Skip to main content
Topic: 2014 World Cup. (Read 74848 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2014 World Cup.

Reply #90
But blokes like Athanasiadis, Lazaros and Samaris? Anyway, more youth should have been introduced to the line up a long time ago.
Samaris yep.  Lazaros is a sometimes proposition and his form has been patchy at best, and Athanasiadis has shown solid form over the last few years but only in the Greek league.

These guys probably should have played more than they have lately, but I dont think they are signficantly better than what else is currently playing for us and may not have made a major difference to our game.

K. Paps is a big loss though.

I just think that the best of greek football is not quite up to scratch and solid competition is about as good as we can hope for.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #91
I agree we're not up to scratch but we can surely do better than Gekas up front. That has proven to be a severe handicap in big tournaments time and time again. Also Lazaros has been pulling the strings for Bologna in the Serie A and looked the goods in our friendlies. He should be given a chance. Can't see it happening however.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #92
I agree we're not up to scratch but we can surely do better than Gekas up front. That has proven to be a severe handicap in big tournaments time and time again. Also Lazaros has been pulling the strings for Bologna in the Serie A and looked the goods in our friendlies. He should be given a chance. Can't see it happening however.

Stands to reason that you follow the Greek patriotic protocol and show some support for a close regional and cultural neighbour. Italy
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

― Mark Twain

Reply #93

Greek coach must be Mick Malthouse

Reply #94
Lol it's way worse than that. Imagine Mick still had Kouta, Campo and let's say Aaaron Joseph on the list and was still playing them at the expense of Menzel and Yarran. That would be a good comparison.

@DU

Actually no it's the opposite for us in Australia, we hate the Italians though I do have a new found respect for them in the way they play and the fact they knocked Germany out of Euro 2012.....in Greece however they love the Italians calling them cousins. They have a special saying uno razza uno fazza. ;)
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #95
Lol it's way worse than that. Imagine Mick still had Kouta, Campo and let's say Aaaron Joseph on the list and was still playing them at the expense of Menzel and Yarran. That would be a good comparison.

@DU

Actually no it's the opposite for us in Australia, we hate the Italians though I do have a new found respect for them in the way they play and the fact they knocked Germany out of Euro 2012.....in Greece however they love the Italians calling them cousins. They have a special saying uno razza uno fazza. ;)

Time to respect the roots P2C, the real Greeks and Italians are like family. Forget the local differences lol
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

― Mark Twain

Reply #96

@DU

LOL, there is no Menzel and Yarran in the wings.  You severly underate these two by saying as much.  Its more so about playing Bradley at age 36 than someone like Sam Cranage or Murray Vance.

Sadly if its not Mitroglou up front we are in all sorts.  Athanasiadis has not really done well against strong opposition and much of his domestic form is up against the easy beats.

In fact, I would have preffered we played Salpigidis centrally and playing Lazaros out wide on the right than Gekas, but I dont think it would have made any difference as we really had a hard time creating scoring opportunities in the final third, and that had more to do with our ball use than our formation, and the players playing.  They were too quick to cross in, and moved the ball around the park too slowly when in posession and dont seem to understand that sometimes, patient build up and switching of play will open up opportunities than you could otherwise.

In any case, I dont think we were all that bad either.  Sure, it was a bad loss, but thinking of our last 6 months and the amount of players that got into this world cup on the back of injury clouds and just non existant form, we have done okay thus far.

Paul Hewson

Reply #97
It is absolute BS that we finally get a star striker and he's bunged up for the WC plus the move to Foolham was just sheer lunacy. Should have waited for the off season. Now apparently Besiktas are into him FFS.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #98
Bravo Australia what an effort.....and to think I thought they'd embarrass themselves like my mate Ross said, Australia have that winning attitude, they always rate themselves a chance and have that great Aussie never say die culture. Would be a great thing if they could knock off Spain.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #99
My mate made an interesting comment......if Schwarzer plays this tournament the Socceroos probably progress through to the round of 16 Matt Ryan has been awful in goal. Schwarzer was playing Champions League semi-finals.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #100
Bravo Australia what an effort.....and to think I thought they'd embarrass themselves like my mate Ross said, Australia have that winning attitude, they always rate themselves a chance and have that great Aussie never say die culture. Would be a great thing if they could knock off Spain.

Ill find a quote for you on GS where I said we will fair better than most think.  The Aussies have the never say die attitude that many of the world lack and a proffesionalism to out work the best sides in the world.

I agree with your mate about Schwarzer.  Ryan was ordinary, but its clear to me that this change was a cultural shift and a changing of the guard as much as anything else.  The respectable thing to do would have been to have taken Schwarzer to this world cup and then he could have hung up the boots.  Particularly with game 3 vs Spain a dead rubber now.

Still, I think we made the shift in coach too soon or too late.  Holga should have taken us to the world cup, and Postecoglou should have taken over after the world cup and made the transition in the side.  Either that, or Postecoglou should have been approached earlier so he could have started the changes 2 years ago.  It was a very disrespectful way to end blokes careers early, and although it appears to have paid dividends, I dont see why we couldnt have taken lets say Wilkshire to the world cup.

Paul Hewson

Reply #101
So have the Aussies won a match yet ??

"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"

Reply #102
No but to put this morning's match in perspective, Australia had the most honourable loss you could ever imagine against a team that should really have knocked their socks off.

Paul Hewson

Reply #103
What a massive fall from grace for the shifty Spaniolos!!

Reply #104
I got up at 2:00AM this morning expecting a 'white wash'. Very impressed by the Aussies!!

I would've liked to see Bresciano play out the game a little longer, thought he was very influential in the first half. Pity they couldn't maintain a level score-line, but an all round very entertaining match.

Let's hope they woop the 'El Polo's Loco' outa the park.

And.... it be nice if Italy gets another win on Saturday morning  ;D
Why did the Carlton FC fall? So they could learn to pick themselves up.