Skip to main content
Topic: Round 14 - Blues v Western Bulldogs (Aftermatch Aftermath) (Read 40955 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Round 14 - Blues v Western Bulldogs (Aftermatch Aftermath)

Reply #30
Boekhurst looked lost at this level. The boys did show plenty of endeavour though.
IN WADA WE TRUST

Reply #31
Worst standard game I've attended all year bar none, fecking terrible. If that mob is top 8, I'll go eat mud......I mean seriously, put some sustained pressure on that team and they turn to schit.

Holman.....yes. Boekhorst.....no. Whiley.......no. Johnson......hell no.

Our forwards were mostly rubbish, especially without Everitt. Too many injuries to cover.....by halfway through the last quarter, we had 7 players missing from last week's team.....that's a third of the team and that's a tough ask for any team.

Kreuzer was just plain awful.....really awful and that also hurt us. Then there's the kicking for goal.....again. Kick the goals we should've kicked and we win that game.

Tuohy was huge and Graham is now a must-have midfielder. Could've, should've won this one.
Football is life, there is nothing else....

Reply #32
Elwood, I was there, and your summary, well, it sums it up.

Yeah we lost players, but I can tell you this.
They are going through this mob with a fine tooth comb.

If Henderson wants to go, there would be little opposition, but he'll probably stay because he can't pack mark to save his life and he plays one reasonable game, and goes missing in the rest. And the other clubs know it!!!

Yarran may well be traded. He's not a shadow of his former self, and when, in the third quarter he was 50 out from goal, and instead of taking the shot, passed the ball to a contest, that said it all for me and I'm sure those in authority at  our Club know what I mean,. I'll leave it at that.

Murphy. He ain't Ablett, or judd, or going back in time, the Dominator, or Sellwood, or Hodge, he isn 't any of those.

Mark Murphy will never rise to the occasion and win a game off his boot for us. Yes, he'll have some very good games, but when you want him to be a frigging Captain and inspire, he is incapable of doing the job. AND as he has been doing for years now, will turn the ball over time and again. he needs to be replaced as captain next year. I would have no hesitation giving the job to Cripps. yes, he's young and inexperienced, but what a phenomenal player. I saw him yell at our blokes to get on their opponents. On one occasion, he went at the ball in a pack situation 3 times and got it out with sheer will and determination. What an example to players much older, supposedly wiser and far more experienced than him.

I recall when they put Gibbs in the leadership group as an 18 year or 19 year old. Gibbs was never the type of player that should have been there. Much like Sam Rowe today. Cripps is worth 22 Gibbs'. He's the future, make him the Captain next year.

Wood moves like a log of, well, wood.
Some of our turnovers from experienced players like Simmo and the open mouthed Curnow, were inexcusable. Casboult was asleep. Bell,did what bell does. One good game, last weeks, one cr@p game, this weeks. And his disposal is worse than my 2 year old grand daughters.

I actually thought the back line functioned far better with Jammo and Touhey back there and Rowe out. Add Docherty to it, and they would have gone close tonight. They really withstood a lot of pressure.
As I said, Elwood, you summed up the cr@ppy players well. But I have to say that Graham was ordinary tonight, and a major weakness in his game was on display. he can't think quickly enough, and at this point in time, he doesn't have the gift of a football brain. In other words, he aint good enough and it remains to be seen if he ever will be. I thought Holmann was ordinary too.

I have to say something about Boekhoerst. Nup, I better not. He'll sue me.

I would love to have known what barker said to the players before the game and at the breaks.

He says he's not coaching for the job, but I don't believe that. I reckon it's human nature for him to want to have the job.

To me, the instructions should have been simple. You kick backwards unless it's absolutely necessary, you get fined $500 out of your pay. Take the game on for the 120 minutes. No stupid short passing. take responsibility to kick a goal if you have the opportunity. etc. Etc

What I got out of tonight, is that the Dogs are an ordinary team.

We carried at least 12 passengers tonight together with injuries, and they only fell in.

Against a hawthorn, however,, we would have been slaughtered tonight.

We still have to keep playing the youngsters and see what the next two and a half moths produces.

The fact is that SOS has got a huge job., 15 years of neglect and incompetence is a lot to overcome.

From what I know, they are seeing exactly what we are seeing, and expect a decent clean out at the end of the year.

