Skip to main content
Topic: Australian Cricket - Crisis, What Crisis ?? (Read 546803 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Australian Cricket - Crisis, What Crisis ??

Reply #765
When your form and confidence are shot, batsmen do that kind of thing.  I suspect that his "eye" might have gone as well.  Unfortunately, for his own safety, it might be close to curtains for him.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #766
In regards to today's Adam Voges incident.

How do blokes make it to test level unable to deal with short pitched bowling, dealing with bouncers by turning their heads away?

FFS, they have hundreds of dollars of high strength carbon fibre or titanium alloy sitting on their head and the best they can do is duck! With that headgear on you could freaking head-butt the ball Kohli style and just laugh it off, but these guys turn away exposing the back of their head to the delivery!

It's just another sign of how far Australian cricket has slipped!

He made it to Test level at 36. Going by his dismissal in the Test match it looked like his "eye" had gone and wasn't picking up the ball as quickly. Age waits for no-one. Ponting had a couple of interesting bizarre-like dismissals late in his career to just before he retired.

Voges started late but made the most of his time at Test level. Father time has caught up with him. Happens to them all.

Reply #767
Jake Lehmann has to be a chance too. Matt Renshaw is another I keep hearing about.

Add Handscomb, Patterson, Bancroft, Maddinson and Stoinis to the mix, plus Wade, and we have some options to choose from, all young too. (Wade 28yo)

James Faulkner is a made Test cricketer IMO.

I'm a fan of Faulkner...got some hardness about the way he plays his cricket and we dont really have a bowler who can swing/reverse and seam it at 130k which seems what you need these days...3 genuine quicks who dont swing or move the ball unless its brand new doesnt work in Test Cricket anymore.
Add his very handy batting...Starc isnt a decent No 8 and good outfielding and you have a cricketer we need in the team....its an obvious selection IMO..

Reply #768
I'm a fan of Faulkner...got some hardness about the way he plays his cricket and we dont really have a bowler who can swing/reverse and seam it at 130k which seems what you need these days...3 genuine quicks who dont swing or move the ball unless its brand new doesnt work in Test Cricket anymore.
Add his very handy batting...Starc isnt a decent No 8 and good outfielding and you have a cricketer we need in the team....its an obvious selection IMO..

Actually, Starc averages 22.45 with the bat in Test cricket, six 50s including a 99. Imagine it was higher before the series started as he hasn't made a score thus far.

Reply #769
Actually, Starc averages 22.45 with the bat in Test cricket, six 50s including a 99. Imagine it was higher before the series started as he hasn't made a score thus far.

Starcs batting is overated IMo, he hasnt looked like doing anything other than giving slips catching practice to the saffies, his average is inflated IMO and is more suited when he can
throw the bat at 9/10/11.....at No 8 you have to bat responsibly at times and he gets out when he plays straight up and down to consistent line bowling...
I'd prefer Faulkner at 8 as he can defend and attack

Reply #770
Lehmann looks very much in form so pick him, irrelevant who his Dad is....

Handscomg on 57no as we speak, Dean (who's he?) on 94 no.

Khawaja got a ton.

Burns failed. Gone.

Bancroft failed, Voges retired hurt!

THat's the other one I wanted to mention - Travis Dean. The 2nd season Vic opener. He goes very well IMHO.

Reply #771
Starcs batting is overated IMo, he hasnt looked like doing anything other than giving slips catching practice to the saffies, his average is inflated IMO and is more suited when he can
throw the bat at 9/10/11.....at No 8 you have to bat responsibly at times and he gets out when he plays straight up and down to consistent line bowling...
I'd prefer Faulkner at 8 as he can defend and attack

Yeah, I have to agree with that about Starc, he has a good eye & can get quick runs after a good foundation.  But he's no Mitchell Johnson.  We're starting to see exactly how valuable Johnson really was coming in at #8, and for all his critics & the pressure of following on from Gilchrist, Haddons batting looks very good in comparison to what's around now. 

As an aside, I just read a bit of an extract from Haddons book regarding what he & his wife went through/is going through with his daughter.....I am astonished he was able to perform at the level he did quite frankly.  As a dad with a little girl who is my world, stories like this really choke me.

Life is pain....... anyone who says differently is selling something.

