Skip to main content
Topic: Post Game Participation: AFL Rd 11: Carlton vs West Coast (Read 15939 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Post Game Participation: AFL Rd 11: Carlton vs West Coast

Reply #15
Plowman should be dropped for agreeing with that umpire. We had two up the other end where they picked the ball up and tried to fend off.
I thought there were 3 identical HTBs at our end but yeah.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #16
Cripps is still not right, I suppose that will be his story for 2020.
Looks injured, not moving that freely and felt for the ball when he had a chance to mark it which is unlike him to lack intensity. His confidence is down, all the tagging and crap he has copped is taking its toll. Yeo is a tough opponent but he just looks off and I'd be tempted to rest him.

Reply #17
That was a fairly good 4 quarter game. The boys stuck with it and you seriously cannot say they didn't give 100%. Pressure at the player was the best I've seen for a long time. The loss of Martin hurt bad. It always seems to be a influential player for us. One less rotation started to show towards the end but I was actually proud of how they didn't give in.
WILL NOT talk about the umpiring, but for one incident. 3rd quarter, Fisher had just kicked his 4th. The ball is popped to just 20 metres out from our goals. Cripps somehow dropped a lollipop. My God what goes on there? Anyway, King Nat takes procession tries to break free because, you know, he's a superstar and that's what superstars do. He gets collared. Does not get rid of it and in fact drops the ball which for anyone who knows football is called "incorrect disposal". What happens? Ball up. All hail King Nat (thankyou pinhead #22, again). So instead of getting a 20 metre kick from directly in front to extend our lead to, I think, 4 goals it goes down the other end for the start of the 5 goal match winning run.
That right there is what I keep trying to explain to the wife is called a momentum killer. Thankyou pinhead #22.
Also, can someone tell me, is Shuey a repeat offender on the trip. I seem to recall him doing this before?

Reply #18
That was a fairly good 4 quarter game. The boys stuck with it and you seriously cannot say they didn't give 100%. Pressure at the player was the best I've seen for a long time. The loss of Martin hurt bad. It always seems to be a influential player for us. One less rotation started to show towards the end but I was actually proud of how they didn't give in.
WILL NOT talk about the umpiring, but for one incident. 3rd quarter, Fisher had just kicked his 4th. The ball is popped to just 20 metres out from our goals. Cripps somehow dropped a lollipop. My God what goes on there? Anyway, King Nat takes procession tries to break free because, you know, he's a superstar and that's what superstars do. He gets collared. Does not get rid of it and in fact drops the ball which for anyone who knows football is called "incorrect disposal". What happens? Ball up. All hail King Nat (thankyou pinhead #22, again). So instead of getting a 20 metre kick from directly in front to extend our lead to, I think, 4 goals it goes down the other end for the start of the 5 goal match winning run.
That right there is what I keep trying to explain to the wife is called a momentum killer. Thankyou pinhead #22.
Also, can someone tell me, is Shuey a repeat offender on the trip. I seem to recall him doing this before?
Agree on Shuey....remember him tripping others, should be suspended...

Reply #19
I was pretty proud to be honest. 

We were missing MCG, Harry, Martin from the first quarter. 

Thought the new boys did really well.  Love watching Cottrell run, lightning. And he seems to have a little Robbo about him, not taking a backward step. TDK wasn’t overawed at all, and is exciting to think of his future.

Thought that team played Pretty well, ran out of gas in the third when their big bodies smashing into us made us lose steam.

Don’t really get the hate for Murph, some of his handballs were bullets.  He can’t tackle though can he. Hm.

Thought Samo was great? He threw himself where was needed, sure he made a few errors but those HTB were bullcrap.

Cripps seems to be struggling - a few costly errors.

Nice to see Fish back.  And Kennedy was strong and brave.

I’m entirely sick of people saying the umpiring doesn’t matter.  It really does.  They continuously dropped the balls when he tackled, and it was play on.  The HTB was the most disgraceful decision. What was the 50 for? As said, NicNat was caught in front of our goals exactly the same, play on.   GTFO.  My logical mind says there can be no bias, umpires don’t care who wins. But this happens time and time again.

Reply #20
Who the feck is that umpire, and how the feck does he get away with that rubbish?

That rubbish would not even cut it at VFL Reserves level!

Listening to our guys, Plowman in particular, sounds like we were worded up not to argue, probably makes them worse!
Who this guy?
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #21
22 screwed us badly in another game: I remember a few bad decisions and it was the same guy.

Also that Shuey trip wasn’t even a free kick for us?

Can I say how nice it was to listen to a non biased commentator in Daisy.  So refreshing for someone to call it like it was happening, not worrying about offending the old boys or going to script on anti Carlton diatribe like Fugly Ling likes to to do.

Reply #22
Shuey, low impact, accidental, careless, no fine, play on!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #23
I would have loved a win, but given our long injury list and losing Martin early on, I'm happy with the way everyone put in.

