Skip to main content
Topic: Australian Cricket - Crisis, What Crisis ?? (Read 547003 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Australian Cricket - Crisis, What Crisis ??

Reply #885
That was an amazing win considering the time lost to bad weather  :o

I think we desperately need a 5th bowler ... who can bat.  The question is whether we go for a medium pacer or a spinner, ie Cartwright or Agar.

While I think that commentators should be free to express their opinions, they should be informed, unbiased opinions, not shameless attempts to promote their favourites over more deserving cricketers.  Warney may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but he calls it as he sees it and doesn't get involved in the bullcrape that some of our ex-cricketers thrive on.

Medium Pacer for me as the 5th bowler.....Aus wickets dont help the spinners enough....South African and English wickets help the seamers more as does NZ. Its really only India that helps the spinners and where you need a spinning allrounder IMO.

Reply #886
Medium Pacer for me as the 5th bowler.....Aus wickets dont help the spinners enough....South African and English wickets help the seamers more as does NZ. Its really only India that helps the spinners and where you need a spinning allrounder IMO.

I think that's right EB but the commentators were emphasising the likely turn from the Sydney pitch.  Are they just pumping up O'Keefe's chances?

My preference is for a medium pacer who can maintain pressure on the batters - and score runs.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #887
I think Agar as we are playing in Sydney and then heading to India. We need our best team for the conditions.
O'Keefe is no certainty to see out the tour and at 32??? Is not getting any younger.
Wade is not up to it. Hasn't made the runs he was brought in to make. Not a great keeper and will be exposed in India.

Reply #888
Agar in the 11 for Maddison.

We need an extra spinner for Sydney.
I spent most of my money on Women and grog.
The rest I just wasted.

Reply #889
Agar in the 11 for Maddison.

We need an extra spinner for Sydney.

I agree, Agar over O'Keefe.  Lyon has to stay in, particularly as it's finally a decent spin friendly wicket for him to have a go on.  O'Keefe is the "safe" option, no future there.  Agar has the ability to bat 7, or maybe even 6 one day if he worked hard on the batting, depends on what he wants to prioritise.  He is an extremely gifted striker...he'd bat ahead of Wade atm.
Life is pain....... anyone who says differently is selling something.

Reply #890
From what I'm hearing, one of the fast bowlers will be rested and Cartwright and another spinner will come in.

Lehman was quite outspoken in his assessment of Lyon as the best Aussie spinner and Smith gave strong support to Wade.  I reckon the latter has to make runs in Sydney though.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #891
Agree with Kevin Pietersen, Glen Maxwell should be in the test tsquad, pity he isnt in sync with the establishment and some of the key personnel because he is a very talented player. He got carried away with himself for sure and his attitude was that of a knob who thought he had made it but he deserves a second chance IMO and I'd be taking him to India.
Okeefe is a one day bowler IMO ...Agar is an unknown to me, clearly has talent but I hope the 20/20 game doesnt ruin his skills for test cricket...I'd be picking Agar ahead of Okeefe and using India as a training camp for him to improve his spin bowling..

Reply #892
Agree with Kevin Pietersen, Glen Maxwell should be in the test tsquad, pity he isnt in sync with the establishment and some of the key personnel because he is a very talented player. He got carried away with himself for sure and his attitude was that of a knob who thought he had made it but he deserves a second chance IMO and I'd be taking him to India.
Okeefe is a one day bowler IMO ...Agar is an unknown to me, clearly has talent but I hope the 20/20 game doesnt ruin his skills for test cricket...I'd be picking Agar ahead of Okeefe and using India as a training camp for him to improve his spin bowling..

Actually O'Keefe has the outstanding bowling average of 23 in First Class cricket and 55 in the one day game so don't be listening to Warnie on that one. His batting average is 30, higher than Agar's too, which is 26. On figures he's actually well ahead of Agar on both counts. If we go a 2nd spinner it'd be O'Keefe for sure IMO. Actually have him ahead of Lyon. Prefer the 3 quicks with one spinner in Sydney though. That's where we go best.

