Skip to main content
Topic: VFL 2024 Rd 2: Carlton vs North Melbourne at Arden St (Read 1036 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: VFL 2024 Rd 2: Carlton vs North Melbourne at Arden St

Reply #15
No young mids

Reply #16
No young mids

How many young mids do you want in the 2’s and though I’m reluctant to ask, who should be gone (mid season mind you…) to create room for these potential Brownlow medalists ?
Asking for a friend…
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #17
How many young mids do you want in the 2’s and though I’m reluctant to ask, who should be gone (mid season mind you…) to create room for these potential Brownlow medalists ?
Asking for a friend…

Got quite a few on the team already.
Considering we do have some blokes who would be getting a game of fit, you might have heard of them...
Sam Walsh
Sam Docherty
Jack Martin

Oh and next year we'll have 2 camporeales to add to Billy Wilson, jaxon binns and an injured Matt Carroll. I'm sure I'm forgetting a couple as well.

Reply #18
Got quite a few on the team already.
Considering we do have some blokes who would be getting a game of fit, you might have heard of them...
Sam Walsh
Sam Docherty
Jack Martin

Oh and next year we'll have 2 camporeales to add to Billy Wilson, jaxon binns and an injured Matt Carroll. I'm sure I'm forgetting a couple as well.
Kinda my point…
Though waiting for who gets booted…
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #19
Asking for a friend…

About two would be nice - Campo boys coming through I suppose but in this game we had no mid controlling the game

Reply #20
About two would be nice - Campo boys coming through I suppose but in this game we had no mid controlling the game
In ordinary business we would have Walsh in the seniors which would leave Carrol or Kennedy in the VFL.
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #21
Pitto wants to play seniors, and he should, maybe as soon as next week. His strength is important.

Good to see Cincotta play so well in the midfield. He might stay there, as there isn't a lot of midfield talent in the 2's at the moment. 5 tackles and 6 clearances says he did the job.

One of Kemp or Young comes up next week to replace ... guess who? Honestly, Marchbank is so injury prone. After this he has to come back via the VFL; he looked really short of a gallop, even though he did a decent job.

I am disappointed to see O'Keefe do so little, but how was he going to displace Pitto on that performance? Still, we need a lot of work in the 2's.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #22
Pittonet got 25 touches. He ever done that before. His disposal count best his hitout count!

Reply #23
Looking at the replay, I was really pleased by Cincotta's game in the middle. He was our only effective mid on the day, although the kids tried hard enough. His long kicking deep into the forward 50 would have been brilliant if there had been a target to hit and his ability to tackle and smother in the middle was pleasing.
I can't say that all of Pitto's kicks were that great, but he clearly had an edge over 2 highly rated kids and used it.

Billy Wilson impressed running out of defence, but he needs a lot of work on how to out-body an opponent: that was a clear weakness in my eyes. His overhead work needs a lot of work. His kicking didn't always hit the target either, but it was his first real game in our colours.

Akuei and Lemmey didn't impress me. The North forwards took big marks, and our defenders were not stopping them. Both of them need a lot more work on how to outbody an opponent. They need to be watching what Weitering does and initiating body contact.

Binns was really good early, but drifted out of the game. he had 17 possessions to half time, and 25 for the game.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #24
Rob Monahan didn't do a lot, but he had a nice kick to goal from distance. he was better after half time, but Comben dominated down there, taking 13 marks. Considering how raw Monahan was, I am willing to give him time.

Jack Lefroy from the VFL boys did a great job as a small forward: 7 possessions for 3 brilliant goals. Considering that we had no Cahill out there (who gives leadership to our forward line), he can be pleased with himself.

Our forwards really lacked leadership. Gill didn't do a lot, but looked dangerous, until he went off injured, leaving Monahan as our primary forward target. That didn't work.
Moir didn't do much in the first half, but was a lot more dangerous in the second half. He could easily had had 3 goals but for the bounce of the ball.

With so many holes in the line up, we were in front early in the last quarter. North kicked the last 4 goals to win, exploiting our inexperience.

Of the VFL lads, Maher looked very rusty, but he's had 2 serious injuries in a row, so it is no surprise he was a bit off the pace.
Will White looked promising. Some nice skills. He'll be better for the run.
Tom Phillips always looked to be under pressure. Not his best game, I'm sure.
Ramshaw and Stevens tried their guts out, but North had a lot more talent in the centre square than we did.
Luke Nelson impressed on debut from Coburg. He'll do a job for us regularly.
Lachie Young wasn't our worst either. He did a job on his small forward opponents and got some ball.

I'm looking forward to seeing Kristian Ferranato, who was named as an Emergency, Tyson Sruk (not named at all), Hugo Nosiara and Michael Rudd.
But, with our VFL list containing few experienced players and our AFL listed players being very raw, it looks like a very long year for the 2's.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #25
Kristian Ferranato is a very promising basketballer and will need to make a choice between the two sports, played U17 for Australia as a point guard but is a bit undersized at senior level and i reckon footy might be a better choice.

Reply #26
Looking at the replay, I was really pleased by Cincotta's game in the middle. He was our only effective mid on the day, although the kids tried hard enough. His long kicking deep into the forward 50 would have been brilliant if there had been a target to hit and his ability to tackle and smother in the middle was pleasing.
I can't say that all of Pitto's kicks were that great, but he clearly had an edge over 2 highly rated kids and used it.

Billy Wilson impressed running out of defence, but he needs a lot of work on how to out-body an opponent: that was a clear weakness in my eyes. His overhead work needs a lot of work. His kicking didn't always hit the target either, but it was his first real game in our colours.

Akuei and Lemmey didn't impress me. The North forwards took big marks, and our defenders were not stopping them. Both of them need a lot more work on how to outbody an opponent. They need to be watching what Weitering does and initiating body contact.

Binns was really good early, but drifted out of the game. he had 17 possessions to half time, and 25 for the game.

I was really pleased by Cincotta's game in the middle. He was our only effective mid on the day, although the kids tried hard enough. His long kicking deep into the forward 50 would have been brilliant if there had been a target to hit and his ability to tackle and smother in the middle was pleasing - AGREED

Akuei and Lemmey didn't impress me - MY THOUGHTS TOO - I AM STILL CONCERNED ABOUT LEMMEY'S AGILITY (OR LACK THEREOF) - MAYBE PLAYING AT CHB WILL AID IN HIS DEVELOPMENT

Binns was really good early, but drifted out of the game - HAS NICE SKILLS BUT SEEMS TO BE MAINLY A LINK PLAYER WHO GETS UNCONTESTED BALL.

Reply #27
In ordinary business we would have Walsh in the seniors which would leave Carrol or Kennedy in the VFL.
Fair points...I think Kennedy is important to how we operate and Carroll would be the fall guy who might slip to the sub role if I was picking the team. I think Durdin and Fantasia will be squeezed out when Martin and Motlop return and my preference is Carroll as the sub after his efforts in that role first game up this season..

Reply #28

That comes back to what I was saying in the VFL thread last year. We don't aim to win anything. It seems to be just a development run around. Why not try to build a winning culture and actively recruit some guys who can be that controlling mid regardless of who comes down from the 1st team?