Skip to main content
Topic: Australian Cricket - Crisis, What Crisis ?? (Read 546627 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Australian Cricket - Crisis, What Crisis ??

Reply #570
Man of the match should be the skipper for winning the toss.

Voges making a zillion masks the facts that Warner is way off the boil (again), Burns continues to get out in stupid ways and Marsh can't bat at test level.

Its been a long summer and a few blokes are wilting... don't expect anything at the world 20/20 slog and celebrate competition.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #571
Man of the match should be the skipper for winning the toss.

Voges making a zillion masks the facts that Warner is way off the boil (again), Burns continues to get out in stupid ways and Marsh can't bat at test level.

Its been a long summer and a few blokes are wilting... don't expect anything at the world 20/20 slog and celebrate competition.

Skipper certainly made the right call.

Warner doesn't seem to off the boil. One failure doesn't do that. Averaging 51.34 and his last few series have been pretty good. Marsh does need to make more runs. Bowling well and at pace but if he bats 6 then he needs to average 35 being an allrounder. Maybe bat him at 7 and Nevill at 6.

Reply #572
Skipper certainly made the right call.

Warner doesn't seem to off the boil. One failure doesn't do that. Averaging 51.34 and his last few series have been pretty good. Marsh does need to make more runs. Bowling well and at pace but if he bats 6 then he needs to average 35 being an allrounder. Maybe bat him at 7 and Nevill at 6.

Let's just pick the right player and not create another Watto.
If he can't bat top 6 find someone who can, and as good as Neville is with the gloves he's no number 6.

Reply #573
Marsh aint a top 5 bowler nor a top 6 bat in the country, hence he should not be in our test side.

Simple as that.

Am enjoying reading up on Lyon's continued excellent work as our best offie. Not bad for a former groundsman from Adelaide.

Reply #574
Let's just pick the right player and not create another Watto.
If he can't bat top 6 find someone who can, and as good as Neville is with the gloves he's no number 6.

Nevill does average 42 in first class cricket, 70 matches, 6 centuries, 19 50's and a high score of 235, so probably could bat 6. Often opened the batting for NSW in the 50 over One-dayers.

Marsh is an excellent 5th bowling option hence happy to give him time but he'll want to do it soon. Symonds was similar, batted so badly that the Poms called him a professional fieldsman until he hit them for 150. From there he didn't look back and averaged over 40. just hoping Marsh can have that breakthrough innings and do the same. He has the ability but not the confidence. Doesn't want to leave it too long though.

Reply #575
Marsh aint a top 5 bowler nor a top 6 bat in the country, hence he should not be in our test side.

Simple as that.

Where's the 5th bowler come from then. He's a beauty as a 5th bowler, just need him to find confidence with the bat.  Like I said above he best not take too long about it though.

Reply #576
Where's the 5th bowler come from then. He's a beauty as a 5th bowler, just need him to find confidence with the bat.  Like I said above he best not take too long about it though.

Agree..I like M. Marsh as the 5th bowler. gets wickets when others are struggling....needs a season or two playing county cricket to tighten up the technique for test cricket...he is what the system made him by doing his apprenticeship in the shorter formats of the game..

Reply #577
Agree..I like M. Marsh as the 5th bowler. gets wickets when others are struggling....needs a season or two playing county cricket to tighten up the technique for test cricket...he is what the system made him by doing his apprenticeship in the shorter formats of the game..

I tend to agree; he's a decent 5th bowling but needs to improve his batting before he can be classed as a genuine allrounder. 
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #578

I like him too. Can bowl 140+ and take wickets - surprised how often he's underbowled actually.

Then again, is he a better bet than Faulkner?

Mitch - http://www.espncricinfo.com/australia/content/player/272450.html

or James - http://www.espncricinfo.com/australia/content/player/270484.html
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #579

He should take a few blokes with him.
Burns and Warner could do with a season or two.
Would be nice to go over there next time with blokes that know the conditions.
It's hard to believe that Shaun Marsh had never played in England before last winter

Reply #580
I like him too. Can bowl 140+ and take wickets - surprised how often he's underbowled actually.

Then again, is he a better bet than Faulkner?

Mitch - http://www.espncricinfo.com/australia/content/player/272450.html

or James - http://www.espncricinfo.com/australia/content/player/270484.html

Yeah, as much as I hate to say it (coming from tassie), Marsh has just got more penetration than Faulkner for Test cricket.  James is just too slow & doesn't do enough with it for the long form of the game.  Batting wise, they're probably on a par.  Mind you, neither of them are good enough to bat #6 in the test side ATM.  Puts an awful lot of pressure on your top 5, particularly without the likes of Johnson, Starc, Harris to bolster runs from the tail !

What's the answer ?  I don't know.  If Marsh can get it up to averaging over 30 with the bat, he's probably doing enough to keep his spot.  Flintoff only averaged 31.....and 32 with the ball, on the back on one decent series.  good solid test all-rounders are about the same mark, 30 with both.

On another note, hopefully Patto can steam in & get his pace up in the 2nd test in NZ......and that Bird can bowl with in a lot better grouping than he did in the 1st !

cheers

Mal.

Life is pain....... anyone who says differently is selling something.

Reply #581
Faulkener at 7, Nevill at 6 works for me.

But surely our top 4 bowlers can take the ten wickets (maybe 10overs per day from the likes of Smith and Warner if needed...) Then you can play a batsmen at 6.

Reply #582
Brendon McCullum in his last test has gone berserk in NZ and hit the quickest century ever(145), along with his mate Corey the slogger Anderson they have cleared or hit the the boundary more times than I have seen in an innings...it was T20 stuff at test level.....NZ all out 370 and Aus 1 for 37 in reply(Warner out)..Kiwis may just get up and win this one for McCullum..

Reply #583
Brendon McCullum in his last test has gone berserk in NZ and hit the quickest century ever(145), along with his mate Corey the slogger Anderson they have cleared or hit the the boundary more times than I have seen in an innings...it was T20 stuff at test level.....NZ all out 370 and Aus 1 for 37 in reply(Warner out)..Kiwis may just get up and win this one for McCullum..

With BM dropped how many times (and 1 no ball wicket)?
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #584
Patterson - wicket from a NB again... epitome of stupidity.

Warner out early again - mind ain't on the job IMO.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?