Skip to main content
Topic: Sir Doug Nicholls Round (Read 1143 times) previous topic - next topic

Sir Doug Nicholls Round

Whilst the plights of Carlton are our focus on this forum, I think it's very important we acknowledge Sir Doug Nicholls round in its entirety. I would like to acknowledge the wonderful Indigenous culture in this country, which I personally want to learn much more about, and the magnificently talented football players it has gifted us. We are blessed to have it and should respect and learn more from it.
It would be remiss of me to not acknowledge our current indigenous boys led by Eddie but also a past great in Syd Jackson who I have had the pleasure of meeting and finer gentleman and Carlton person you would be hard pressed to find.
Enjoy the round, enjoy the culture  and the joy it brings us, in this instance through football, not only today, but every day.
Cheers
#freetheflag
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Re: Sir Doug Nicholls Round

Reply #1
Whilst the plights of Carlton are our focus on this forum, I think it's very important we acknowledge Sir Doug Nicholls round in its entirety. I would like to acknowledge the wonderful Indigenous culture in this country, which I personally want to learn much more about, and the magnificently talented football players it has gifted us. We are blessed to have it and should respect and learn more from it.
It would be remiss of me to not acknowledge our current indigenous boys led by Eddie but also a past great in Syd Jackson who I have had the pleasure of meeting and finer gentleman and Carlton person you would be hard pressed to find.
Enjoy the round, enjoy the culture  and the joy it brings us, in this instance through football, not only today, but every day.
Cheers

Bloody well said, GTC. Thank you mate.

Yes, our indigenous folks deserve enormous acknowledgement and respect on this round of footy... and every day, really. So much of their culture/spirituality is simply beautiful and deeply respectful of Mother Earth.

To all the AFL and AFLW and indeed all footy indigenous folks... thank you.

GTC... ripper idea to create this thread, thanks again.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #2
Bloody well said, GTC. Thank you mate.

Yes, our indigenous folks deserve enormous acknowledgement and respect on this round of footy... and every day, really. So much of their culture/spirituality is simply beautiful and deeply respectful of Mother Earth.

To all the AFL and AFLW and indeed all footy indigenous folks... thank you.

GTC... ripper idea to create this thread, thanks again.
This. And thanks Baggers, it is up to us. As John Kennedy so famously said, "dont think, do"
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #3
And I also think that this round, all games, should be played in NT every year.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #4
Just read this ABC article - sad to say the least.

I can't remember specifically the way my mates and importantly myself acted at the time Robert Muir was playing but I know it would be very different to how it is now. I too must share some of the guilt of our past sins and hope that we are now better placed to respect and admire the wonderful contribution our indigenous players make to our game, community & country.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-08-23/persecution-of-robert-muir-story-football-doesnt-want-to-hear/12553554?fbclid=IwAR2WN8aSaEVIpu6oUapyIeutq7evf0yRG8_6L5z5dWG6X376ibaIZ-y4NJU

Take the time and read this article in full.

Reply #5
@DBS

Yes a sad and deeply moving story. I was at the game at PP and unfortunately witnessed the game v the Saints and the Muir - Perovic incident. What a waste of human capital.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #6
Just read this ABC article - sad to say the least.

I can't remember specifically the way my mates and importantly myself acted at the time Robert Muir was playing but I know it would be very different to how it is now. I too must share some of the guilt of our past sins and hope that we are now better placed to respect and admire the wonderful contribution our indigenous players make to our game, community & country.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-08-23/persecution-of-robert-muir-story-football-doesnt-want-to-hear/12553554?fbclid=IwAR2WN8aSaEVIpu6oUapyIeutq7evf0yRG8_6L5z5dWG6X376ibaIZ-y4NJU

Take the time and read this article in full.

Just finished reading the article. Speechless... the hideous face of prejudice and ignorance to mental health revealed in a telling and embarrassing article, but back then (60s/70s and even 80s) this was apart of the ugly Aussie underbelly. We're definitely heading in the right direction but I cannot help but wonder how many other Robbie Muir stories there are.

I find, with on-going astonishment, the horrors of human history in regard to our treatment of indigenous/minority groups, women and mentally ill folks over the decades and centuries ... in most if not all nations. Very few of us today repeat this behaviour and we're not responsible for the sins of the past, but we sure can and must do something about present and future treatment of indigenous/minority groups, women and those with mental health issues - and I think we are, slowly but nonetheless, impressively. (Please do not interpret my comments on Robbie Muir as in any way justifying his anger and violent behaviour, nuh... but now we understand why and we understand that his rage was really a symptom of some serious emotional issues/pain, sadly, unaddressed... and that the real person would be someone very different to his acts of violence).

I hope we continue to remove from games those supporters who hurl racial abuse and ban them from enjoying our game live. Maybe they'll take a good hard look at themselves and actually do something about their putrid behaviour, because, like Robbie, under that appalling behaviour there may actually be a pretty decent person.

Bravo your attitude and help of Robbie and family, Mr Pickett!

Oh, and AFL... FFS fix the blokes shoulder!!!
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17