The pressure is on them to do a hell of a lot better.

I want to see another flag in my lifetime.

And I will curse them from hell, coz I reckon I've got a room booked there already, if they don't deliver me one before I depart this planet.

Worst long post I've read  in 10 years.
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #34
Worst standard game I've attended all year bar none, fecking terrible. If that mob is top 8, I'll go eat mud......I mean seriously, put some sustained pressure on that team and they turn to schit.

Holman.....yes. Boekhorst.....no. Whiley.......no. Johnson......hell no.

Our forwards were mostly rubbish, especially without Everitt. Too many injuries to cover.....by halfway through the last quarter, we had 7 players missing from last week's team.....that's a third of the team and that's a tough ask for any team.

Kreuzer was just plain awful.....really awful and that also hurt us. Then there's the kicking for goal.....again. Kick the goals we should've kicked and we win that game.

Tuohy was huge and Graham is now a must-have midfielder. Could've, should've won this one.

Seriously mate an 11 point loss without Walker, Gibbs, Menzel, Docherty, Rowe, Carazzo, Ellard, Thomas and an injured Everitt and Cripps is hardly soul crushing stuff. Boekhorst was the only really substandard performance. Whiley, Johnson and Holman deserve another crack.
IN WADA WE TRUST

Reply #35
Jamison was very good .

2E was brilliant.

Couple of posters have written these two guys off repeatedly over the last two years and they were great.

I have similar faith in a few blokes written off tonight.

Dickheads say "Play the Kids" , so we play the kids and some don't have great games so they say "he's crap"

Not enough brains to fill a small sausage casing .

Agree.

That's how it works isn't it? Play the kids, then they play a bad games, no good, career finished. Bet every one of those kids played better than Simmo did in his first 3 games. Imagine at that time how he would've been written off as useless, not up to it, rubbish etc...after doughnuts the first 3 games. If people want kids played take the good with the bad in the early days as their will be bad days. We'll find out eventually if they're not up to it we'll soon know. Supporters never learn for one day to the next.

Reply #36
If Henderson wants to go, there would be little opposition, but he'll probably stay because he can't pack mark to save his life and he plays one reasonable game, and goes missing in the rest. And the other clubs know it!!!

Spot on. Waaaaaaayyyyy overrated.

Yarran may well be traded. He's not a shadow of his former self, and when, in the third quarter he was 50 out from goal, and instead of taking the shot, passed the ball to a contest, that said it all for me and I'm sure those in authority at  our Club know what I mean,. I'll leave it at that.

Just a pi55weak lazy game from Yarran. If he's not carrying an injury he should be gone.

Murphy. He ain't Ablett, or judd, or going back in time, the Dominator, or Sellwood, or Hodge, he isn 't any of those.

Mark Murphy will never rise to the occasion and win a game off his boot for us. Yes, he'll have some very good games, but when you want him to be a frigging Captain and inspire, he is incapable of doing the job. AND as he has been doing for years now, will turn the ball over time and again. he needs to be replaced as captain next year. I would have no hesitation giving the job to Cripps. yes, he's young and inexperienced, but what a phenomenal player. I saw him yell at our blokes to get on their opponents. On one occasion, he went at the ball in a pack situation 3 times and got it out with sheer will and determination. What an example to players much older, supposedly wiser and far more experienced than him.

I think you're a little harsh on Murph, thought he won some pretty tough ball in there last night. Disposal is slightly overrated. Gimme the ball in the hands of Nicky G any day of the week and twice on Sundays.

Wood moves like a log of, well, wood.

TBF I thought Kreuzer was slower.

Some of our turnovers from experienced players like Simmo and the open mouthed Curnow, were inexcusable.

Simpsons turnover when he was coming out of defence was a disgrace. Curnover name says it all.

Casboult was asleep. Bell,did what bell does. One good game, last weeks, one cr@p game, this weeks. And his disposal is worse than my 2 year old grand daughters.

Bell is an awful kick of the footy. Great in pretty much every other area except the one that counts most.

As I said, Elwood, you summed up the cr@ppy players well. But I have to say that Graham was ordinary tonight, and a major weakness in his game was on display. he can't think quickly enough, and at this point in time, he doesn't have the gift of a football brain. In other words, he aint good enough and it remains to be seen if he ever will be. I thought Holmann was ordinary too.

