Skip to main content
Topic: Culture (Read 43651 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Culture

Reply #15
Organisational culture is a concept that is easily misused and can mean different things to different folk.

Given its part of my trade, there can be a tendancy to see culture, if it is able to be identified, as the problem and address it head on. I would prefer to see culture as the set of behaviours and preferences that staff, and thus an organisation tend to display, especially under pressure.

Culture is thus more a symptom or a consequence of these behaviours. Addressing such a culture, if it is considered a problem is thus better undertaken by attempting to adjust work practices and behaviours of staff, setting different expectations and so forth.

In short, it is hard, and changing behaviours, especially under pressure is enormously difficult, which is why it often leads to sackings, resignations and new people brought in.

But what will fail is an attempt by senior management to unequivocally state that culture has to change and then expect people to understand what it means for them. It is day to day work practices, style and manner that has to change, and this can only realistically come from the top.

For a professional sporting team, a culture of highly driven individuals has to be enmeshed with a culture of team work. This is tricky, and requires the right mix of personalities. The company leading teams has made plenty of coin flogging their wares to AFL clubs, but as far as i can tell their model is pretty similar to what many in organisational development have been doing for years. It's in essence establishing a set of desirable principles for an organisation, translating these to day to day work practices (this typically falls on middle management and is critical) and holding each other accountable for this. Rinse and repeat.

Good things can grow out of this, but it takes great commitment over time. Carlton have lacked this across many parts of its organisation, and the worse it gets (as demonstrated by results), the more drastic the means to address it, and the greater the risks change entails.

I have been pleasantly surprised by many of the changes made in the past few months at CFC. Whether they yield good results is unknown, but they are trying, which is all they can do.

Reply #16
I worry about you sometimes MBB  ::)

It's his defence mechanism albeit a very poor one. He's probably still stinging a little from the weekend as well
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #17
I think this concept of club culture teeters precariously. It's the wedge on a bridge's foundation stone holding up the span that takes you from tragedy to success. Remove one tiny little piece and the road to success is gone, Carlton love removing stones.

As Vivian states, building culture comes form the top, and it's dead easy to destroy from the top as well. One mixed message, one sign of blame or a double standard and it's over, the structure will collapse. MM appeared to be a master demolitions expert, but he wasn't alone in this regard.

The real question might be, is there a more durable solution? Is planned obsolescence a better solution?

For example, it will be very interesting to see what happens with the Dawks next weekend, if they have another implosion one might say that Carlton has pulled out one of their stones!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #18
Culture is what you blame when you have no idea what's wrong. It's the equivalent of saying our problem is we don't make enough money.

Are our players not coming to training?
Are they purposely screwing up their recovery?
Are they ignoring their match day requirements?

Or do we think we happen to run the perfect organisation and we have the worst luck in the word in picking guys who can't get with it?

Far easier to say culture, blame those who are where the problem surfaces thann to find the root cause.

Reply #19
Culture is overated....West Coast were as high as kites when they were successful, Malthouse allowed Shaw, Didak and the ratpack to do what they wanted as long as they won games....
Winning games builds culture....having a list of choir boys wont win you a premiership, having a few characters who live on the edge are needed to balance up the introverts as long as your characters are not extreme serial offenders...you dont go recruiting Harley Bennell for example..

Well said!

Reply #21
On field culture is at it's lowest ebb. We get rid of so-called bad boys, nothing's changed,
Really? How many of our blokes this year got knocked out 5am on a Sunday, received a broken eye socket in the process and then said they did it sparring with their private boxing coach? Gimme a break will ya!!
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #22
Neither clubs had sustained success.
Ask Geelong, Hawthorn and Sydney about culture.

I think you will find that the culture isn't that much different at the playing level, but very different at board level.

Hawthorn in particular has a carefully crafted club persona that is almost unrelated to the playing list.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #23
Carltons cultural problem is driven by its constitution

When you have board directors that have a guaranteed 12 years of sitting on the board things turn too slowly. ..we have directors like gleeson who are still on the board since pagans days...

Your mate changed the constitution. A constitution that had stood for 150 years and made us the most successful club in history.

I don't think you can blame the constitution.

Reply #24
Really? How many of our blokes this year got knocked out 5am on a Sunday, received a broken eye socket in the process and then said they did it sparring with their private boxing coach? Gimme a break will ya!!

Wow that was so damaging to the club....not!

Would've killed for a Robbo this year.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #25
Your mate changed the constitution. A constitution that had stood for 150 years and made us the most successful club in history.

I don't think you can blame the constitution.

Come back to me why 12 year terms of directors is ok...

Reply #26

The tribe spoke after the lost trust. So you wold just set the team rules but then when someone "special" breaks the team rules, you would change them would you ? Come mate, let it go. He forked up time after time then lost trust of the players and they voted him out. Its great that he got the kick in the ass he required, hope he goes onto bigger and better things as a result. Some blokes who a immature need a jolt to make them wake up and smell the roses. Football clubs teach life lessons, sometime they benefit the player rather than the club as in the case of Robbo. That life.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #27
Come back to me why 12 year terms of directors is ok...

Who has challenged Gleesons position?

If nobody wants to challenge, they get automatically reelected.

FYI, your mate changed the constitution so that he has to approve who can actually run to get elected! That lessens the chance that people win actually run, and lessen the chance even more that they will actually replace anyone!

Great rule that is! Not.

Reply #28

Who is now studying sports journalism, writes A blog for Brisbane FC website, won a best and fairest and showed great leadership to a young group this year.

We don't work with these guys, We cast them off at the first sign of trouble.
"We are a club in a hurry"

#united #reset

Reply #29
Who has challenged Gleesons position?

If nobody wants to challenge, they get automatically reelected.

FYI, your mate changed the constitution so that he has to approve who can actually run to get elected! That lessens the chance that people win actually run, and lessen the chance even more that they will actually replace anyone!

Great rule that is! Not.
The more I think about it the angrier I get. We have been shizenhouzen for how long now (bar the odd good year here and there)? Whats the common denominator? The basket case of a board and its factions and pissing contests! It just gotta forken change for us to move in the direction required for sustained success.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th