Skip to main content
Topic: Pre game Discussion Round 13 Suns v Carlton in Darwin. (Read 11318 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Pre game Discussion Round 13 Suns v Carlton in Darwin.

Reply #46
'Bout the same as MEL - PER
Yes, very very surprised we went straight to Brisbane when we could have gone straight to Darwin and had one less 4hr flight in the week. Not sure what the Darwin COVID rules are like, but it seems we had no choice but to go the one of the AFL hubs in Qld.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #47
Interesting thought... Chris Yarran won more finals than Zaharakis and Hurley combined (all 3 drafted in the same year).

Exactly my point.

Do you remember what it was like expecting us to make finals and being filled with disappointed not to play for the flag?

Do you remember what it was like expecting us to win most weeks, and being disappointed when we fell short?

Do you know what I remember more and more frequently?  Being in cruise control against Hawthorn, and copping two goals in red time two weeks ago and having a sinking feeling "here we go again".  Being in a commanding position, only not to capitalise on the good work, and throwing a game away.  Or just not showing up at all, and being beaten without firing a shot.

We have fallen a very long way, and whilst I appreciate that some are happy for us to have progressed to a point where losing hurts again this season (for the first time since 2013 I might add) the rest of us, are not exactly filled with pure optimism.  In fact, some of us have been conditioned to expect to be let down.

There is no one thing to blame for this but our footy clubs performance.  Its just the state of play.  This is how its been more often than not over the last 20 years.  Since roughly 2001, only the 2010 to 2012 period stands out as a reversal of this trend, and it all came crashing down in a sea of disappointment once the Judd affect wore off.  Teague seems to be reversing this trend, but we have been conditioned to expect to be let down.  Blame our footy club for that.  Not the fans for realistically expecting these outcomes.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #48
Now EB1 dear friend, you and I both know that we don't do 'comfortable' anything, especially winning, at the good ship Princes Park!!  ;)
I know what you mean but I'm hoping those days are over Baggers and we do things in a normal fashion and beat the teams we should. Maybe I am too optimistic but there really isnt much difference in the teams outside the top 6 and to lose to GC would be a major setback IMO given they are a bunch of kids and have run out of gas like in past seasons.

Reply #49
Friday 21 August

Summary Min 21 Max 33

Sunny. Chance of any rain: 0%

Darwin City and Outer Darwin area

Sunny. Light winds.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #50
20 years of mediocrity will do that to you.
Indeed. Except we didn't get as high as 'mediocre' that often.
This is the longest break between premierships that we have ever had.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #51
If we're fair dinkum about keeping finals chances, albeit slim, still open, then this is a no-brainer....simply must win.

GC have looked super impressive at times this year and some of their young blokes are outstanding. But we can match them in the middle I think. Big challenge for TDK against Witts but reckon he's super hungry at the moment and put up a huge effort against Natanui.

Eddie needs some goals this week or it's a stint on the sidelines for him. Hopefully McGovern gets up for this week.....any word on the fitness of Cunningham? And assuming Martin still another week or two at least away?

Reply #52
Friday 21 August

Summary Min 21 Max 33

Sunny. Chance of any rain: 0%

Darwin City and Outer Darwin area

Sunny. Light winds.

I'll see if i can check and post later today, but currently its 45% humidity, Sunday morning we had our 1/2 marathon and humidity was 94% @ 7.30am. The weather has turned and we are entering the build up, it'll be a good game to get a strong start and put a score on the board.
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #53
I'll see if i can check and post later today, but currently its 45% humidity, Sunday morning we had our 1/2 marathon and humidity was 94% @ 7.30am. The weather has turned and we are entering the build up, it'll be a good game to get a strong start and put a score on the board.

And remember, Suns played last night!

Doubly hard on them....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #54
If we're fair dinkum about keeping finals chances, albeit slim, still open, then this is a no-brainer....simply must win.

GC have looked super impressive at times this year and some of their young blokes are outstanding. But we can match them in the middle I think. Big challenge for TDK against Witts but reckon he's super hungry at the moment and put up a huge effort against Natanui.

Eddie needs some goals this week or it's a stint on the sidelines for him. Hopefully McGovern gets up for this week.....any word on the fitness of Cunningham? And assuming Martin still another week or two at least away?

Rankine looked very tired, and all but disinterested, at times last night.

4 day turnaround plus heat and humidity works hugely in our favour.

Just need to move the ball quick forward.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #55
Having played three seasons in Darwin,  if the humidity has kicked in,  the least acclimatised side will find it very tough.   Heat (it's only August)  + humidity is bloody hard work.

Mararra was a good facility,  except the grass is very coarse and rough (and full of $()#! ants).  The pockets are very deep, the ground is a bit of a fat oval-shape if you know what I mean.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #57
Looks like the Big Pit, Cunners and Martin should be good to go, McGovern 3 weeks away and Kennedy is getting over a corkie and will be a test.

Reply #58

I literally just heard on the radio then Gov is out for another 2-3 weeks due to more hamstring problems. They showed him going for scans on TV last night but it was "just precautionary" according to the reporter. On the radio just then, it sounded definitive.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #59
My uneducated guess:

Out:   Honey (omitted), Gibbons (managed), Simpson (managed) 

In:      Martin, Cunningham, Pittonett

If Kennedy doesn't come up, Dow to come in.