Disagree immensely. Pretty much the only bloke capable of lacing out a pass inside 50m. Thought he was excellent.

Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #37
A reality check tonight.

Not really, a reality check would've been losing with Gibbs, Carazzo, Docherty, Judd, Menzel, Everitt, Cripps, Rowe et al in the side. Or perhaps getting beat by 10 goals. Instead we were undermanned but still put in a fair effort and in the end should've won, with our lack of polish costing us more than anything else. Pretty much everyone agreed that we would struggle to win with that team out there and that at least a fair effort was required, which we put in.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #38
Instead we were undermanned but still put in a fair effort and in the end should've won, ..........

I just don't get this at all.
We should have won if we kicked straighter, didn't turn the ball over, hit up our targets, ran and spread better, or all of these and a few more?
In short, we should have won if we played better.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #39
Agree.

That's how it works isn't it? Play the kids, then they play a bad games, no good, career finished.  Supporters never learn for one day to the next.

Johnson was pick 40 odd in the rookie draft of 2013, history tells us that it's highly unlikely that he'll make the grade at AFL level, Boekhurst and Whiley aren't kids.
Same goes for Jaksch, third year at senior level and he's anchored in the VFL, was pick 7 a good price?
Holman shows a bit, not a lot but enough to persevere with, the other four look very ordinary to me.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #40
I just don't get this at all.
We should have won if we kicked straighter, didn't turn the ball over, hit up our targets, ran and spread better, or all of these and a few more?
In short, we should have won if we played better.

Okay, just kick straight and we win. No doubt about that. Do you get it now? I know you'd rather have people believe the sky is falling because that's what you've been preaching for a while but it simply isn't the case.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #41
Pinched this off BF.

Gradual improvement. Fork off Mick you imbecile.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #42
I like that Barks said he wasn't into honourable losses. Good stuff. It was an honourable loss but so what. We want to be into winning.

There is a palpable culture growing in this group and it is a culture of sustained hardness that we've not seen from our club for many, many years.

Boekhorst is probably the only 'kid' who really worries me, but perhaps this kind of game didn't suit a 'one-way' outside player. Serious doubts over whether this high pick can make it. Has to learn a lot and change a lot to be a part of the culture that is growing.

We only lost this game due to terrible, fundamental errors and missing a few key blokes. What a pity Juddy didn't get to play in this culture, he would have torn it up.

Hard to cop a loss but I would rather our future than the Dishlickers.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #43
I left Etihad feeling a bit disappointed and frozen! However I wasn't devastated and I think we could have got up had we have kicked better for goal - I looked at the scoreboard at one stage and we were 4.11.

Much of the story has already been written but overall, our defence held its own, especially Tuohy and Jamo, our midfield were probably beaten on the night (haven't checked all the stats). Murphy had a tough night and received a lot of attention. Cripps was really a shining light and Graham is emerging as a very important contributor for us. Kreuz had one of his more ordinary games.  Our forward division was our major let down and where we really lost the game IMHO. We were ragged and that comedy sketch between Wood and Casboult just about summed it up for me. When Everitt was injured that was about end of story in terms of any hope. We need major improvements here as a matter of highest priority.

It's pretty obvious we are methodically sorting the sheep from the goats whilst trying not to be run over by crushing defeat so I guess last night wasn't too bad in terms of effort and staying with them until the finish. Richmond will be a tougher job of course and getting a stronger 22 out there, including Gibbs, will be essential if we are not to be embarrassed.

Also, looks like Cripps and Everitt's injuries aren't serious

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-07-05/blues-hopeful-key-duo-escaped-serious-injury
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #44
A game that we lost not the Bulldogs winning.

Boekhorst is such a carbon copy of Lucas it is scary. He along with Curnow and Johnson were involved in a couple of passages of play when we were on top and they just failed to hit targets and stuffed both plays up.

How a full time recruiter with the experience of drafting Lucas before and watching an inordinate amount of games can still pick Boekhorst I have no idea. Just another ticks all the boxes has some speed, has some size, has some skill jack of all trades master of none pick. That's why Gibbs' career has stalled because they actually don't excel in anything. If you look at Hawthorn and Sydney etc all their palyers they pick actually excel at one particular aspect.

Graham is a gun though, reminds me of Sam Mitchell a bit just a real natural footballer.