Skip to main content
Topic: Australian Cricket - Crisis, What Crisis ?? (Read 547137 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Australian Cricket - Crisis, What Crisis ??

Reply #675
Siddle now injured as well.....so much for the "this is the 12 & that's an end of it" approach.  They'll be forced to make at least two changes now, and that's a good thing.

Hopefully someone in form like a Sayers gets brought in for Siddle (he completely outbowled Mennie in the last Shield match).

Sadly, they will be lucky to get 3 days play in to stake their claim...which will be interesting when it comes to the selections for the final test with a win required to level it up !

Life is pain....... anyone who says differently is selling something.

Reply #676
Apart from Warner, all of our batsmen are flat-track bullies who have continually had the flaws in their techniques found out on moving decks and ball.

Time for the selectors to start blooding some young stars of the future and dispense with these non-performing name brands.
"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"

Reply #677
Has Lyon been found out or not given enough opportunity?
Steve's Smiths best mate is.....O'Keefe
Lyon is being disrespected, he's earned the right to be first choice and if nothing else is consistent 200+ wicket taker. The media like to scapegoat him, but they should be thanking Lyon for putting in with a team full of spud batsmen who fail to give him a useful target to defend!

It's too easy for those batting dropkicks to be blaming the No.11 for not sticking around, or the bowlers for not taking 10 wickets for 200 runs! Lyon and the others are just a scapegoat covering for the failures of Marsh, Smith, Warner, etc., etc.!

If I was the Coach/Team Manager the first thing I'd ban is night-watchmen and I'd tell the batsmen to harden the feck up, stop the finger-pointing and if not then piss off to the IPL!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #678
James Faulkner is the one I'd play. He is a born Test cricketer IMO, and I said as much a few years ago,

He'll plug up an end when bowling as a medium/fast and bat well (and with grit and intent) at 7 or 8.

Reckon Agar is a special talent and I'd really like to give him a crack, but he needs more top notch numbers. O'Keefe and Holland are other spin options.

Longing for a decent leggie....!!!!

Reply #679

Many of us have watched the career of Warne the greatest spinner ever, hands down nobody is his equal.

We cannot afford to judge potential players by what we have seen during the Warne era, so subjective terms like "decent" need careful consideration!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #680
Lyon is being disrespected, he's earned the right to be first choice and if nothing else is consistent 200+ wicket taker. The media like to scapegoat him, but they should be thanking Lyon for putting in with a team full of spud batsmen who fail to give him a useful target to defend!

It's too easy for those batting dropkicks to be blaming the No.11 for not sticking around, or the bowlers for not taking 10 wickets for 200 runs! Lyon and the others are just a scapegoat covering for the failures of Marsh, Smith, Warner, etc., etc.!

If I was the Coach/Team Manager the first thing I'd ban is night-watchmen and I'd tell the batsmen to harden the feck up, stop the finger-pointing and if not then piss off to the IPL!

Lyon even moved to play for NSW, and I still think he is going to get shafted!

Reply #681
With the DRS in use last match Warne would have taken 1500 wickets.  Crikey, talk about one side getting the rub of the green....

I'd play Steve O'Keefe... as a left hander turning the ball away from the RHers he is a slightly more attacking option.  He has been a bloody good shield player for a long, long time.

Zampa is no mug either.

If we want a few overs of off spin to break it up we could look at Maxwell.  The problem is that none of our current bats really offer much in the part time bowling department, except for Smith who has lost faith in himself as a bowler.

I really like Siddle but we need a bowler with more penetration.  Unless there is a point of difference eg height or moves the ball a lot there isn't much call for blokes that trundles it down at 130 kph.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #682
James Faulkner is the one I'd play. He is a born Test cricketer IMO, and I said as much a few years ago,

He'll plug up an end when bowling as a medium/fast and bat well (and with grit and intent) at 7 or 8.

Reckon Agar is a special talent and I'd really like to give him a crack, but he needs more top notch numbers. O'Keefe and Holland are other spin options.

Faulkner behind two genuine quicks would work....not convinced Hazelwood is a No 2 bowler, batters do get a hold of him and he doesnt have the genuine pace to worry good players
on good wickets..

Reply #683
Faulkner behind two genuine quicks would work....not convinced Hazelwood is a No 2 bowler, batters do get a hold of him and he doesnt have the genuine pace to worry good players
on good wickets..

Problem is Faulkner is not good enough for a 3rd seamer or bat 6 IMO.

What me need is Handscomb to bat in the top 6 allowing a Faulkner or Marsh to come in at 7 or 8.

A Keeper in the top 6 can give the team the flexibility it needs.
"We are a club in a hurry"

#united #reset

Reply #684
Lyon even moved to play for NSW, and I still think he is going to get shafted!

Moving to play for NSW won't make you a NSWelshman if they have a local alternative, we've seen that happen time and time again.

Moving to NSW would leave him with only NSWelshman to defend his spot, good luck with that!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #685

What me need is Handscomb to bat in the top 6 allowing a Faulkner or Marsh to come in at 7 or 8.

Batting at 6...No from me too, reckon his bowling is ok but he needs two very good quicks opening the attack.....
Marsh...one day player only, zero technique, that LBW to Philander in the 1st innings was woeful...bowling is handy only...
Handscomb is a good cricketer with a good technique......prefer my keeper at No 7 though and a bowling allrounder at 8 ie Faulkner.
Not fully convinced about Nevill either...he is no DeKock with the bat ...
Aus have always had this allrounder fetish to find ourselves a Botham to play at No 6...tried for years with Watson to no avail and seem destined to keep trying with M. Marsh..

Reply #686

Aus have always had this allrounder fetish to find ourselves a Botham to play at No 6...tried for years with Watson to no avail and seem destined to keep trying with M. Marsh..

That is the issue....it was re-inforced when Flintoff did the job on the Aussies in 2005 as well.  Trouble is, he was an elite fast bowlers who was good enough to bat at #6.  We cannot keep trying bit part players who could not get a gig at one or the other.  Gilchrist didn't even bat at 6 in his career....and he was the one keeper who could have.  But how devastating for the opposition was it for him to listed at #7 !!!

Life is pain....... anyone who says differently is selling something.

Reply #687
Batting at 6...No from me too, reckon his bowling is ok but he needs two very good quicks opening the attack.....
Marsh...one day player only, zero technique, that LBW to Philander in the 1st innings was woeful...bowling is handy only...
Handscomb is a good cricketer with a good technique......prefer my keeper at No 7 though and a bowling allrounder at 8 ie Faulkner.
Not fully convinced about Nevill either...he is no DeKock with the bat ...

Sangakarra, DeVillers, Bairstow... get a batsmen Keeper and it gives you flexibility at 7 and 8 IMO.
"We are a club in a hurry"

#united #reset

Reply #688

Wouldn't bat Faulkner at 6, though he is not that type anyway.

He's a bowling all-rounder.

Reckon a bowling all-rounder such as Faulkner and a batting all-rounder would be handy.

I had thought of Handscomb to keep/bat at 6 too, but that's a big leap.

This obsession with the all-rounder having to bat at 6 is ridiculous. We are stuck back in the old days.

Can Nevill bat at 6 with support from even 2-3 decent bowling all-rounder types to come in behind him?

Problem could be we get quite thin on for bowling, though we are on struggle street anyway.

Example...

6. P.Nevill / P.Handscomb (wk)
7. M.Stoinis / M.Marsh
8. J.Faulkner
9. M.Starc
10. J.Hazlewood
11. N.Lyon

Reply #689
I like that side, plenty of options plus 1. Blokes that really want it and 2. Surprise factor.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?