Skip to main content
Topic: VFL Round 12: Northern Blues vs. Footscray (Read 9560 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: VFL Round 12: Northern Blues vs. Footscray

Reply #15
So what did MM see in Smith??  Extraordinary selections in retrospect.
He was high on my 'Do NOT recruit' list.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #16
I would suggest calling in Doctor Michael Hfuhruhurr to perform a brain transplant between Slug Ellard and Liam Jones.

;D ;D ;D
IN WADA WE TRUST

Reply #17
Overcast and colder than a politician's promise. Drizzled for a few minutes in the 2nd quarter but apart from that it remained dry. Ground was in good nick.

Picked a really bad game to get some idea of where some of our young blokes are at. Hardly any positives so I had to watch certain blokes really closely to see how they were handling getting beaten so comprehensively.

We lose by 100+ pts and beat Franger by more than that. Wow, Franger must have sent out their under 15s last week.

Didn't see Byrne out there.

I thought Tyrone Armitage was probably bog, closely followed by Fields, then Bransgrove, Soncin, Dick and perhaps Fraser Russell. To be honest though, our better players were blokes who weren't beaten badly, just beaten.

Walsh: Yes he has a terrific attitude and goes in hard but he's not clean enough with his hands at the moment and is too easily knocked off the ball or out of the contest. Going to also be tough for him due to his size. When you're that small you'd better have some tricks. Astonished he was mentioned in the better players.

Fields: For me he was one of the brighter lights. A good size and puts in strongly. Second efforts need work. One of the better NBs listed blokes. He let one go from full back and it was sensational - clipped the wing of the 3:45 Qantas flight Melbourne to Perth. Every bit of 75 metres+. When he is simply passing to a team mate can do the Ang C. thing with a 50+ metre left footer. Thinks like a footballer. Considering the dominance of the Dishlickers he was a brighter light.

Liam Jones: Looked much better in the ruck. And he's not that good in the ruck. Took a screamer in the first quarter. I watched him closely to see what he did off the ball - FA. He tried hard and his second efforts were there but for me his problems are all between the ears. He has the skills but there's something missing with understanding the game and working when the ball is not in his vicinity. I would suggest calling in Doctor Michael Hfuhruhurr to perform a brain transplant between Slug Ellard and Liam Jones.

Watson: Matty Watson only had one big problem in the game - an opponent. And this opponent did really weird things like body up and was quicker than Watson. When he was allowed to be loose in the backline in the last quarter he racked up possessions... no opponent. Did precious little. Though he did take one contested mark!!! Pick yourself up off the floor Ye Rat O' the River and have a stiff brandy.

Dick: Was one of the brighter lights in a very dim game. Put in and did some good things. Spent plenty of time in the midfield. Probably worth persisting with but has a fair way to go. Good size and probably only in the midfield due to so many mids in the seniors. With development you could see him as a 3rd strong defender.

Jayden Foster: Just not up to it at present. Showed glimpses but has a long, long way to go. Not sure I am that optimistic.

Jaksch: Had his shnozzle flattened early in the game so was very easily identified by the bandage around his head from then on. Had plenty of opportunities to show his wares with the aggott spending so much time in the Dishlickers forward line, but failed. Looked so much better when he could create ie getting himself loose as an attacking option off the backline. When this happened he looked capable and made good decisions. For mine he's being played out of position. Should be groomed as a key forward - would have been a better option than Watson and Foster. There is something there to work with.

Fraser Russell: Beaten like all his mates but showed something. Like to see more of him.

Dillon Hyphen: Hopeless. Didn't see anything to enthuse about.

Clem Smith: As for Dillon Hyphen.

Thanks for the report Baggers.
On Fields, saw him let one go last week at Etihard in the last quarter and he got to the centre of the ground. It was massive

Reply #18
As far as Foster goes, you won't know for a few years if he'll get there. It's something we learn time after time, most big blokes take ages. He's been pretty good for a few weeks. Who thought Casboult would get there after being rookied a few years ago. Need to wait on Foster.

Actually be worth ignoring the performance of forwards yesterday full stop as it will tell you nothing.

Glad you mentioned this about Foster. Considering the conditions and delivery you're right that it was not a good day for forwards, but you do look for how they handle any chance that comes their way and what they do when the aggott is not anywhere near them. I did find it interesting that he found himself double teamed at times, something the Dishlickers didn't do with Watson. I would much rather see Jaksch and Foster developed as key forwards for the NBs and send Watson down back... he won't be a part of the club next year so why bother with him. Give Jones a spell down back or keep him on ruck duties resting up forward.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #19
Glad you mentioned this about Foster. Considering the conditions and delivery you're right that it was not a good day for forwards, but you do look for how they handle any chance that comes their way and what they do when the aggott is not anywhere near them. I did find it interesting that he found himself double teamed at times, something the Dishlickers didn't do with Watson. I would much rather see Jaksch and Foster developed as key forwards for the NBs and send Watson down back... he won't be a part of the club next year so why bother with him. Give Jones a spell down back or keep him on ruck duties resting up forward.

I reckon Foster is our best prospect as a key forward.  I thought Jaksch showed a bit at the start of the season but he has really dropped off.  If he is going to make it, third tall forward may be his best chance.  Therefore, I'll go along with your proposition of playing Foster and Jaksch as the NBs' key forwards.

I thought Watson was a chance during the pre-season but he really doesn't seem to have what it takes to succeed.  Unfortunately, Jones seems to be a similar cat.  As much as I would like him to do well, I just don't think it is in him  :(
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #20

Watson: Matty Watson only had one big problem in the game - an opponent. And this opponent did really weird things like body up and was quicker than Watson. When he was allowed to be loose in the backline in the last quarter he racked up possessions... no opponent. Did precious little. Though he did take one contested mark!!! Pick yourself up off the floor Ye Rat O' the River and have a stiff brandy.

Just got up from the floor.

He took a contested mark last week too - albeit against someone smaller and weaker than he is.

Thanks for the report Baggers - glad I didn't go.