Skip to main content
Topic: Goaltracker 2018 (Read 31838 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Goaltracker 2018

Reply #45
Like Chris Yarran?

The only reason he was taken at THAT pick was because the bombers put a bid on him for the father/son.
Had they not have done that, maybe he would've been rookied.
Given that there was SFA after him, that doesn't really matter anyway.

Yarran wasn't lazy, at least not IMO. Menegola and Crocker were both after him.

Reply #46
Yarran wasn't lazy, at least not IMO. Menegola and Crocker were both after him.

Plenty on here would suggest otherwise.
That was his biggest criticism along with going missing.

Reply #47
Plenty on here would suggest otherwise.
That was his biggest criticism along with going missing.

As we now know, he was a deeply troubled soul. The fact that he managed 119 games is a minor miracle IMO - any behaviour that was then perceived as laziness was quite likely the result of deeper troubles, and not of laziness in the proper sense. But this is pure guesswork on my part.

Reply #48
As we now know, he was a deeply troubled soul. The fact that he managed 119 games is a minor miracle IMO - any behaviour that was then perceived as laziness was quite likely the result of deeper troubles, and not of laziness in the proper sense. But this is pure guesswork on my part.
He didn't turn to drugs until he was at richmond according to the timeline given by himself in his own interview.

Reply #49
Jack played some good games for us last year and I feel that a few ordinary performances have resulted in people over scrutinisimg his form.

Irrespective of his current form his goal assist to Harry was very classy and very good link-up.

Two things.

1.  If he eliminates the fumbles (something I'm only seeing this year) he will give himself more time to dispose of the footy better.

2. Tidy up his accuracy and he'd have six goals by now even missing a game.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #50
Jack played some good games for us last year and I feel that a few ordinary performances have resulted in people over scrutinisimg his form.

Irrespective of his current form his goal assist to Harry was very classy and very good link-up.

Two things.

1.  If he eliminates the fumbles (something I'm only seeing this year) he will give himself more time to dispose of the footy better.

2. Tidy up his accuracy and he'd have six goals by now even missing a game.

Jack has a very good side step/baulk considering the type of player he is.

The fumbling could be a niggle, or simply lack of continuity.

Reply #51
He didn't turn to drugs until he was at richmond according to the timeline given by himself in his own interview.

That's to miss the point, widely.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #52
That's to miss the point, widely.

Not really.

There have been plenty of players with depression and other mental issues that have surpassed the 119 game mark set by Yarran. It wasn't until he hit the drugs that it ended his career.

So minor miracle? Not so much.

Reply #53
Not really.

There have been plenty of players with depression and other mental issues that have surpassed the 119 game mark set by Yarran. It wasn't until he hit the drugs that it ended his career.

So minor miracle? Not so much.

Again, you miss the point.

You can't simply heap all mental health issues in the same camp!
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #54
It's crazy debating this mental health issue, the miracle of Yarran and the cause timing of his demise, because PaulP's closing statement was;

But this is pure guesswork on my part.

Which seems to be the critical piece!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #55
It's crazy debating this because PaulP's closing stament was;

Which seems to be the critical piece!

Yes, it is guesswork on my part. But given Yazz's difficult childhood, issues with his father etc., my gut feeling is that he was a ticking time bomb, and on this occasion, we got out before it was too late, which frankly, is a rarity for our club.

Reply #56
Yes, it is guesswork on my part. But given Yazz's difficult childhood, issues with his father etc., my gut feeling is that he was a ticking time bomb, and on this occasion, we got out before it was too late, which frankly, is a rarity for our club.

I think it's too easy to discount the effects of trying drugs. I know friends who have/would again become hopelessly addicted from a single puff or snort, and others who could use, start and stop at will with no apparent effects or withdrawal symptoms.

I also have an associate who's son tried a certain drug just once, under the influence of peer pressure at a uni party, and has spent the last two decades dealing with a major psychosis because of it!

A lot of people want to discount the effects of Yarran's drug use, like it has to be that he had problems that existed before Nthmond recruited him, primarily Nthmond people want this to be true so they can blame big bad Carlton.

But reality is we do not know, those critical words again, even something simple like one little toak can destroy someone's life which is the insidious side of social drugs that nobody talks about!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #57
I'm not discounting the drug taking, but he was, with the benefit of hindsight, someone who lacked a basic framework and structure for dealing with life's vicissitudes and temptations, and was always going to fall hard when it occurred. The fact that it occurred at the Tiges and not us is simply chance IMO. 

Reply #58
I'm not discounting the drug taking, but he was, with the benefit of hindsight, someone who lacked a basic framework and structure for dealing with life's vicissitudes and temptations, and was always going to fall hard when it occurred. The fact that it occurred at the Tiges and not us is simply chance IMO.

Footy clubs should be able to detect and manage issues such as those that derailed Yazza’s career.

Pure speculation on my part but I reckon the turning point in Yazza’s career/life was triggered by the comments Carrazzo made when he was suspended for clocking Chapman.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #59
Footy clubs should be able to detect and manage issues such as those that derailed Yazza’s career.

Pure speculation on my part but I reckon the turning point in Yazza’s career/life was triggered by the comments Carrazzo made when he was suspended for clocking Chapman.

The clocking of Chapman indicated that he was struggling to deal with something.

Contrary to popular belief,  mental health issues are underlying.  Often lying dormant.   It's not one event that causes anything.

It's like standing at a cliff edge.  Not necessarily on it, but nearby.  Some events take you near it, and push you over but there is a rope to pull yourself back.  Eventually things push you over and the rope breaks and that's all she wrote.

He had his issues with us at times. 

I think Eddie betts departing the club is the source of Yarran Garlett and Mitch all losing their way a bit.  Never underestimate the power of relationships.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson