Skip to main content
Topic: Australian Cricket - Crisis, What Crisis ?? (Read 546749 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Australian Cricket - Crisis, What Crisis ??

Reply #255
I used to be Anti Anti Anti Steve Smith...didn't rate him as a batsman...thought his technique had too many flaws and he was only getting a gig cause of the NSW connection...but now I can't get enough...this guy can seriously bat...really impressed with him 8)

Reply #256
I used to be Anti Anti Anti Steve Smith...didn't rate him as a batsman...thought his technique had too many flaws and he was only getting a gig cause of the NSW connection...but now I can't get enough...this guy can seriously bat...really impressed with him 8)

I'd rate him more if the opposition was better than sub district level......you have a bloke on 96 and Shami delivers a medium pace half volley on leg stump.....most of us could have deflected that for four easy runs.
Dhoni has tried to bounce blokes out on a wicket that doesnt have much life and with a pop gun attack that only has 4 bowlers....go figure.
The Indians have a garbage attack and appear only half interested wit their eyes on the World Cup, really unless we are playing England or South Africa there is little competition in the world for Australia and teams like India and Pakistan only try when they are on home soil in their own conditions...

Reply #257

I'd rate him more if the opposition was better than sub district level......you have a bloke on 96 and Shami delivers a medium pace half volley on leg stump.....most of us could have deflected that for four easy runs.
Dhoni has tried to bounce blokes out on a wicket that doesnt have much life and with a pop gun attack that only has 4 bowlers....go figure.
The Indians have a garbage attack and appear only half interested wit their eyes on the World Cup, really unless we are playing England or South Africa there is little competition in the world for Australia and teams like India and Pakistan only try when they are on home soil in their own conditions...

You can't do much more against good opposition than he has in the last 18 months. Absolute star.

Reply #258
I think he has been doing alright while others have been failing. Our lower order has done well to keep our scores higher than they could be. Fair enough Elwood does make a point about how ordinary the Indian bowling attack is. How do our upper order batmen not go on to score far more than they have been. Our lower order at times appear to need to bowl well, and put the score up on the board when batting. If its not Harris, its Johnson or someone else like Starc.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #259

Steve Smith's played the very best opposition in the last 18 months.

India's made 400s every first innings so they're interested alright. Big difference is our bowlers....when they're batting. We haven't bowled great. Usually one bowler has done the job. In a reasonably close series we've won all the big moments that mattered.

Just wish we wouldn't serve up flat tracks for India. They'd doctor them for us big time. Give them green ones for a change and stop pandering to them.

Reply #260

India's made 400s every first innings so they're interested alright. Big difference is our bowlers....when they're batting. We haven't bowled great. Usually one bowler has done the job. In a reasonably close series we've won all the big moments that mattered.

Just wish we wouldn't serve up flat tracks for India. They'd doctor them for us big time. Give them green ones for a change and stop pandering to them.

Think some of the Indians are interested like Kholi who is batting well mainly due to his dislike of Johnson and wants to prove a point but you cant tell me Dhoni is trying.....my German Shepherd would be more keen behind the wicket and probably show more interest in the field placings....his batting has also been careless and lacking intent. Ishant Sharma is the same...130k half rat power deliveries and seems more interested in arguing with Warner than bowling....
Even Johnson looks disinterested and bowled a lot of half rat power carp at Rahane/Kholi and went back to the old Mitch and bowled half trackers wide of the wicket that got hammered......
Lyon couldnt even take a regulation caught and bowled such was his lack of concentration.....

The flat wickets are helping keep the games alive, if you cant make runs on these el paradiso tracks then you shouldnt be playing the game......Shane Watson says hello.

re: Smith....played well but I still have trouble rating a player who is so unorthodox and slogs like a park cricketer....Shami,Ishant, Yadav, Ashwin and Vijay aint quality no matter how much the chanenel 9 commentators build them up...

