41 - Casboult
[ 0 ] (0%)
42 - Tuohy
[ 4 ] (3.8%)
43 - White
[ 0 ] (0%)

Total Members Voted: 38

Voting closed: May 12, 2014, 10:22:11 pm

Topic: R7 - WORST on ground vs Pies (Read 14173 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: R7 - WORST on ground vs Pies

Reply #30
Yeah but usually the ball is down there for Rioli. It was basically bombed on his head, two on one, he was taken out of the contest and the other bloke just waltzed it away. 30% forward half says it all really.

So what exactly was he meant to do? He got up the ground and our guys just threw it on the boot or kicked it to 3 on 1's.

I would hate to be a forward in this team under this system.

Not just the MM system, even under Ratten we deep fried our forwards with poor decision making and even worse disposal!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #31
@Shadesy, its a different code, but in soccer, when you are a forward and you are being starved of posession, your goal is then to try and open up space.  That means running for no good reason but into positions that will drag opponents out of areas, and hopefully assist you in freeing up a teamate whilst unsettling your opposition defense.

On too many occasions on Friday, Collingwood were able to setup (defensively) as they pleased.

My question is, if you are Henderson, why wouldnt you drag someone back to the square?  If you are not getting it, you may as well take one opponent out of that half back zone, and lead towards goal.  It should in theory open up a gap for us to be able to at worst then bomb a clearance from defense into without having a guy waiting underneath it.

The answer might lie in the Ratten game plan where everyone used to vacate 50, and then stream back towards goal in an effort to lose their opponents.  The trouble is, that times have changed.  Again, habits are hard to break. 

Then there is the disposal side of the argument, where even when we get it into the right spots we then get the ball at each others boot laces, or a few metres either side of the target which results in the ball slingshotting straight back.

Composure and execution.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #32
Yeah but usually the ball is down there for Rioli. It was basically bombed on his head, two on one, he was taken out of the contest and the other bloke just waltzed it away. 30% forward half says it all really.

So what exactly was he meant to do? He got up the ground and our guys just threw it on the boot or kicked it to 3 on 1's.

I would hate to be a forward in this team under this system.

Agree the team had no chance the way we were set up on Friday.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #33
@Shadesy, its a different code, but in soccer, when you are a forward and you are being starved of posession, your goal is then to try and open up space.  That means running for no good reason but into positions that will drag opponents out of areas, and hopefully assist you in freeing up a teamate whilst unsettling your opposition defense.

On too many occasions on Friday, Collingwood were able to setup (defensively) as they pleased.

My question is, if you are Henderson, why wouldnt you drag someone back to the square?  If you are not getting it, you may as well take one opponent out of that half back zone, and lead towards goal.  It should in theory open up a gap for us to be able to at worst then bomb a clearance from defense into without having a guy waiting underneath it.

Poor example. If Hendo is in the centre with two opposition players and runs goalwards who is left to kick it to coming out of defence? Can he even be reached with a kick? Not unless it can be kicked 90m. In soccer you can cover the field with one pass, not in AFL.

Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #34
Carrots you are looking too much at one example of running into different areas, and not enough about the idea.

Think about it, instead of leading up the wing, why not lead out to the oppsite wing?  Sure the resultant pass would be a more difficult one for your teamates to hit, than one down the line, but the idea is that moving in an unorthodox fashion might result in Casboult being left one out, or better yet, Lachie could end up on the end of a cross half back/half forward clearance pass.

Anyway, the running back to the square is simply a way of providing seperation for a teamate (in this example Levi).  I wouldnt be too dismissive of it, as the biggest issue I saw on Friday was that Henderson had two men to beat every time the ball was bombed to him.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #35
He was certainly outnumbered and ragdolled without getting free kicks. He still needs to do more IMO. He was playing better this time last year no doubt and we all had him pegged as a big improver this year.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #36
Where's the Mick Malthouse option..  :P

Reply #37
He was certainly outnumbered and ragdolled without getting free kicks. He still needs to do more IMO. He was playing better this time last year no doubt and we all had him pegged as a big improver this year.

Personally i think Hendo has been very good for us this. Top 5 in the B+F. Given him BOG votes at least twice.

However, i gave him WOG votes this week.

I reckon he was owed about 6 free kicks and was not getting good supply. However, when things like that aren't going your way, make something happen. If you have 2 players on you in the goal square, lead up to the wing. If you have 2 players on you when you are on the wing, then you have someone else who doesn't have an opponent that we should be looking too.

He is a gun player who will attract plenty of attention, especially when Waite isn't playing, and he needs to be smarter about it....and more importantly, so does the team!