Skip to main content
Topic: Australian Cricket - Crisis, What Crisis ?? (Read 547201 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Australian Cricket - Crisis, What Crisis ??

Reply #420
factors are:

1. loss of sheffielf shield
2. a lot of aussie players don't play in England any more - in India playing  20.20
3. 20.20 killing technique to build long innings - test matches finish in 4 days now
4. cricket Australia - needs a clean out - Sutherland too long-
5. nsw cricket - as hookes says - when they give a player the blue cap the  baggy green is in a brown paper bag
6. not enough ethnic diversity in australian team - too anglo celtic and we are not tapping into all the talent imo

Reply #421
Openers have been ok but it's stopped there. Middle order is awful, especially with the captain feeling age and injuries. Batsmen's technique so poor for seaming conditions and it's killed us. Smith might be better at 4 but that means finding someone for no.3.

Fast bowlers as a group have been poor. Usually one has performed well with poor support  hence not the pressure of bowling in partnerships. Starc was terrible in the 3rd Test but great here, Johnson was good in the 3rd Test but bad here. He has to learn his position is to intimidate, not try to be a line and length swing bowler. His value drops right away. Heazlewood has generally been terrible and needs replacing. Lyon has done well.

Reply #422
Openers have been ok but it's stopped there. Middle order is awful, especially with the captain feeling age and injuries. Batsmen's technique so poor for seaming conditions and it's killed us. Smith might be better at 4 but that means finding someone for no.3.

Fast bowlers as a group have been poor. Usually one has performed well with poor support  hence not the pressure of bowling in partnerships. Starc was terrible in the 3rd Test but great here, Johnson was good in the 3rd Test but bad here. He has to learn his position is to intimidate, not try to be a line and length swing bowler. His value drops right away. Heazlewood has generally been terrible and needs replacing. Lyon has done well.

Balmy Army have got to Johnson again IMO...he denies it and smiles back but his form has dropped right away and I reckon he cant wait to get back to Aus as England is not a happy hunting ground for him....
Agree with Smith back to 4, Starc bowled ok but I feel he bowls too much rubbish in between his wicket taking balls and in Englands 1st innings some of his wickets only came because they were throwing the bat.
Hazelwood lacks a yard and easy to hit...Moeen smashed him in his cameo and our bowling to the tail has been poor...not enough homework was put into Root or Moeen IMO and Lehmann , McDermott just thought we could rock up and England's batting would fall over...
Be interesting when we play NZ this summer......Kiwis might fancy their chances with us rebuilding....

Reply #423
It's not the players. It's the coach, and the Board, and the WAGS. And recruiting and development has been a shambles.

Reply #424
All over ..England win the ashes 3-1 and skipper Clarke will retire after the last test.....

Reply #425
He's been a good servant, at least he has recognised when it's up for him unlike some AFL players! ;)
The Force Awakens!

Reply #426
Meh. As my missus always says....'cricket shmicket'.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #428
All over ..England win the ashes 3-1 and skipper Clarke will retire after the last test.....

This was managed poorly IMO. Clarke should have been dropped sometime ago but was persisted with because he was the Captain. If he had been given the opportunity to regain form then we may not have found ourselves in the same predicament. It was the same with Watson, who wasn't even captain FFS.
IN WADA WE TRUST

Reply #429
This was managed poorly IMO. Clarke should have been dropped sometime ago but was persisted with because he was the Captain. If he had been given the opportunity to regain form then we may not have found ourselves in the same predicament. It was the same with Watson, who wasn't even captain FFS.

I agree, but who would have replaced Clarke as Captain, Haddin, Bailey????

The cupboard is bare because cricket in Australia is not being developed administered equitably, there are too many excellent players leaving the sport because you can't get a game if you're not the In-law, relation of friend of some official, and because form is not being rewarded!

Cricket is suffering the same fate as Carlton, is has become too focussed on team harmony and not focussed enough on performance!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #430
I agree, but who would have replaced Clarke as Captain, Haddin, Bailey????

The cupboard is bare because cricket in Australia is not being developed administered equitably, there are too many excellent players leaving the sport because you can't get a game if you're not the In-law, relation of friend of some official, and because form is not being rewarded!

Cricket is suffering the same fate as Carlton, is has become too focussed on team harmony and not focussed enough on performance!

Who is not getting a game?
No one has made big runs in shield cricket for years.
We are seeing the results of players being coached at the centre of excellence to play 20/20 cricket.
Techniques are terrible.
There is too much focus on limited overs cricket.
Sutherland bends over whenever India asks him too.
Time to change the boss

Reply #431

Captain will always get a longer run.

Our team was never that good. He took a very average team and took it to no.1 in 2 forms of the game. He never had a great team at all. He got the best out of them. A great captain, a great batsman.

Reply #432
I'd be happy to give him more time, it seems like a decision made in reaction to a poor performance by the team. Take the emotion out of it. 

Clarke at least deserves a farewell on home soil... bit sad I think.

Reply #433
Soccer is close to taking over Cricket as Australia's preferred Summer Sport, especially in the Capital cities.

Reply #434
I'd be happy to give him more time, it seems like a decision made in reaction to a poor performance by the team. Take the emotion out of it. 

Clarke at least deserves a farewell on home soil... bit sad I think.

Clarke should retire immediately.
Expect to see youth in Bangladesh
Burns must play.
Maybe Doran.
I would prefer Faulkner to Marsh.
Cummins to play 5th test.

We need to find a strong group to build around Smith who should bat at four but won't.