I am glad Kholi is playing as otherwise this series would be one of the most boring...agree on the green pitches, I would have served up green tops in every state although since the passing
of Phil Hughes I detect a reluctance from our quicks to bowl too many intimidating deliveries...been bouncers but not the targeted throat high ones that have to be fended off....

Reply #261
The flat wickets are helping keep the games alive, if you cant make runs on these el paradiso tracks then you shouldnt be playing the game......Shane Watson says hello.

I'd rather see Australia lose tests instead of persisting with these crappy flat wickets. We need to create an environment that makes batsmen, rather than one which harbours mediocrity.
IN WADA WE TRUST

Reply #262
Wally Edwards reckons Victoria is not doing enough to get players in the Test side and Tony Dodemaide blames the focus on the short forms of the game.

Cricket Australia chairman Wally Edwards has put the heat on Victoria to produce more Test cricketers with some pointed remarks during a Boxing Day Test that features more Victorians in the commentary box than on the field.

Edwards, speaking at luncheon on day two of the Melbourne Test, pointed to participation numbers that show Victoria boasts more cricketers than footballers, and more cricketers than the production-line state in NSW, but does not pull its weight in contributing players for the Test team.
http://www.theage.com.au/sport/cricket/cricket-australia-asks-where-are-all-the-victorians-20141228-12enl0.html

Here I was thinking that NSW players were given their baggy green when they won their NSW cap  ;)

Seriously, it is a bit odd that Victoria has performed better than most in the Shield over many years but can't produce more than the occasional Test player.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #263
Dhoni has just retired from test cricket so I feel a bit vindicated on my comments about his poor efforts and lack of intensity in this test series.
Clearly he wasnt interested in this series and is going to play 50 over and 20/20 cricket only  where he makes a fortune in the IPL etc...

Kholi will be the new captain which will be interesting given his attitude to anything in a baggy green and given today's farcical events between him Haddin, Warner and crew I can see things heating up.
If I was the umpires I wouldnt be putting up with much more of this and would be reporting players before it gets out of hand...Kholi has far too much to say for a player who who wasnt captain(now is) and Haddin likewise was baiting him all day and its not a good look for the game. Haddin, Warner and crew need to be told to back off and likewise Kholi needs to be told the same and not be so precious when things that are accidental like Johnson throw that him get him upset...
Johnson plays hard but doesnt IMO go out there to injure players and does show genuine concern when players are hurt by bouncers etc.....

Shaun Marsh played well for his 99 and is a good player to watch when he attacks and while I remain skeptical about his ability at test cricket I enjoyed his innings and sportsmanship.....he doesnt mouth off and also claps his opponents when they reach 50, 100 etc and behaves like a test cricketer should and I hope he can make some more runs and hold his place..

Reply #264

Think some of the Indians are interested like Kholi who is batting well mainly due to his dislike of Johnson and wants to prove a point but you cant tell me Dhoni is trying.....my German Shepherd would be more keen behind the wicket and probably show more interest in the field placings....his batting has also been careless and lacking intent. Ishant Sharma is the same...130k half rat power deliveries and seems more interested in arguing with Warner than bowling....
Even Johnson looks disinterested and bowled a lot of half rat power carp at Rahane/Kholi and went back to the old Mitch and bowled half trackers wide of the wicket that got hammered......
Lyon couldnt even take a regulation caught and bowled such was his lack of concentration.....

re: Smith....played well but I still have trouble rating a player who is so unorthodox and slogs like a park cricketer....Shami,Ishant, Yadav, Ashwin and Vijay aint quality no matter how much the chanenel 9 commentators build them up...

I am glad Kholi is playing as otherwise this series would be one of the most boring...agree on the green pitches, I would have served up green tops in every state although since the passing
of Phil Hughes I detect a reluctance from our quicks to bowl too many intimidating deliveries...been bouncers but not the targeted throat high ones that have to be fended off....

Smith is a gun.  Averaging 50 in Tests now. He isn't just a slogger, he's a super batsman.

