Skip to main content
Topic: 2017 Round 4 : Post Game thread - Carlton V Gold Coast (Read 36149 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2017 Round 4 : Post Game thread - Carlton V Gold Coast

Reply #135
Really? I reckon Kouta had a fair handle on the game prior to 1998 when his dad passed away. He'd already played 100 games by then and was a premiership player and who could forget his game v West Coast in 1996 at PP. He rediscovered his love for the game for sure, but he had well and truly arrived on the AFL scene well before playing at CHB.

He did but he was struggling very badly at that time. Playing him at CHB really got him going again.

Reply #136
Too true shawny. I forget he's only played, what, a dozen? He's a ripper. Not a super athlete just an honest footballer who bleeds Navy. His positioning is a standout. His kicking for goal's not too shabby for a kid either.
Onya SOJ

Yes, we've got a good one there.

When I first saw him play in the NAB game against Essendon, I was impressed by the amount of time he seemed to have, and by his willingness to get involved in a bit of biffo.

It's early days yet but I'm impressed by how his work as a forward is coming together and he's starting to make the most of his opportunities.  He still makes some poor decisions but that's to be expected at this stage of his career.  I'm also impressed by his willingness to get up the ground and help out in defence.  His work there is very sound.

I was a little concerned that he may have been promoted before time but I was fooled by his laconic style.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #138
Really? I reckon Kouta had a fair handle on the game prior to 1998 when his dad passed away. He'd already played 100 games by then and was a premiership player and who could forget his game v West Coast in 1996 at PP. He rediscovered his love for the game for sure, but he had well and truly arrived on the AFL scene well before playing at CHB.

Perhaps the memory got the better of me GIC however the takeaway remains the same, even more so. Kouta debuted around 93 and wasnt a bona fide player until 95/96.

Reply #139
He did but he was struggling very badly at that time. Playing him at CHB really got him going again.

I thought his year was pretty poor and he said the same.
Moving him onto the ball in the PF got him going again

Reply #140
You obviously haven't been spending a whole lot of time on the boards of late. True

I dubbed Charlie C 'Curnofides' last year based on similar observations, mannerisms and glimpses of ability out on the footy field.

I have been too busy or otherwise occupied the past couple of years.

Reply #141
Thats exactly what I said.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #142
I thought his year was pretty poor and he said the same.
Moving him onto the ball in the PF got him going again

I had to go back to the results, stats etc, in case the memory failed me. Time tends to change things in our minds.

He started coming good again during the 2nd half of 1998 once moved to CHB. First half of that year was pretty average, 1997 was crap. 1999 seemed a good year generally, which really hit a new high in the 1999 PF.

Reply #143
I thought Charlie showed some very good signs this week sweeping across half forward, took some nice marks and should have kicked a couple of goals. Seems to get lost in the midfield, but not surprising since he's hardly ever played mid in his junior career, needs to learn the caper. I'd much rather see him spend more time at half forward

Reply #145
Tend to agree....was a big fan pre-draft as he had/has X factor but he has been disappointing IMO even given his glandular fever....his running patterns are not great and vs GC he couldnt keep up with his man or didnt want to, not sure which...
He can look lazy too when chasing and I wonder about his endurance....was put in the middle for a short stint on Ablett but that didnt work out too well as Ablett was too mobile...the other factor in defense of Charlie is he is being tried everywhere but not really being settled in one position.
Not giving up on him for sure but he is one I have under the microscope...re: Tom Bell....probably gave us a lot more initially than Charlie has....

I think It's unfair to compare Charlie at this stage of his career with Kouta. Those who want to do so need to remember that Kouta racked up 50 games in the reserves in his first couple of years before earning a senior call up in a side that finished 8th and 10th in his first 2 years at the club. Charlie already has 12 senior games under his belt as a 20 year old key forward. Bell was drafted as a 20 year old rookie and is a different player to Charlie. Not a lot of X factor with Tom.

Charlie has often been compared to a young J Roughead who in his early years was maligned by Hawks supporters. I think as we aren't in a position to challenge, Bolts has the luxury at the moment to explore all options with the group. Weitering up forward or down back. Williamson and Samo in a number of roles. Curnow has elite endurance. Why not exploit it early in his career to accelerate his development. I'm backing him in.
IN WADA WE TRUST

Reply #146
I have been too busy or otherwise occupied the past couple of years.

Mate, pretty sure you alluded to the fact your comments may have been made.
Don't sweat, happy to hear your thoughts by the minute or by the year. ;)
All is welcomed in my book ^-^
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #147
agreed, judge the kid with 50 games under his belt....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #148
My only judgement of Curnow is about his workrate.
I cam forgive a lack of experience, but being a Curnow, elite athlete runs in the family and we haven't seen much of it at this stage.

Ed is like the energizer bunny and his sister is a commonwealth games medallist in running.

Charlie thus far has a bit of flair and not much else.  I'm looking for more drive from a second year player who needs to get a move on and start showing improvement on what he did in his first season.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #149
I can't see where it's been mentioned, but young Zac made the R4 AFL's top 10. I guess it was a toss up between his blistering run down tackle and beautiful goal from near the boundary. The latter won.

Take a look. That's a green shoot if ever I've seen one.

Kudos Zac. That's a fine accolade for any debutant.
Take a bow son. ;)
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.