Skip to main content
Topic: Australian Cricket - Crisis, What Crisis ?? (Read 546772 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Australian Cricket - Crisis, What Crisis ??

Reply #825
Faf's not as smart as he thinks.

Agree laj,

Faf should have declared when they were about 7 for 150 odd. Would have been enough runs to still win by an innings. By dragging it out they may risk having to play for an extra day.

Reply #826
Faf's not as smart as he thinks. If it was 10 and 11 batting then by all means declare but he himself was 118 no and in a decent partnership with the no.11. When you are 9/259 10, 20 30 runs extra is priceless. He missed out on those trying to be clever.  Khawaja has opened many times for his state and has batted a bit with Renshaw, so it was no issue. Meant that SA got less runs than they should of, didn't get a wicket and now Warner comes in to face and older ball.

Yep... why declare, just go the tonk (as they were) and you either add some runs quickly or get to bowl.

The only way it works is if you get Warner out before stumps... so he should have actually waited for Warner to come back on and then declared. If you did that and then got Warner you would be pretty happy with yourself... but I'd rather take the extra runs.

Reply #827
Maddinson  :o
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #828
Wade came in, showed some attitude, then departed pretty quickly!

I wonder how he was seeing the pink ball  ???
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #829
Batted for a day; objective achieved!

Reply #830
Wade came in, showed some attitude, then departed pretty quickly!

I wonder how he was seeing the pink ball  ???

Pretty poorly if that miss of Alma was anything to go by....feet were set in concrete.

Just as well he's in for his batting......or is just in for his yap.
Life is pain....... anyone who says differently is selling something.

Reply #831
Pretty poorly if that miss of Alma was anything to go by....feet were set in concrete.

Just as well he's in for his batting......or is just in for his yap.

Dont think yap has too much effect these days, every team has yappers and its over rated IMO...Wade stuffed that edge for sure but Renshaw wouldnt be my ideal 1st slip either...
Jackson Bird can look a bit pedestrian and Lyon seems devoid of confidence......Steven Cook has one of the worst techniques I have seen, how he got a century vs England is beyond me....

Reply #832
I thought it was Renshaw's catch.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #833
Lyon lifted in what could have been his last Test.

We should win from here....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #835
If wade had moved his feet it would have been a very simple catch

agreed. he stuffed it. it happens, even with good keepers!
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #836
agreed. he stuffed it. it happens, even with good keepers!

Firstly, Renshaw stands too wide. Normally the keeper would sort this out but they are both new in the team this week so you can expect a few games for them to get it right. They haven't even had much time to train together because of Shield commitments.

If you are going to stand in the wrong place make sure it's too close not too far!

Secondly, Wade would normally have Cameron White at 1st slip who is the best first slip in Australia and probably would have covered that catch easily. Also White would have been standing in the right place!

Finally, apparently testing has proven that the pink ball under lights is causing players a real problem with depth perception. To me the pink ball also looks a little fluorescent which makes it even hard to judge distance, this is based on my experience with the old fluro orange and yellow cricket balls, but I bet it is true.

In night cricket if you line up a white, fluro-orange and fluro-yellow cricket balls side-by-side the two fluro balls look bigger which makes you think they are closer than they really are, especially as you move further away the apparent size difference is remarkable. (I often wonder if this has some relationship to the full moon size illusion.) This causes you to go for catches that are out of reach, or move too slowly thinking the ball is falling closer than it really is, and you start getting hit on the end of the fingers or falling short of the catch. You then begin to doubt your judgement and that leaves you late to move.

Notice a number of Australian players are wearing tinted glasses at night, they are trying to dial down the contrast on the pink ball so so they judge the distance to the ball better.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #837
I listened to radio most of yesterday, the ABC commentators bagged Lyon relentlessly. I have no idea what Lyon has done to those guys but they obviously do not like him, they want O'Keefe end of story. It got to the point I had to watch some highlights to make sense of what was being said, only to find out half of the broadcast was bulls1t commentary!

Reality is this. The likes of Warne, Peterson and Chappell have been on about this for some time, not that I'm a great fan of Chappell at the moment as he says some weird stuff, but he's right about this. Lyon's performance is being hampered by some ordinary field setting and decision making. He's Australia's premier spinner and when he used correctly to the right field settings he can control a game. You don't support a test spinner by setting One Day cricket fields and using One Day cricket tactics. Too often Lyon is coming into bowl after batsmen are set, it's not a 20/20 power-play it's test cricket, Lyon should be used when batsmen are fresh to the crease not when they are are 20 runs after 15 overs. This is very odd, because the team is selected such that ideal bowling combination for new batsmen is Starc and Lyon. Hopefully the Captain will improve, then we will improve as a team.

You can expect that even if we rap this innings up quickly, we will then struggle to make the target, that it will be Lyon's fault and not the batsmen, captain or selectors. this is despite Lyon being the only really effective spinner in the game so far!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #838
I listened to radio most of yesterday, the ABC commentators bagged Lyon relentlessly. I have no idea what Lyon has done to those guys but they obviously do not like him, they want O'Keefe end of story. It got to the point I had to watch some highlights to make sense of what was being said, only to find out half of the broadcast was bulls1t commentary!

Reality is this. The likes of Warne, Peterson and Chappell have been on about this for some time, not that I'm a great fan of Chappell at the moment as he says some weird stuff, but he's right about this. Lyon's performance is being hampered by some ordinary field setting and decision making. He's Australia's premier spinner and when he used correctly to the right field settings he can control a game. You don't support a test spinner by setting One Day cricket fields and using One Day cricket tactics. Too often Lyon is coming into bowl after batsmen are set, it's not a 20/20 power-play it's test cricket, Lyon should be used when batsmen are fresh to the crease not when they are are 20 runs after 15 overs. This is very odd, because the team is selected such that ideal bowling combination for new batsmen is Starc and Lyon. Hopefully the Captain will improve, then we will improve as a team.

You can expect that even if we rap this innings up quickly, we will then struggle to make the target, that it will be Lyon's fault and not the batsmen, captain or selectors. this is despite Lyon being the only really effective spinner in the game so far!

Once he got his confidence back and started bowling more slowly he bowled really well, especially in the 2nd innings. Spell late last night might've been a career saver. Actually the pressure all 4 bowlers applied as a group was outstanding and put alot of pressure on SA.

Reply #839
If wade had moved his feet it would have been a very simple catch

He worked on that before play today, so they saw it as an issue, and he took a great catch down the legside. Bar that error he had a good game behind the stumps.

Ironically, Nevill made 179no today in the Shield match.