I think any chance we had of winning was lost in the third quarter when WC got a run on and kicked 4 or 5 goals in about ten minutes and Teague just left Pittonet in the ruck.  NicNat had killed him in the first quarter and did the same in the third.  Had TDK been thrown into the middle after their second goal we may have stopped their run.

Very impressed with TDK and Cottrell.

Reply #24
re: Murphy....I'd be more concerned about SPS...

Really ? I thought SPS were very solid today. Was on the end of some very unlucky decisions but thought he used the ball well tackled hard and overall thought he really contested with urgency today. Not easy to defend when their is such a lack of midfield pressure in the last quarter and a half. The ball flew out of the centre too often.

Cripps is way out of form his mis on goal again costs us momentum at an important point and his half mark attempt when he thought he was going to get contact in the goalsquare at start of the third was a massive turning point imo. They piled on 5 in a row from that very point. If that was any other player we would tear strips off them he shouldn’t be allowed to forget that one and needs to repay the team imo. I love the bloke but he is our captain and reckon we need a lot more from him then we have got this year
Of the others Kennedy’s best game imo, Fisher made every post a winner, Dekoning belongs in the 1sts and thought Weitering looked tired as the game went on. Massive holes in the midfield and said it countless times unless it’s addressed in the offseason we will be a middle of the road team at best.

Very winnable games in the next fortnight - need to notch wins or the gains till this point will mean little.

Reply #25
I would have loved a win, but given our long injury list and losing Martin early on, I'm happy with the way everyone put in.

I think any chance we had of winning was lost in the third quarter when WC got a run on and kicked 4 or 5 goals in about ten minutes and Teague just left Pittonet in the ruck.  NicNat had killed him in the first quarter and did the same in the third.  Had TDK been thrown into the middle after their second goal we may have stopped their run.

Probably had to get a lot out of Pittonet before the injection/s wore off!

Doubt TDK could ruck much more time and remain competitive.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #26

Pitto as also off for 33 mins with some sort of injury.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #27
I was pretty proud to be honest. 

We were missing MCG, Harry, Martin from the first quarter. 

Thought the new boys did really well.  Love watching Cottrell run, lightning. And he seems to have a little Robbo about him, not taking a backward step. TDK wasn’t overawed at all, and is exciting to think of his future.

Thought that team played Pretty well, ran out of gas in the third when their big bodies smashing into us made us lose steam.

Don’t really get the hate for Murph, some of his handballs were bullets.  He can’t tackle though can he. Hm.

Thought Samo was great? He threw himself where was needed, sure he made a few errors but those HTB were bullcrap.

Cripps seems to be struggling - a few costly errors.

Nice to see Fish back.  And Kennedy was strong and brave.

I’m entirely sick of people saying the umpiring doesn’t matter.  It really does.  They continuously dropped the balls when he tackled, and it was play on.  The HTB was the most disgraceful decision. What was the 50 for? As said, NicNat was caught in front of our goals exactly the same, play on.   GTFO.  My logical mind says there can be no bias, umpires don’t care who wins. But this happens time and time again.
SPS is too inconsistent with his attack on the ball and for every tackle he lays the opposition break the next one or he just doesn't go hard enough. Down back that's a problem, prefer him up the ground in the Midfield. Cotterell has a light body but gives chasing, tackling 110% everytime and you know he will contest well, that's all I want from SPS.

Reply #28
I guess we just have to lie with the umpiring. It is one of those things against us each week. I could complain bitterly, but I won't. It won't help my dopamine levels.

But the other thing that is annoying me of late, and it is almost as bad as the Umpiring, is the bagging of Marc Murphy.
I agree totally that he is not near his best. I agree totally that his body now has problems and tackling is not longer easy for him.
I agree totally that he can't be in the centre square as much as he once was.
But Murphy had 23 possessions today: more than any other Carlton player. And he didn't waste that many of them.

I know a lot of supporters, especially here, think Murphy is soft. I can't say I ever have. There was a time, not long ago, when his tackling was first rate. I can think of a lot of times that he put his body on the line.

I admit freely that there have been times when Murphy has not played as hard as I would him to have played. But that is not the majority of the time.

I have written a number of times that I think Murphy should be in a forward pocket with short periods on the ball. He is very clever near goals and is an excellent snap. I still think that is the case.
Maybe the club will try that. But probably not. My suggestions seem not to be well liked by our coaching staff.

But give up blaming Murphy for every bad thing that happens to us! It is ridiculous! He is a good player nearing the end of his time as a player! If you don't like Murphy, fine. Enjoy your dislike. But stop using him as the focus of our failures. It is not all his fault. There is plenty of fault to go around!
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #29
Just looked at the Team stats. They beat us in all but 3 categories. Inside 50's, contested marks and Tackles! Our 77 to their 56. That is outstanding. Has to be a while since we've dominated in that area. Signs of improvement? For me just shows they were really ready to have a crack. Have to say there were bad moments for all of our blokes today but overall I really can't fault anyone. Some real criticism of Murphy and SPS but for me that was the best I've seen both of them play since round 1 and I'm critic of both!?