazdas for decades, and we simply buy those now by default.

Paul, good choice ...Mazda's are good well designed vehicles and the after sales service backup is ok too....

Reply #52
I'll stick with Subaru outbacks ... very good in all aspects.  Jeeps are just bad news

Reply #53
As an ex-Wrangler owner, I have to say that I can’t fault the protection they provide to the occupants.  Not that I needed it myself but several of my Jeep buddies were involved in serious accidents and the integrated roll cage enabled them to walk away.  Indeed, most Wranglers that have rolled can be made roadworthy and have the rollover record deleted from the onboard computer.  In fact, a young friend roiled one on a steep track last month and was able to get it back on its feet, drive home, replace some panels and get a roadworthy for it within a week.

If you want a capable 4WD with a live front axle and ladder chassis, you’re going to run foul of ANCAP ratings.  My 79 Series Landcruiser doesn’t have an ANCAP rating because Toyota couldn’t be bothered (the 2016 single cab model has a 5 star rating).

If I was in the market for a genuine outback touring, boghole ploughing, rockcrawling 4WD, I wouldn’t be too concerned about ANCAP ratings.  However, I would be concerned about reliability and build quality and that’s where I believe that Jeep lets its buyers down.

“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #54

Good news for Nissan/Mitsubishi buyers too, as if it wasnt bad enough that Renault have allied themselves with them and screwed with their engineering  it appears Renault want to take over Fiat Chrysler too.....I'd be avoiding all those brands...

Issues with Renault - genuinely curious to know them? I understood that the chassis and engines are Nissan incl the CVT, electronics are Samsung, design French.  Nissan hasn't changed not sure about Mitsubishi.  I do have a history of owning Renaults  still going with the 2002 Clio.  Much more fun driving that than some other small cars.   More recently, newer Megane and Koleos made in the new alliance days are solid, comfortable rides - never had an issue with them. 

Reply #55
An old joke in 4WD circles... It's a Jeep limited.... Very limited.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #56
An old joke in 4WD circles... It's a Jeep limited.... Very limited.

The vast majority of people I know who have purchase one to tow stuff regret it, after their first downhill fright they nearly all end up in Landcruiser, Patrol or Pajero, some end up in Land or Range Rover but that's been for suburban towing of Sweeties Pony Float!

Know a couple of people that have just purchased RAM or F-Series for when they need a bigger boat, and one Hummer owner! No real feedback yet!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #57
The V8 turbo diesel cruisers we use for work are phenomenal.  Pulled an 1800 litre water trailer the other day through sand,  hardly knew it was there.  But I'd hate the fuel bills.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #58
The V8 turbo diesel cruisers we use for work are phenomenal.  Pulled an 1800 litre water trailer the other day through sand,  hardly knew it was there.  But I'd hate the fuel bills.

Yeah, in the end I gave up on various twin cabs and crew cabs and we bought a turbo diesel landcruiser for the girl to tow her trotters around, she says she doesn't even notice when two of them are on the back, and they weight about 600kg a piece plus a 1800kg float! Happy wife happy life!

The mates tell me the fuel bills are the interesting thing for the Ram, F-Series and Hummer. Because the bills don't change that much under load, they've sh1t economy unloaded or fully loaded! ;D But all three have those smart engine management systems, they basically turn off cylinders when you are towing on freeways or holding speed on straight level roads, so they are not as bad as you think for a vehicle rated at +4500kg towing! Pays to have a soft foot!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #59

I’ve got a 79 Series.  When we did the Madigan Line last year, my fuel consumption was 14l/100km.  The three 200 Series on the trip all got around 28l/100km.  The next best performer was the Grand Cherokee with 17l/100km.  All diesels of course.

It seems that the twin turbos on the 200 Series mean that they are working hard most of the time.  The 79 Series has a single turbo and only works hard when it has to ... a bit like a former Blue running around in the SANFL  ;)
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball