Skip to main content
Topic: Australian Cricket - Crisis, What Crisis ?? (Read 546956 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Australian Cricket - Crisis, What Crisis ??

Reply #840
I thought it was Renshaw's catch.

Always the keepers catch...

And first slip should have been going for it though and the positioning was poor/ LA over always means you are blindsided for a split second as a keeper as it passes through the batsmen and edges tend to fly a bit finer, and a keeper can get caught flat footed as the ball is not sighted. Renshaw should have been finer.

(I was a keeper if that means anything at all...)
"We are a club in a hurry"

#united #reset

Reply #841
Always the keepers catch...

And first slip should have been going for it though and the positioning was poor/ LA over always means you are blindsided for a split second as a keeper as it passes through the batsmen and edges tend to fly a bit finer, and a keeper can get caught flat footed as the ball is not sighted. Renshaw should have been finer.

(I was a keeper if that means anything at all...)

Tradional for aussie 1st slips to field wider though isnt it?..agree it was the keepers catch..

Reply #842
Possible future Test XI?????

1. Warner
2. Renshaw
3. Khawaja
4. Smith (c)
5. Handscomb
6. Head
7. Wade (wk)
8. Pattinson
9. Starc
10. Cummins
11. Hazlewood

Bring in a spinner (Lyon, Holland, O'Keefe, Agar, Zampa) when need be. Maybe Head can bowl some decent offies to hold up an end and as a change bowler whilst the quicks unleash!

Other quicks to consider include Faulkner, Bird and Sayers.

Reply #843
Thought Faulkner' bowling was very ordinary last night.....

And Mitch M. was given ZERO overs. Odd.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #844
Thought Faulkner' bowling was very ordinary last night.....

And Mitch M. was given ZERO overs. Odd.

Been a fan of Faulkner but I'd have to agree his bowling isnt what it was, no swing, no real movement off the wicket
and at a very hittable medium pace..

M.Marsh is like Shane Watson , has his moments but when confronted by real quality players cant get it done..

New Zealand apart from Guptill, Williamson and Boult sent over a holiday team and didnt look interested...

Reckon Sayers might play vs the Paki's with a view to taking a genuine swing bowler to England for the next Ashes series...

Reply #845
Possible future Test XI?????

1. Warner
2. Renshaw
3. Khawaja
4. Smith (c)
5. Handscomb
6. Head
7. Wade (wk)
8. Pattinson
9. Starc
10. Cummins
11. Hazlewood

Bring in a spinner (Lyon, Holland, O'Keefe, Agar, Zampa) when need be. Maybe Head can bowl some decent offies to hold up an end and as a change bowler whilst the quicks unleash!

Other quicks to consider include Faulkner, Bird and Sayers.

I know you Vics get a woody every time Pattison is mentioned but he is a level below Starc and Hazelwood at the moment and the untapped potential of Cummins gets him into my line as well. You have to have a spinner in a test side and Head's nude balls don't cut it against a good test side.

Lyon started to get his drift back last test, however in the long term, I'd love to see Agar come on, he can bat, his bowling needs to get better but if he could be the answer at 6 (big ask) or we find a better keeper batsman who could go to 6, then we could play your 4 quicks Pratty and gift Pattison a game or when the need arises get a Zampa in on a turning track.

Reply #846
I know you Vics get a woody every time Pattison is mentioned but he is a level below Starc and Hazelwood at the moment and the untapped potential of Cummins gets him into my line as well. You have to have a spinner in a test side and Head's nude balls don't cut it against a good test side.

Lyon started to get his drift back last test, however in the long term, I'd love to see Agar come on, he can bat, his bowling needs to get better but if he could be the answer at 6 (big ask) or we find a better keeper batsman who could go to 6, then we could play your 4 quicks Pratty and gift Pattison a game or when the need arises get a Zampa in on a turning track.

Lyon has to play as the spinner IMO...problem in Aus is we have no real wicket taking spinners and the pitches dont suit. Lyon wont run through any teams but is tidy.
Leg spinners are what we do well but we dont have any real good ones....Zampa doesnt turn his leggie and relies on toppies and flippers only....
We are looking for that player like England have in Ali who can bat anywhere in the order but still bowl some handy spin, Agar is no Ali with the bat and wouldnt be able to bat at 6 IMO..
I think Whiteman will be our next keeper/.batsman but will play at 7...if you want the keeper that can bat at five or six like some of the other teams seem to be able to produce then give the gloves to Handscomb...

