Skip to main content
Topic: Australian Cricket - Crisis, What Crisis ?? (Read 546600 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Australian Cricket - Crisis, What Crisis ??

Reply #540
For the dead rubber I'd like to see Agar get his chance on home soil.
IN WADA WE TRUST

Reply #541
Interesting to hear the commentators talk about the "drop in" pitches and how they offer so much more for the batting sides than the bowlers. How they hold together much better over 5 days. I also remember the SCG and how it started to fall apart with huge cracks already into day 4. Therefore giving the side batting last on day 5 plenty of problems out in the middle. A real spinners track to say the least. How technology has changed the game over many years.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #542
Talk of a Test Cricket Grand final played after a 24 month cycle of test matches between all nations and the top 2 playing off...also players being allowed to play for different countries under certain conditions ie Kevin Petiersen who is a gun for hire after being discarded by England would be allow to play for minnow countries like Zimbabwe, West Indies etc to make them competitive and give valuable experience....

The Test Grand final I would support but less enthused about players changing countries....

Reply #543
Talk of a Test Cricket Grand final played after a 24 month cycle of test matches between all nations and the top 2 playing off...also players being allowed to play for different countries under certain conditions ie Kevin Petiersen who is a gun for hire after being discarded by England would be allow to play for minnow countries like Zimbabwe, West Indies etc to make them competitive and give valuable experience....

The Test Grand final I would support but less enthused about players changing countries....

Yes, if you can change countries just like that, the countries become glorified club sides.

A Test Grand Final sounds ok but it could just end up like the Shield Final. The home side creating the flattest of tracks so a draw is good enough to give them the title.

Reply #544

Tend to agree. Could open a Pandora's box of problems which (like FA in the AFL ) could see players chasing coin ahead of representing their country at test level. It would also harm traditions such as the baggy green.
IN WADA WE TRUST

Reply #545

Wessels did it twice!

I think the idea has merit but there would have to be some well thought out conditions.

For someone like Pieterson, who is good enough but has been blacklisted, an opportunity to play and influence a struggling Test side would be good for cricket.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #546
Wessels did it twice!

I think the idea has merit but there would have to be some well thought out conditions.

For someone like Pieterson, who is good enough but has been blacklisted, an opportunity to play and influence a struggling Test side would be good for cricket.

You can change countries now after a waiting period of a few years but just to change countries willy nilly turns it into a glorified club competition.

Reply #547
You can change countries now after a waiting period of a few years but just to change countries willy nilly turns it into a glorified club competition.

Yes, I agree that it shouldn't be open slather.  However, once players are told that they are no longer required, like Pieterson, it should be possible for them to play with one other Test playing country.

There's something similar in T20 cricket with Dirk Nannes playing for the Netherlands.  Of course, he has Dutch citizenship through his parents and played for Australia after playing for the Netherlands.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #548
Yes, I agree that it shouldn't be open slather.  However, once players are told that they are no longer required, like Pieterson, it should be possible for them to play with one other Test playing country.

There's something similar in T20 cricket with Dirk Nannes playing for the Netherlands.  Of course, he has Dutch citizenship through his parents and played for Australia after playing for the Netherlands.

Only if it were to help the minnow countries like Zimbabwe. Not, say, to Australia, for example though unless they've gone through the qualifying period.

Reply #549
Only if it were to help the minnow countries like Zimbabwe. Not, say, to Australia, for example though unless they've gone through the qualifying period.

Exactly! Blokes who aren't considered by the top 3 or 4 teams can play for a minnow country but the nationalisation and residential rules would still apply for everyone else.

Reply #550
Probably been said a dozen times but geez the Big Bash commentary is miles better than Ch9. Too much Mark Nickolas and James Brayshaw crap on 9.
Pointing, Flemming etc do a great job

Reply #551
Probably been said a dozen times but geez the Big Bash commentary is miles better than Ch9. Too much Mark Nickolas and James Brayshaw crap on 9.
Pointing, Flemming etc do a great job

My next door neighbour is running the show for Ten.  He reckons he's too old to be flying round the country and staying up late.  He didn't finish work at Docklands until 2am the other night!

Reply #552
My next door neighbour is running the show for Ten.  He reckons he's too old to be flying round the country and staying up late.  He didn't finish work at Docklands until 2am the other night!

Tell him he's doing a great job.
Can't stand the footy show/MMM style crap on 9.
I think the success of BB will see them review it.

Reply #553
Tell him he's doing a great job.
Can't stand the footy show/MMM style crap on 9.
I think the success of BB will see them review it.

How's it rating?

I like the coverage although they do get carried away sometimes and forget there's a game on.
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #554
The big difference is that 20/20 is entertainment that happens to be cricket and the commentary reflects that really well- it doesn't matter if the aren't 45 replays of one ball,  or that they don't always talk about what we can obviously see.   Test cricket is a game first and entertainment second, with the commentary being neither.

I don't know if I could listen to 6 hours of 20/20 commentary on a test match, but I do know I can't listen to the current ch 9 efforts.