Skip to main content
Topic: Australian Cricket - Crisis, What Crisis ?? (Read 547454 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Australian Cricket - Crisis, What Crisis ??

Reply #1006
Maxwell, on these pitches, a far, far better bowler than Mitch, and a much better bat too.

Not sure any batsmen can thrive on these wickets, the wickets are basically determining the outcome.

Maxwell plays a lot of cross bat shots from the crease, it's unlikely to lead to many significant innings on up and down turning pitches. The only things in his favor are experience in India and bowling variety.

In my opinion Marsh / Marsh / Wade are all making rookie mistakes, leading with the pads with bats besides. Sure get forward to the ball, but get forward with the bat and keep your pad back and angled down on these sort of wickets. Play well in front of your pads.

So far the best thing beside Lyon has been Wade's improved keeping, it's better than expected on a pretty crap wicket.

Finally, I had an interesting discussion at the pub last night. A fellow cricket enthusiast and long time player suggested the heavy bats Warner, Marsh, Wade, etc., use do not favor scoring in India. He thinks you need light weight bats that allow for very late and significant adjustments(Low interia, easy to move), lots of 1s and 2s with not so many boundaries.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #1007
Not sure any batsmen can thrive on these wickets, the wickets are basically determining the outcome.

Maxwell plays a lot of cross bat shots from the crease, it's unlikely to lead to many significant innings on up and down turning pitches. The only things in his favor are experience in India and bowling variety.

In my opinion Marsh / Marsh / Wade are all making rookie mistakes, leading with the pads with bats besides. Sure get forward to the ball, but get forward with the bat and keep your pad back and angled down on these sort of wickets. Play well in front of your pads.

So far the best thing beside Lyon has been Wade's improved keeping, it's better than expected on a pretty crap wicket.

Yes, you've done well if you get into the 30s on these pitches. There were some good individual innings in this Test, a couple of Indians but especially S.Marsh, Renshaw and to a lesser extent Wade's first innings, who were batting in conditions totally foreign.

Maxwell could go two ways. His cross batted shots could have the same effect as Starc, who's had a good series with the cross-bat slogging. His efforts with the bat put us in a great position in the First Test. Maxwell may similarly smash the spinners off their line or play a dumb shot and get himself out.

Reply #1008
Looks like if we can we can win the last two tosses we can win the series 3-1 (or vice verse if we lose them) as batting last in these doctored up pitches is plainly diabolical. Ball spitting, spinning, bouncing abnormally, ball rolling along the ground. What a nightmare.

So the first Test pitch was rated by the ICC as "poor"........

I agree, we need to win the next toss more than ever now.
Life is pain....... anyone who says differently is selling something.

Reply #1009
On Dave Warner....looks a bit sick of International Cricket and touring IMO....needs a break...otherwise he might retire and stick to where the money is in IPL etc..IMHO.

I think his lack of technique has been exposed, nothing more nothing less.
His stats on the sub continent and in England are poor.
Everyone said he would have issues with the moving ball when he first came on the scene, but he produced in Australia so he got a pass.
Time to look at the bigger picture and select players that have a technique and game plan for all conditions.
Renshaw is a prime example

Reply #1010
Mitch Marsh has done a shoulder and has been ruled out of the remaining Tests.

While I don't like to see players injured, it may be a positive for the team.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #1011
Kohli deliberately incites the crowd by belligerently disputing DRS when it fails to favor his team, that is every bit as much cheating as anything Smith has done!

Kohli is the Sean Denham of international cricket.
Keyboard warrior #24601

Reply #1012

Kholii is a star and is one of the best batsman in the world...Denham was a failed rover from Geelong who eked out a career at Essendon following great players around the park notably one G. Williams.
Test Cricket will survive through players like Kholi, sure we all want to slap him for being an obnoxious brat but hey thats how some of our blokes have played the game and prospered ie Dave Warner...Kholi is unusual in that he plays cricket hard and un Indian like with plenty of cheek and chat, makes for a great contest and I enjoy his contribution to the game.

Reply #1013

Kholii is a star and is one of the best batsman in the world...Denham was a failed rover from Geelong who eked out a career at Essendon following great players around the park notably one G. Williams.
Test Cricket will survive through players like Kholi, sure we all want to slap him for being an obnoxious brat but hey thats how some of our blokes have played the game and prospered ie Dave Warner...Kholi is unusual in that he plays cricket hard and un Indian like with plenty of cheek and chat, makes for a great contest and I enjoy his contribution to the game.

Yes, I tend to agree.  Kohli's behaviour, while over the top, is no different to what we see from the Aussie test team ... and Smith was cheating!
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #1014
We have too many batsmen who are flat-track bullies at home but get found out in places like the sub-continent where the ball turns on a different paced pitch.

"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"

Reply #1015
Finally, I had an interesting discussion at the pub last night. A fellow cricket enthusiast and long time player suggested the heavy bats Warner, Marsh, Wade, etc., use do not favor scoring in India. He thinks you need light weight bats that allow for very late and significant adjustments(Low interia, easy to move), lots of 1s and 2s with not so many boundaries.

I'm in agreeance with that theory.
"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"

Reply #1016

I'd forgotten that name, or at least blotted it out of my memory.

But as much as Kohli irritates me he's a first class sportsmen, not a dead-set hack like Denham using gutter tactics to keep up with the big boys.

I'll probably have nightmares now you've refreshed my memory! :(
The Force Awakens!

Reply #1017
Re: bats... not sure they are actually "heavy"... even though they are massive. I'd doubt the Indians use "lighter" bats.

And players on both sides have struggled to make runs.

Reply #1018
Re: bats... not sure they are actually "heavy"... even though they are massive. I'd doubt the Indians use "lighter" bats.

And players on both sides have struggled to make runs.

As I understand it, the dimensions of bats are controlled but weight isn't.  However, the difference between the lightest and heaviest bats is only around 200gm (say 15% of the heavier bats) and I think that the effect of that difference would be negligible for Test cricketers.

It would be interesting to look at the results of any biometric studies of cricket bat weight.

Reply #1019
I purchased bats for both my kids this year and the technology in bats is amazing.  They are all relatively light and the "swing weight" (i.e. balance) is amazing, if you time it the ball just zings away.

I heard that Warner has custom bats for India, with a lower sweet spot and heavier than normal to make up for the lack of weight and bounce.   I suspect this is a mistake.

I have also heard that the more you pay, the better the wood, which means lighter for a given volume - that's why Warner's Kaboom model in a kids size is hopeless because it is made with 5th grade willow and is like swinging a brick.  Current bats aren't pressed and are much drier, that's also why so many break.  My kids played their's in and oiled them because the grain started to open up at first.

DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?