Reply #847
I'll counter that view Rayden as I have been waiting to see Cummins again for a while and frankly I wasn't particularly impressed - lacked control/consistency and relied upon seam instead of the swing he once had.  Seems to always err on the short side and that's a big no no for red ball cricket IMO.

Personally I'd rank him about par with Pattinson - and I'd only consider either if they were consistently taking shield wickets and taking them with away movement.

We need to be developing that third option, and I agree that a bloke who moves the ball away from the bat such as Bird and/or Sayers must be in the frame.

Faulkner is a player who I really like but his time seems to be past - bowling is pretty pedestrian these days and there are plenty of similar handy batty options... but I'd still play him before Mitch Marsh who simply isn't up to it.  Hits powerfully through the line but other that looks stiff and wooden.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #848
I'll counter that view Rayden as I have been waiting to see Cummins again for a while and frankly I wasn't particularly impressed - lacked control/consistency and relied upon seam instead of the swing he once had.  Seems to always err on the short side and that's a big no no for red ball cricket IMO.

Personally I'd rank him about par with Pattinson - and I'd only consider either if they were consistently taking shield wickets and taking them with away movement.

We need to be developing that third option, and I agree that a bloke who moves the ball away from the bat such as Bird and/or Sayers must be in the frame.

Faulkner is a player who I really like but his time seems to be past - bowling is pretty pedestrian these days and there are plenty of similar handy batty options... but I'd still play him before Mitch Marsh who simply isn't up to it.  Hits powerfully through the line but other that looks stiff and wooden.

Cummins has changed his action and doesnt swing the ball anymore..,more of the angle in and get the ball to seam away type bowler now, like I said I reckon they will go with Sayers and try and develop a genuine swing bowler to compliment Starc and Hazlewood.

Reply #849

I think Pattinson when fit is well ahead of Cummins and Hazelwood and for what it is worth has better new ball control than Starc.

I suspect if Pattinson had been fit Marsh will still be in a job and Sth Africa might not have won.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #850
In the context of fast bowlers changing their actions, did anyone see Doug Ackerly's interviewed about the impact of the front foot rule?

This, Ackerly argues, changed everything.

"What I found was that it shortened the delivery stride ... and a jump appeared in the gather, which is the preparation before the delivery stride for fast bowlers," he said.

"[Now you get] lumbar stress fractures and front foot stress fractures with five to eight times your body weight going through that front foot."

Australia's list of pace bowlers has been dogged by stress fractures in recent years, with James Pattinson, Mitchell Starc and Peter Siddle all suffering.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-12-05/no-ball-rule-'hurting-australia's-pace-bowlers'/8092284

Apart from the ongoing calls for the rule to be changed to make umpiring easier, Ackerly's study provides compelling evidence to revert to the back foot rule.

It was fascinating to compare the actions of bowlers prior to 1963 with those of post-1963 bowlers.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #851
Four catches and a stumping!

It will be a bonus if Wade makes runs to go with his very good performance with the gloves  :)

It would have been a bonus if he made runs.
Problem is he is average with the gloves and cannot be taken to India.
As I said, the selection was short sighted, considering that tour is just around the corner

Reply #852
It would have been a bonus if he made runs.
Problem is he is average with the gloves and cannot be taken to India.
As I said, the selection was short sighted, considering that tour is just around the corner

I think while we are winning they will stick with Wade, Pakis are just deplorable and like New Zealand in the One dayers look
like they are here for a holiday and couldnt be bothered...8/97 is pathetic on a decent pitch unless of course they have a few
rupee's on the result.

Reply #853
I think while we are winning they will stick with Wade, Pakis are just deplorable and like New Zealand in the One dayers look
like they are here for a holiday and couldnt be bothered...8/97 is pathetic on a decent pitch unless of course they have a few
rupee's on the result.

Just makes no sense persisting with a crap keeper.

Reply #854
You guys beat me to this, as I've been coaching today.   Yep, Wade has been disappointing.   His batting has been woeful and the missed stumping was awful and doesn't help his cause with the bevy of haters he has in the commentary box...
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?