Skip to main content
Topic: Australian Cricket - Crisis, What Crisis ?? (Read 547142 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Australian Cricket - Crisis, What Crisis ??

Reply #30
Ponting has annointed Steve Smith as the next test captain.........the cupboard is officially bare in terms of captaincy options.... :o

Smith would probably make a great skipper, but I worry about his technique.

Footwork non-existent against the quicks and plays a good foot and a half too far away from his body and gets worse the better he's hitting them.

A lot of eye players do this and then, when their form leaves them, they don't have the technique to battle back.

He needs to see some tape of early S Waugh and early D Martin compared to the latter stages of their career to see the changes they made, it's the only tape he'll need to watch.
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #31
Australian crickets downhill slide started with the Steve Waugh captaincy.  Waugh, as good a cricketer as he was, was an ordinary captain and was basically allowed to pick his own side in a era full of serious talent, without any regard whatsoever to the future.

We are stuck recycling the left overs with blokes like Johnston and Haddin, when they should have been sorted out long ago and in themselves we should see blokes helping build the next generation of players not blocking their progress.

Further players like Smith, Warner and  Hughes were anointed before they could even hold a bat. Technically they are closer to hacks than batsmen, and it shows in their highly variable output which is the nicest way I can put it! No other argument is required and no valid defense can be made except it is the way it is.

Australian cricket will not start it rebuild until the ACB breaks the stranglehold NSW Cricket with it's MCC connections have over Australia's 1st class cricketers. That collaboration has become a boat anchor stalling our progress, and now the Indian BCC chips away at the foundations by turning every promising opposition test player into an ax wielding maniac, while they pay their own superstars to limit their exposure to the short forms of the game.

In the meantime more and more talented but disillusioned young cricketers leave the sport. After years of success and promise at junior levels they see no hope in penetrating the nepotistic system that controls Australian cricket and ruins careers.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #32
Ponting has annointed Steve Smith as the next test captain.........the cupboard is officially bare in terms of captaincy options.... :o

Smith would probably make a great skipper, but I worry about his technique.

Footwork non-existent against the quicks and plays a good foot and a half too far away from his body and gets worse the better he's hitting them.

A lot of eye players do this and then, when their form leaves them, they don't have the technique to battle back.

He needs to see some tape of early S Waugh and early D Martin compared to the latter stages of their career to see the changes they made, it's the only tape he'll need to watch.

I dont regard him as a fixture in the team and as you suggest he has little technique and IMO is a slogger who has to get lucky to make runs....

Reply #33
It was interesting that before the run-chase Border and his buddies hinted that on their own dung heap and with nothing to lose these blokes were a real chance.

There is a certain softness with our blokes which is going to take Boof a while to turn around. Can't think of a better bloke to do it, though.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #34
Australian crickets downhill slide started with the Steve Waugh captaincy.  Waugh, as good a cricketer as he was, was an ordinary captain and was basically allowed to pick his own side in a era full of serious talent, without any regard whatsoever to the future.

We are stuck recycling the left overs with blokes like Johnston and Haddin, when they should have been sorted out long ago and in themselves we should see blokes helping build the next generation of players not blocking their progress.

Further players like Smith, Warner and  Hughes were anointed before they could even hold a bat. Technically they are closer to hacks than batsmen, and it shows in their highly variable output which is the nicest way I can put it! No other argument is required and no valid defense can be made except it is the way it is.

Australian cricket will not start it rebuild until the ACB breaks the stranglehold NSW Cricket with it's MCC connections have over Australia's 1st class cricketers. That collaboration has become a boat anchor stalling our progress, and now the Indian BCC chips away at the foundations by turning every promising opposition test player into an ax wielding maniac, while they pay their own superstars to limit their exposure to the short forms of the game.

In the meantime more and more talented but disillusioned young cricketers leave the sport. After years of success and promise at junior levels they see no hope in penetrating the nepotistic system that controls Australian cricket and ruins careers.

I blame John Buchanan...he was endorsed by Waugh because he would do what he was told and be a yes man to everything Tugga wanted including picking his mates and continuing the NSW mafia led dominance of team selection. We ended up with this inner circle of players who controlled the game, sure we had success but it has cost us down the track with the boys club legacy living on.

Reply #35

I blame John Buchanan...he was endorsed by Waugh because he would do what he was told and be a yes man to everything Tugga wanted including picking his mates and continuing the NSW mafia led dominance of team selection. We ended up with this inner circle of players who controlled the game, sure we had success but it has cost us down the track with the boys club legacy living on.

Sound familiar?  >:D
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #36

More likely Bailey to debut soon as captain in his first test. And yes I am serious. And no I am not happy writing this.

And yes we are in an appalling state re: cricket.

Batsmen are only averaging mid 30's at state level, you can't expect any better at test level.

Our era of mediocrity.

Reply #37

You are probably right EB1, no doubt Waugh alone could not have been a problem without some administrative bungling.

Buchanan's heavily biased statistical approach identifies good form but it also exposes a problem. If all you care about is the stats, and you spend all day looking at them, you can miss the cliff you are approaching!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #38
My comment on Australian Cricket is
NO COMMENT
They neglect Shield Cricket which develops the class,
and waste our time with overseas players and overpaid players in pyjama game
I won't take an interest this year

Reply #39
My comment on Australian Cricket is
NO COMMENT
They neglect Shield Cricket which develops the class,
and waste our time with overseas players and overpaid players in pyjama game
I won't take an interest this year

It's very obvious to me - Sutherland is a Vlad clone - chase the coin, ignore the grass roots.....

And take plenty of coin personally whilst at it....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #40
According to Mark Taylor we should be thinking about Moises Henriques as our next skipper......be nice if Moises could actually get in the test team first and Tubby needs to think about Aus cricket not centering around NSW...

Nice of Warnie to fire up Alistair Cook as well.....well done Warnie...just stick to figuring out which phone to use and which one to hide from Liz and stop coaching from the commentary box.....Cook is boring but he a boring winner and your mate Clarkie needs to get a bit more boring and start winning some tests.

Reply #41
According to Mark Taylor we should be thinking about Moises Henriques as our next skipper......be nice if Moises could actually get in the test team first and Tubby needs to think about Aus cricket not centering around NSW...

Nice of Warnie to fire up Alistair Cook as well.....well done Warnie...just stick to figuring out which phone to use and which one to hide from Liz and stop coaching from the commentary box.....Cook is boring but he a boring winner and your mate Clarkie needs to get a bit more boring and start winning some tests.

He is dull but the Pommy MO is to bat long and slow and reduce the chance of losses.

If we don't win at the Gabba we can forget the urn.
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #42
MARVELLOUSHHHHHHHHHHHH

Reply #43
Our Aus A bowlers are doing a brilliant job of starving the poms middle order of runs.   >:D

Adelaide Oval's new big screen TV's work, just walked past on my lunch walk and they are being tested. The footbridge has a LONG way to go though, anticipating a partial completion for use during the test here, then closed again till its totally finished.

Reply #44
Our Aus A bowlers are doing a brilliant job of starving the poms middle order of runs.   >:D

Adelaide Oval's new big screen TV's work, just walked past on my lunch walk and they are being tested. The footbridge has a LONG way to go though, anticipating a partial completion for use during the test here, then closed again till its totally finished.
Leave the bridge as is but open in up anyway :)