Just flat wickets, it why bowlers look like they're at half rat power. If you bent your back all day on those you'd know about it as you're bowling for a long time without reward. Actually have to pace yourself.  Pitches are ridiculously flat. How many times has a side made 400's, a couple of times mid-400s and keep getting beaten, or near beaten as in this Test. If ever green pitches should be provided for a team it should be India given both what they doctor up for us and they incessant whinging.

Reply #265
CA witer Andrew Ramsay has just released his greatest world cup team ever;

1 Sanath Jayasuriya
2 Adam Gilchrist
3 Ricky Ponting VC
4 Sachin Tendulkar
5 Viv Richards
6 Brain Lara
7 Jacques Kallis
8 Imran Khan
9 Wasim Akram
10 Muthiah Muralidaran
11 Glenn McGrath

12th Ian Botham

What doesn't this side have? Dynamic openers, Hall of Fame mid order, When you can bat Kallis at 7 you know things are good. Then facing the bowling; Akram and McGrath with the swing and accuracy of Imran and Kallis them Murali with chuck a few overs down. With Viv & Jayasuriya to be change up bowlers. If someone did get a shot away and going for a quick single you'd have Viv, Ponting and Sachin throwing down the stumps.

http://www.cricket.com.au/news/feature/andrew-ramsey-names-all-time-icc-cricket-world-cup-12/2014-12-31

Reply #266
CA witer Andrew Ramsay has just released his greatest world cup team ever;

1 Sanath Jayasuriya
2 Adam Gilchrist
3 Ricky Ponting VC
4 Sachin Tendulkar
5 Viv Richards
6 Brain Lara
7 Jacques Kallis
8 Imran Khan
9 Wasim Akram
10 Muthiah Muralidaran
11 Glenn McGrath

12th Ian Botham

What doesn't this side have? Dynamic openers, Hall of Fame mid order, When you can bat Kallis at 7 you know things are good. Then facing the bowling; Akram and McGrath with the swing and accuracy of Imran and Kallis them Murali with chuck a few overs down. With Viv & Jayasuriya to be change up bowlers. If someone did get a shot away and going for a quick single you'd have Viv, Ponting and Sachin throwing down the stumps.

http://www.cricket.com.au/news/feature/andrew-ramsey-names-all-time-icc-cricket-world-cup-12/2014-12-31

Holy crap, that's some side. Two of the 3 greatest all rounders of all time in there. Imran, one of the greatest fast bowlers of all time, who could swing the ball at express pace, averaging 22 with the ball and 37 with the bat in Tests, and Kallis, who averaged 55 with the bat and 33 with the ball. Two of the most explosive batsmen of all time in Gilly and Richards, the brilliance of Lara and Ponting and one of the greatest exponent of swing bowling in Akram and the man closest to the greatest very quick in McGrath.

Reckon one could pick a second side near as good. Greenidge and Haynes at the top of the order, Lillee and Hadlee as the quicks, Botham as an all rounder, and Warne as the spinner.

Reply #267
I'd have Botham in ahead of Kallis and Warne ahead  of Murali and I reckon AB De Villiers would also be in my team instead of Lara....AB's stats are just too good to ignore.

Chris Gayle would also be in instead of Jayasuriya.......more muscle and hitting power

Malcom Marshall  instead of McGrath.....Marshall can handle the bat and I prefer the extra firepower with the ball..

Reply #268
Wally Edwards comments about Victoria not doing enough to produce Test cricketers have been shown up by the selection of Ashton Agar  :o

Forgetting the fact that he is originally a Victorian, his selection shows that form has nothing to do with getting picked; 7 wickets at 45 and 130 runs at 26 is hardly putting your hand up for a Test spot.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #269
Wally Edwards comments about Victoria not doing enough to produce Test cricketers have been shown up by the selection of Ashton Agar  :o

Forgetting the fact that he is originally a Victorian, his selection shows that form has nothing to do with getting picked; 7 wickets at 45 and 130 runs at 26 is hardly putting your hand up for a Test spot.

How they didn't pick Boyce is beyond me