Skip to main content
Topic: Ashes 2019 (Read 57154 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Ashes 2019

Reply #166
I agree with Malo, helmets have enabled poor techniques, but they shouldn't be an excuse for poor techniques!

I was lucky enough to be involved in a coaching course many years ago...during which we had a guest talk from Sir Garfield Sobers.  I don't think even then that I appreciated how special that was !  Anyway, his thoughts on technique were very interesting at the time , particularly regarding playing short balls.  The traditional theory is that Cricket is a side on game....particularly batting.  His thoughts were that a batsman trying to stay side on to a short ball limits the height that their front arm can be raised & also limits the options & range of movement of an attacking (pull/hook) shot (Try it yourself).
If a batsmen moves across & back with a more front on (2 eyes towards the ball) stance, the front arm can reach far higher for a defensive shot, your range of options for an attacking shot become far greater, you have a far better view of the ball, you can quite easily just duck under a ball that is too good.

Even with my limited batting ability I could see the sense of what he was saying....and any advice from a  bloke who (up until recently) was the greatest batsman outside of Bradman should be taken extremely seriously !

cheers

Life is pain....... anyone who says differently is selling something.

Reply #167
I was lucky enough to be involved in a coaching course many years ago...during which we had a guest talk from Sir Garfield Sobers.  I don't think even then that I appreciated how special that was !  Anyway, his thoughts on technique were very interesting at the time , particularly regarding playing short balls.  The traditional theory is that Cricket is a side on game....particularly batting.  His thoughts were that a batsman trying to stay side on to a short ball limits the height that their front arm can be raised & also limits the options & range of movement of an attacking (pull/hook) shot (Try it yourself).
If a batsmen moves across & back with a more front on (2 eyes towards the ball) stance, the front arm can reach far higher for a defensive shot, your range of options for an attacking shot become far greater, you have a far better view of the ball, you can quite easily just duck under a ball that is too good.

Even with my limited batting ability I could see the sense of what he was saying....and any advice from a  bloke who (up until recently) was the greatest batsman outside of Bradman should be taken extremely seriously !

cheers

Well bugger me Malo, guess who one of my junior coaches was? The same person I was talking about when I discussed being coached to get one arm high and get my other elbow behind the bat, Sir Gary! (He hated being called Sir, if you called him Sir..... he'd reply "Call me Gary" in that gruff voice! ;D )

I can tell you it works a treat? ;D
The Force Awakens!

Reply #168
Well bugger me Malo, guess who one of my junior coaches was? The same person I was talking about when I discussed being coached to get one arm high and get my other elbow behind the bat, Sir Gary! (He hated being called Sir, if you called him Sir..... he'd reply "Call me Gary" in that gruff voice! ;D )

I can tell you it works a treat? ;D

Unbelieveable !...yeah, you sort of have to pinch yourself when you look back & think about the calibre of player/gentleman who was involved ! Earlier on in that decade, he actually came up to our local high school (little school in Hobart !!) and gave a talk to our cricket side in 1984 !  How he was there & who organised it, I still have no idea, but for the whole time he was there talking, you could hear a pin drop among a bunch of usually rowdy grade 10s !

Reply #169
Unbelieveable !...yeah, you sort of have to pinch yourself when you look back & think about the calibre of player/gentleman who was involved ! Earlier on in that decade, he actually came up to our local high school (little school in Hobart !!) and gave a talk to our cricket side in 1984 !  How he was there & who organised it, I still have no idea, but for the whole time he was there talking, you could hear a pin drop among a bunch of usually rowdy grade 10s !

You know what made him a great coach, he didn't try to remodel every kid into a classic batsmen, he'd see what worked for them and tune it up to work against top quality bowlers.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #170
Bad day at the office ... AGAIN.

Khawaja MUST be dropped.  He has NO idea

Reply #171
Too many left handers, too many with rancid techniques.

Bad toss to loose. 

England won the ashes when Smudge got hit.  
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #172
6 for 19.  

Reply #173
Bad day at the office ... AGAIN.

Khawaja MUST be dropped.  He has NO idea

Yep, well Labuschagne has made it impossible to drop him when Smith comes back...so, yep bye bye Kahwaja.

& ...way too many leftys.  Wade really is not the bloke I want to see coming in at 6 in a tight situation.  Paine, doing a great job as skipper atm.....but showing what we miss with a good keeper batsman, even of Haddens skill & fight.

Reply #174
Yep, well Labuschagne has made it impossible to drop him when Smith comes back...so, yep bye bye Kahwaja.

& ...way too many leftys.  Wade really is not the bloke I want to see coming in at 6 in a tight situation.  Paine, doing a great job as skipper atm.....but showing what we miss with a good keeper batsman, even of Haddens skill & fight.

Heads must roll, Langer's included!
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #175
Gillespie was easily the better choice as coach.  Langer's a CA stooge.

Reply #176
No wonder I don’t watch us play test cricket because we are sh1t. Who the hell taught these guys basic batting technique? I stayed up late for nothing. Not that it took long to fall apart. Get Bolton to teach them the basics. It couldn’t get any worse.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #177
Been telling you blokes for ages,  Langer is a stooge and picks mates.

When it's dry (=Australian conditions)  and the balls doing little we are the superior side with bat and ball.   When it's moving we're rubbish.

Really like Markus,  plays like he gives a $'!# and it means something.   Khawaja has been an inconsistent,  under performer for ten years.   Simply has to go.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #179
They were 2-136 when Warner went.

So , 8 for 43.

To be fair, pretty tough conditions to bat under.  The ball was bobbling all over the place, and at speed.  In fact, early on it was almost moving too much - the ball missed the outside edge of Warner's bat by big margins (and not because he didn't offer a shot).  Once the movement was not so pronounced, it was more dangerous.

If we can get the same sort of conditions on Day 2, Cummins, Pattinson and Hazlewood will be a real handful - 179 might look like a good score, because their batting is hardly top-shelf either.
This is now the longest premiership drought in the history of the Carlton Football Club - more evidence of climate change?