Skip to main content
Topic: RD 1 - Blues Lose To Tigers (Aftermatch Angst & Teeth Gnashing) (Read 117538 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: RD 1 - Blues Lose To Tigers (Aftermatch Angst & Teeth Gnashing)

Reply #150
I agree on tv you get a much better view of the in close stuff but at the ground I get a much better view of Clem Smith being 20 metres behind Houli at the start of the chase and 60 metres behind by end of it. It was embarrassing.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #151
I agree on tv you get a much better view of the in close stuff but at the ground I get a much better view of Clem Smith being 20 metres behind Houli at the start of the chase and 60 metres behind by end of it. It was embarrassing.

Yep
As i said I wasn't disputing it.....and it's obviously a fitness issue he'll need to work on.

The best way to judge these things I guess is to have the advantage of seeing the game live.... and then having a look at the replay for the more subtle, harder to see, issues.

Reply #152

In terms of what happened last night, I'm sure you're right. In spite of this, that young man Smith is the least of our worries. Richmond went through him when they had the ball, but the other big issues are what we do when we have the ball (butcher it), and what we do when the ball is in dispute (sweet fa). Fix those two and Clem's youth and tank becomes such a minor factor that it's barely worth mentioning.

But your point is well made and well taken.

Reply #153
For me a separation based on pace is fine.  One has played less than one game the other ten years of footy. 

When you are at the ground you see the off the ball efforts.  Henderson as an example was pushing up and down the ground like a yo yo from defensive 50 to offensive 50.  The punch to Menzel was a result of one of these shuttle runs after competing at half back and then again at half forward to create that goal.

You won't see that on TV. 

Still I couldn't figure out how the Tigers had so many loose men all the time.  We had issues manning up through the corridor and until we fix that expect our boundary game plan to continue.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #154
Can anyone who watched it live confirm that we played man on man the whole match ?

Reply #155
Can anyone who watched it live confirm that we played man on man the whole match ?

There is no chance of this, many many times when the tiggies had the ball they had 2 - 3 loose men to pass too. They ran harder than our blokes and made space and broke away..sadly very easily as well.
SOS - "I hated losing"

Reply #156
There is no chance of this, many many times when the tiggies had the ball they had 2 - 3 loose men to pass too. They ran harder than our blokes and made space and broke away..sadly very easily as well.

Thanks Michael - that's the impression I got from the broadcast. But was this due to a change in strategy, lack of fitness / fatigue, the "I can't be ar$ed" syndrome, or some combination thereof ?

Reply #157
Our forwards put zero pressure on their defenders. They ran the ball out of defence with ease and can do what they liked because of weight of numbers. Our midfield and defenders had no chance.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #158
Holy moly this is going to be a painful year, I still maintain Richmond are sh1te but we are so much sh1tter. Clem Smith should have never played you have to factor in you might get an injury early and therefore is that player ready for a full game at senior level. Feel sorry for the kid but he shouldnt have been in that position.

Cripps is a real worry, is unbelievably slow live and he better turn into a clearance/inside machine or develop unbelievable footy smarts ala Mitchell or he will struggle big time. He also has a very weak kick so many of his kicks dropping short and players sprinting to meet the bounce of the ball expecting at least something of average distance.

Murph and Gibbs are a worry, Murph played his best footy as Judd's sidekick in the early years and now can't handle the heat. Where is the 16/17 yr old Gibbs that tore it up against men in the SANFL, I would be trading him for Dangerfield or something else at this stage.

No speed, no run, no energy and we play the boundary to protect ourselves which still doesnt do anything because we don't score but still get scored against. Early season frustration I know but struggle to see Mick being there next year and I would replace Murph as captain next year but there is no one else.

Reply #159
Our forwards put zero pressure on their defenders. They ran the ball out of defence with ease and can do what they liked because of weight of numbers. Our midfield and defenders had no chance.

Our guys are too slow, Hendo, Bell, Rowe, Gibbs, Cripps cannot catch these blokes, Jones wouldn't chase and tackle and Murphy can't stop a gnat!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #160
Yes ...we have gone from the quickest to the slowest team in 4 years with a corresponding drop in skill....

Reply #161

And yet there you were saying a couple of days ago it was a great move getting rid of Betts. Go figure.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #162
Yes ...we have gone from the quickest to the slowest team in 4 years with a corresponding drop in skill....

This. Can't believe how badly we were chopped up on the outside.

Reply #163

They dropped an extra man in defense for large parts of the game.

Reply #164
And yet there you were saying a couple of days ago it was a great move getting rid of Betts. Go figure.

We didn't get rid of Betts, he left just like Dasiy left Collingwood, Buddy left the Hawks etc.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!