Reply #772
People forget that the side has lost a nucleus of a good side in  Rogers, Clarke, Haddin, Harris and Johnson... essentially in one season.  Blokes that were always going to prove difficult to find replacements for, especially coupled with the unfortunate death of Hughes.

I distantly know an ex-Aussie selector and he was of the opinion that Harris was the best pace bowler since Lillee.  Hard to replace world XI type players.

As for Starc - he is a poor man's Johnson.  Needs to find consistency with bat and ball. 

Injuries have thwarted any attempt at getting a decent bowling group on the park, I've given up on Cummins and Pattinson, now Faulkner is an LTI.  Time to groom alternatives.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #773
People forget that the side has lost a nucleus of a good side in  Rogers, Clarke, Haddin, Harris and Johnson... essentially in one season.  Blokes that were always going to prove difficult to find replacements for, especially coupled with the unfortunate death of Hughes.

I distantly know an ex-Aussie selector and he was of the opinion that Harris was the best pace bowler since Lillee.  Hard to replace world XI type players.

As for Starc - he is a poor man's Johnson.  Needs to find consistency with bat and ball. 

Injuries have thwarted any attempt at getting a decent bowling group on the park, I've given up on Cummins and Pattinson, now Faulkner is an LTI.  Time to groom alternatives.

Those blokes have been gone for a little while now. Until the last 5 Tests we still managed to play decent cricket and progress to world No.1. Just lost the lot recently.

My biggest issue though has been Cricket Australia. The last few years they have obviously instructed curators to dish up road after road after road to make Tests go 5 days. Unfortunately it meant our players have have no experience of pitches that swing or seam and as soon as they are exposed to such conditions they are lost. Unfortunately our batsmen can only play on the pitches that are dished up to them. Now we have that have movement we are in trouble. Important now we make sure there is at least something in pitches at Shield level to force batsmen to use the right technique or otherwise perish in the game.

Reply #774
Those blokes have been gone for a little while now. Until the last 5 Tests we still managed to play decent cricket and progress to world No.1. Just lost the lot recently.

My biggest issue though has been Cricket Australia. The last few years they have obviously instructed curators to dish up road after road after road to make Tests go 5 days. Unfortunately it meant our players have have no experience of pitches that swing or seam and as soon as they are exposed to such conditions they are lost. Unfortunately our batsmen can only play on the pitches that are dished up to them. Now we have that have movement we are in trouble. Important now we make sure there is at least something in pitches at Shield level to force batsmen to use the right technique or otherwise perish in the game.

Jim..Years gone by back in our day Aus cricketers played county cricket and tightened up their techniques vs the moving ball, now its IPL and any other forms of 20/20 cricket they go and play which does bugger all
for their technique. Its only the non 20/20 types like recently retired Chris Rogers who would have played their share of county cricket and improved their game. no surprise he was a success later in his career given he did all the hard yards at county level and had a tight technique and knew how to leave a good delivery.

Reply #775
Jim..Years gone by back in our day Aus cricketers played county cricket and tightened up their techniques vs the moving ball, now its IPL and any other forms of 20/20 cricket they go and play which does bugger all
for their technique. Its only the non 20/20 types like recently retired Chris Rogers who would have played their share of county cricket and improved their game. no surprise he was a success later in his career given he did all the hard yards at county level and had a tight technique and knew how to leave a good delivery.

Unfortunately that's the way of the world now. Not much we can do about that as the money is huge in 20/20 cricket. Hence we have to do that at home now, making sure there is something in the pitches at first class level that allow for ball movement. We've just had way too many roads the last few years so all we've learned is to smack the ball with hard hands in front of the pads. Then we go to England or play South Africa here on moving pitches and can't adjust.

Reply #776
How bad must Nathan Lyon be feeling at the moment.

He's been made a scapegoat for some shizen captaincy and batting at test level. He's moved states to play under the bloke that currently white-ants him favoring his new team-mate. He has 200 test wickets but gets bowled behind his potential replacement. In the current match Dean and Handscomb have torn him a new one!

What's that about the grass always being greener? :o

He must be thinking to himself, next time take the blue pill!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #777
Handscomb - 215
Dean - 134
White - 75no

Bad luck they're not playing for NSW  ::)
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #779
Reckon Handscomb will get picked for Voges next test...

All three would be in the eleven if it was picked on form and winning the Test was the objective.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball