Skip to main content
Topic: 2017 Rd 8: Pre Game Judgements St Kilda vs Carlton (Read 24664 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2017 Rd 8: Pre Game Judgements St Kilda vs Carlton

Reply #15
Think we had a 21.5 point line against the pies that was too juicy to pass up. This one i'm not so sure of.
Saints demolished us in the pre-season.

And last year.
Jack is not what we need.
Get some pace in. Cunningham for one.
Can't afford skill errors either. Kerridge out.

Reply #16
Think we had a 21.5 point line against the pies that was too juicy to pass up. This one i'm not so sure of.

Pre Season form accounts for zero IMO when we are at R8. Melbourne pumped us as well in the pre season and they needed till late in the last to get over us.

Still I so agree this week is a big test to see where we are at against a team we have struggled against in recent times.

Reply #17
Pre Season form accounts for zero IMO when we are at R8. Melbourne pumped us as well in the pre season and they needed till late in the last to get over us.

Still I so agree this week is a big test to see where we are at against a team we have struggled against in recent times.

Agree, Shawny. Bolts could barely contain his boredom / contempt in those JLT pressers. Another Roos in terms of how he treats pre season.

Reply #18
saints forward line might not give us the problem it normally does.
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #19

Yeah Kruddler - the lines given for the Blues so far this year have been great scored 4/7. Agreed this one is very risky.

GWS v Collingwood in view of Filth bouncing back + Lou Richards @ 29.5 pts looks enticing.

Reply #20
I was reasonably confident against the Swans/Pies but given our past few performances against the saints... put your house on them for this week.

Reply #21
I was reasonably confident against the Swans/Pies but given our past few performances against the saints... put your house on them for this week.

I think you might be right jeza.
We're certainly much improved, but their speed killed us last year.
If we can nullify that (I.e. jack Steven), we'll get close.
Either way it will be a sensational experience for our young side.

Go new Blues
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #22

Go new Blues

We need to put pressure on the opposition for our game plan to work. When that doesn't happen everything breaks down. As it did last year against the aints and against Port this year. Quick teams really break us down and the hidings get big because we don't have a plan B.

Reply #23
We need to put pressure on the opposition for our game plan to work. When that doesn't happen everything breaks down. As it did last year against the aints and against Port this year. Quick teams really break us down and the hidings get big because we don't have a plan B.

Be interesting to see if/how we can contain their spread and speed that's for sure.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #24
Ed isn't fast enough for Stevens, who kills us in the absence of pressure.  I'd play Cunners and instruct him to go with him.  Ed to cover Ross, Dunstan, Steele etc.

We've got the defence to cover their talls.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #25

Go new Blues
Also the smallish fwds must be contained (as we did with Fagiolo and Elliott (sort of). Gresham couldnt get a kick in the first 2 and bit qtrs, then he got off the chain and slaughtered the GWS defenders.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #26
This'll be one of our toughest assignments so far this year, up there with the Port challenge. Every side we've beaten this year has either been ordinary (cheats.com.au), in bad form (Fluffy Ducks) or coached badly (Rottingwood). The Aints are a good side in very good form who are coached well.

It would seem from the exaggerated tyre pumping of Cuningham's recent games that he'll get the nod this week. Might seem harsh but his lack of hardness & consistency bother me. Yes, some blokes just aren't hard at it so they'd better make up for it with a ruthless consistency/influence on the game... a la Braddles. If Cuningham gets a call up his run will be critical.

There will be some selection challenges as our experience to newbie ratio at the moment seems pretty right. If SOJ and ZF are fit and wanting a recall, who goes out? Kerridge and Smedts? Jones deserves a serious look owing to his NBs form, but who would he replace? Personally, I'd be very tempted to not make any changes!
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #27

I think this is correct.

It will be interesting to see, I suspect we've got their rucks covered this time around.

To me they have the run and spread if they can get hold of the foot first, they have lost quite a bit of drive from having Koby Stevens suspended, he was a big part of their GWS win engine room. If we under-rate their midfield depth we'll be in trouble, but I'm not sure they have the cattle to go with Kreuzer, Cripps, C.Curnow, Gibbs and Murphy if they are all "on" come game day!

Also, Carlilse has been quite strong on the intercept marking, keeping his influence under control will be a big part of getting the better of them!

This could be one of those games that is a lot closer than people expect.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #28
Ed isn't fast enough for Stevens, who kills us in the absence of pressure.  I'd play Cunners and instruct him to go with him.  Ed to cover Ross, Dunstan, Steele etc.

Seb Ross has been really firing this season and uses the ball well....he needs Ed Curnow for company.....
Koby Stevens is a loss for them, bit underated IMO and does a lot of the grunt work, I presume Dunstan will come in for him...

Reply #29
This'll be one of our toughest assignments so far this year, up there with the Port challenge. Every side we've beaten this year has either been ordinary (cheats.com.au), in bad form (Fluffy Ducks) or coached badly (Rottingwood). The Aints are a good side in very good form who are coached well.

It would seem from the exaggerated tyre pumping of Cuningham's recent games that he'll get the nod this week. Might seem harsh but his lack of hardness & consistency bother me. Yes, some blokes just aren't hard at it so they'd better make up for it with a ruthless consistency/influence on the game... a la Braddles. If Cuningham gets a call up his run will be critical.

There will be some selection challenges as our experience to newbie ratio at the moment seems pretty right. If SOJ and ZF are fit and wanting a recall, who goes out? Kerridge and Smedts? Jones deserves a serious look owing to his NBs form, but who would he replace? Personally, I'd be very tempted to not make any changes!

Agreed. Same line up.

Cuningham for, say, Graham, would be very hard on the latter who has more than held his own in his 2 games thus far....

SOJ and Fisher could no doubt do with more rest. When did a hammy 'strain' (?) come up in  2 weeks in any event?

Daisy, Kerridge and Smedts add such much needed maturity to the team - noting the latter two aren't at all old in footy life terms.

Still think Smedts will become a very good player for us.
Finals, then 4 in a row!