I'd like Maxwell to hold down no.6 as an all rounder as his off-spin would allow us to hit the Poms with all 4 pace bowlers, Starc, Hazelwood, Cummins and Pattinson, which could be lethal.

Just hope he could hold that position down.

Reply #893
I think Agar as we are playing in Sydney and then heading to India. We need our best team for the conditions.
O'Keefe is no certainty to see out the tour and at 32??? Is not getting any younger.
Wade is not up to it. Hasn't made the runs he was brought in to make. Not a great keeper and will be exposed in India.

Wade will eventually bat well. Has 2 Test centuries, five 50s and averaged 34 in Tests before he was bought back. He's just out of touch but will come good. Likely to bat ok in India but on spinning tracks his keeping could be scary as you suggested. Agar's well behind O'Keefe on first class figures, batting or bowling, especially bowling with averages of 23 v 40. On a first class average here of 40 Agar will get spanked in India. Both Agar and O'Keefe played in India in the two-match 'A' series in Chennai between the two nations last year. O'Keefe took 14 wickets at 20 in the two matches and Agar three at 31 from one.

Anyway, no-one wins in India, everyone gets a flogging. If we get close they'll just produce a dirty, dry dusty turner next Test. We will get smacked 4-0 so i'm just focused ahead on next years Ashes. We flog India the next time they are here. The result in India won't affect my judgement of the team at all. Last time we lost in India 4-0 we pumped the Poms later that year 5-0.

Reply #894
Wade will eventually bat well. Has 2 Test centuries, five 50s and averaged 34 in Tests before he was bought back. He's just out of touch but will come good. Likely to bat ok in India but on spinning tracks his keeping could be scary as you suggested. Agar's well behind O'Keefe on first class figures, batting or bowling, especially bowling with averages of 23 v 40. On a first class average here of 40 Agar will get spanked in India.

Anyway, no-one wins in India, everyone gets a flogging. If we get close they'll just produce a dirty, dry dusty turner next Test. We will get smacked 4-0 so i'm just focused ahead on next years Ashes. We flog India the next time they are here. The result in India won't affect my judgement of the team at all. Last time we lost in India 4-0 we pumped the Poms later that year 5-0.

The reason I prefer Agar is his height and also being a left Armer.
Indian conditions are just as often about bounce as they are spin.
We could potentially play all 3 in India though.
At present we are getting nothing out of number 6 and haven't for some time.
Wades keeping will cost more wickets in India than Neville. Wickets you can't afford to miss.
I agree it's the toughest of tours but you have to turn up to compete with your best side.
They are tougher and fitter than ever, so cutting of boundaries like we did in the series when Gilchrist captained won't be the answer but it might be a start.

Reply #895
Wade must just about to be handed a ticket on the last coach outta town..... Maybe we could look at Whiteman or somebody else for Syd-nee?
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #896
The reason I prefer Agar is his height and also being a left Armer.
Indian conditions are just as often about bounce as they are spin.
We could potentially play all 3 in India though.
At present we are getting nothing out of number 6 and haven't for some time.
Wades keeping will cost more wickets in India than Neville. Wickets you can't afford to miss.
I agree it's the toughest of tours but you have to turn up to compete with your best side.
They are tougher and fitter than ever, so cutting of boundaries like we did in the series when Gilchrist captained won't be the answer but it might be a start.

Do agree on plenty then, although i'm still more to with O'Keefe.

I had a more long-winded reply but after clearing our my rum bottle last night I was starting to dribble crape...lol!

Reply #897
Wade must just about to be handed a ticket on the last coach outta town..... Maybe we could look at Whiteman or somebody else for Syd-nee?

Too late, Wade is in...lol. Sure his batting will pick up though. It'll be his last Test for a while though as while his keeping has been ok here this year, India is not the place for him to keep.

Reply #898
O'Keefe preferred over Agar - no surprise given their home states  ::)

It will be interesting to see how Cartwright goes.

Reply #899
After watching the BB last night I can't see S. Marsh getting a gig at test level in the near future. Awful.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?