Skip to main content

Poll

Should Incendiary Flares be Banned?

Yep, they are no longer justified!
[ 4 ] (57.1%)
Maybe, but what about the smoke type?
[ 0 ] (0%)
No way, don't penalise everyone for the bad behaviour of a few!
[ 3 ] (42.9%)
What will I do at the next boring soccer game?
[ 0 ] (0%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Topic: Ban Flares Australia Wide (Read 7417 times) previous topic - next topic

Ban Flares Australia Wide

Given the irresponsible nature of some sporting fans, and looking at the falling price points and performance of high tech solutions. I cannot see any reason for people to still need incendiary type flares.

Seriously, the new LED type devices are as bright if not brighter than incendiary flares, and the LED devices work in daylight when smoke might typically be used. Obviously there is no alternative to the smoke type flares for military and rescue applications, but for civil use it's hard to justify the need for the smoke type flares under any circumstance. The people most likely affected will be boat owners, and the LED versions are priced similarly or even cheaper than incendiary devices and work just as well if not even a bit better.

What are your thoughts?
The Force Awakens!

Re: Ban Flares Australia Wide

Reply #1
There is a simple solution to this issue.

Flares should only be sold on production of a boating licence and the serial numbers of the flares recorded on purchase.  When the flares expire, they must then be returned to the place of purchase.

That would also solve the problem of boaties accumulating a stash of expired flares.

They are an essential safety device and banning them because of the behaviour of c0ckheads would be a monumental over reaction.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #2
There is a simple solution to this issue.

Flares should only be sold on production of a boating licence and the serial numbers of the flares recorded on purchase. When the flares expire, they must then be returned to the place of purchase.

That would also solve the problem of boaties accumulating a stash of expired flares.

They are an essential safety device and banning them because of the behaviour of c0ckheads would be a monumental over reaction.

Aren't those rules are already in place in some locations?

But the problem as it stands now is that the law is not uniform across Australia, and flares are sold for all sorts of purposes not just for boating. Bushing walking, climbing, orienteering, off-road motocross, 4x4, mountain biking, light/ultralight aircraft, horse riding, hunting, etc., etc..

Get rid of the incendiary devices and it will eventually be all good!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #3
Aren't those rules are already in place in some locations?

But the problem as it stands now is that the law is not uniform across Australia, and flares are sold for all sorts of purposes not just for boating. Bushing walking, climbing, orienteering, off-road motocross, 4x4, mountain biking, light/ultralight aircraft, horse riding, hunting, etc., etc..

Get rid of the incendiary devices and it will eventually be all good!

Flares are only mandatory for boating.  There are better safety measures for land based activities.

Expired flares are supposed to be handed in to police in SA but there's no monitoring.  In other states, boaties are encouraged to donate them to the coast guard auxiliary for training but, apart from controls on when they can be used, there's virtually no regulation.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #4
You guys need to understand that flares are dangerous in Australia because of the way they are policed.

Across the world, "ultra" supporter groups use them as part of Choreographed chants, banners and songs, in a similar method to how fireworks are used to put on a show.

Here they are "banned" so fans light one and throw them under a pack of people who are not expecting it, risking the burns, iadvertant smoke inhilation that comes with it, and all of the rest of the ill effects of an uncontrolled explosion.

I do believe that flares in the game in Australia cannot get along as culturally the game will not survive with them being used.  Overseas they are very much part and parcel of the atmosphere, and fans are accepting of them and do not make the big deal of it.

Playing devils advocate, the discussion surrounding flares are a bit like legalising drugs.  They get used in a much safer methods and controlled responsible way and they can be perfectly fine.

I understand they are not wanted, or needed here and that is why I would never light one myself, but just like fireworks, things can be safely used as part of a show!!
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #5
Apart from the odd loner weirdo who get's his jollies by getting the emergency services out of bed, there's only one section of the community who uses these things improperly.

How about these brain dead screwholes behave and we don't have to worry about it.
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #6
They've got it all wrong anyhow. This is how it's done!

[flash=400,400]https://www.youtube.com/v/MkY_F7jePEY[/flash]
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #7
I understand they are not wanted, or needed here and that is why I would never light one myself, but just like fireworks, things can be safely used as part of a show!!

The people in the crowd are not part of the show, how fecked in the head are they to think that they are?

EPL has banned flares two years ago, even Turkey's Football Federation has banned them! Most EPL clubs now hand out life bans to people caught throwing flares, and in the UK use of unlicensed pyrotechnics such as flares in any public place can lead to a prison sentence.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #8

What a bunch of wankers! Did the stadium announcer ask everyone with a small penis to light up?

I see Thry's point, they don't throw flares it must be the police doing it! :o
The Force Awakens!

Reply #9

A spectacular show! Still they need a bit of cheering up. Apparently the Greek government has now banned the consumption of Taramasalata and Skordalia due to the economic situation -they are in a double dip recession.  ::) Apologies for that one......
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #10

[flash=400,400]https://www.youtube.com/v/MkY_F7jePEY[/flash]

This is pretty much what I was talking about.

Great find carrots!
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #11
Welcome Thry.

A spectacular show! Still they need a bit of cheering up. Apparently the Greek government has now banned the consumption of Taramasalata and Skordalia due to the economic situation -they are in a double dip recession.  ::) Apologies for that one......

Merkel has been dishing it out with zero lube for far too long.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #12
Welcome Thry.

Merkel has been dishing it out with zero lube for far too long.

Did you hear that when Angela arrived in that country last year the immigration officer, after asking her name, asked the question 'Occupation?', to which she replied, 'Nein, just visiting.'
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #13
Did you hear that when Angela arrived in that country last year the immigration officer, after asking her name, asked the question 'Occupation?', to which she replied, 'Nein, just visiting.'

He shouldn't have asked what her occupation was, he should have asked if she was there to occupy the country.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #14
He shouldn't have asked what her occupation was, he should have asked if she was there to occupy the country.

Somebodies got to try and fix the joint, it's forked, perhaps they should stop spending money on flares and pay some debts!
The Force Awakens!