Skip to main content
Topic: Rd 21: Post Game Passion: Carlton vs Brisbane (Read 30614 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Rd 21: Post Game Passion: Carlton vs Brisbane

Reply #60
Funny how in in the second half SOJ, SOS jnr, BB, Cunners start getting involved and we look so much better. 

This game really underlined for me that aside from massive holes in the list at either end our midfield group is in drastic need of work.  We are slow, don't run both ways,  lack polish, lack body size in the middle of the ground and make terrible decisions with ball in hand.  The midfield group really needs refurbishment and drastic improvement could happen really rapidly IMO with effort in this area.

Side has missed Byrne, Murph and Charlie C badly as they use the ball better, and are quicker than so many others.

A player that epitomises this group is Kerridge... love his application and size but he ain't quick and he is terrible with the ball in hand.  How do you teach blokes decision making under pressure?

Couldn't agree more Prof. This IMO is by far and away our greatest priority even though our forward set-up also needs significant improvement too.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #61
Funny how in in the second half SOJ, SOS jnr, BB, Cunners start getting involved and we look so much better. 

This game really underlined for me that aside from massive holes in the list at either end our midfield group is in drastic need of work.  We are slow, don't run both ways,  lack polish, lack body size in the middle of the ground and make terrible decisions with ball in hand.  The midfield group really needs refurbishment and drastic improvement could happen really rapidly IMO with effort in this area.

Side has missed Byrne, Murph and Charlie C badly as they use the ball better, and are quicker than so many others.

A player that epitomises this group is Kerridge... love his application and size but he ain't quick and he is terrible with the ball in hand.  How do you teach blokes decision making under pressure?

re: Kerridge....handy player but was surplus behind Dangerfield, Sloane, Thompson, Crouch bros....we will be a good team when players like Kerridge are playing mainly in the NB's
and are only backup for injuries just like he was at the Crows...

Agree on Byrne, Charlie C and the skipper......badly missed......Byrne and Charlie Curnow are probably our two most exciting players but like with most players who have some X factoor they seem to get injured more..

Reply #62
We still need more midfield depth.
C Curnow, murphy and Byrne are no where near the swans mids.
Kennedy, Parker and Hannerbery are elite.
We really need 2 AA mids for the next 8 years to play with cripps.

We also need to decide whether Casboult is worth $500k a year that he is asking for

Reply #63
We also need to decide whether Casboult is worth $500k a year that he is asking for
Such a conundrum when you see him kick and mark like yesterday. His best is very very good.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #64
Such a conundrum when you see him kick and mark like yesterday. His best is very very good.

True but he has so far lacked consistency. Unless that can be fixed then ???? If we could find another good reliable KPF to complement Levi then the problem may be resolved. Jones yesterday, despite his best efforts, showed (to me at least) that he is not the one we need but could possibly be OK as a depth/NBs player.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #65

No conundrum for me. He upped his value a little on the trade table. He is a liability most of the time as he doesn't work hard enough, failing to get seperation from his opponent. His kicking is horrific. A highlights reel of contested marks is great, but at his age, he is unlikely to improve.

Could imagine a few teams willing to look at him.

The only issue is that perhaps being on the list another year may act as a bridge season so curnow and mckay can develop. But when casboult has only managed a goal a game as it is this year, his absense may not present as much of a problem.

Reply #66

It really was a game of two halves.  I noted that Boekhorst (1 disposal), Plowman (2), Phillips (2), Cuningham (3), Silvagni (4) and Wright (4) had minimal impact in the first half but, with the exception of Phillips, all stepped up in the second.  Having half the side not contributing puts far too much pressure on our better players.

If there's a positive from the game it is that we didn't fold when we were seven goals down but increased our effort and almost got the win.  That doesn't make the loss anywhere near acceptable but, as Bolton would say, the green shoots are there.

The result should put paid to any thoughts of a priority pick for Brisbane.  They have plenty of talent on their list for a competent coach to work with.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #67
We still need more midfield depth.
C Curnow, murphy and Byrne are no where near the swans mids.
Kennedy, Parker and Hannerbery are elite.
We really need 2 AA mids for the next 8 years to play with cripps.

Good try by Levi. 500k, no a chance. He wouldn't get that anywhere. Give him his due, he's done well given he's  come way off the rookie list and played in  the right role he'll do a good but he's 300k at best, 350k if you really stretched it as a key forward. 300k for me though, certainly not 500k.

Reply #68
No conundrum for me. He upped his value a little on the trade table. He is a liability most of the time as he doesn't work hard enough, failing to get seperation from his opponent. His kicking is horrific. A highlights reel of contested marks is great, but at his age, he is unlikely to improve.

Could imagine a few teams willing to look at him.

The only issue is that perhaps being on the list another year may act as a bridge season so curnow and mckay can develop. But when casboult has only managed a goal a game as it is this year, his absense may not present as much of a problem.

He won't be getting trade unless he chooses to go. Carlton rate him and in the short term, need him. I'm not interested what they average. You can contribute without necessarily scoring. You notice we scored alot more this year when we've had two key forwards playing.

His absence, until the others develop, would be a problem. Problem is we went in alot this year with a structure of one key forward, making life tough for him, not his fault, it's the clubs. Especially after that injury. We've struggled to score. Those that don't understand that blame the player. Imagine if we trade him and have no real key forwards. Notice when he gets help he's alot better? Last year showed that, he was one of the few things to work, yesterday showed it again.

Reply #69
I believe your right, Laj , the twin key forwards has been more successful. So why would Match committee /coach continue with the single key forward option? I mean, ok jones , Everitt Would be the obviously us choices, but they have gone other ways. Sure they see better than we do , so interesting to hear if any one has any inside thoughts on this?
A problem that Levi creates, is that we really labour to get goal kicking opportunities , and when he regularly fluffs them, it must deflate the team moral in general.
With the extra season Charlie & Harry will have under there belt, let's hope they can add to the attack next year to create the twin attack option.

Reply #70
I believe your right, Laj , the twin key forwards has been more successful. So why would Match committee /coach continue with the single key forward option? I mean, ok jones , Everitt Would be the obviously us choices, but they have gone other ways. Sure they see better than we do , so interesting to hear if any one has any inside thoughts on this?
A problem that Levi creates, is that we really labour to get goal kicking opportunities , and when he regularly fluffs them, it must deflate the team moral in general.
With the extra season Charlie & Harry will have under there belt, let's hope they can add to the attack next year to create the twin attack option.

That would be same at Collingwood with Cloke, and even Richmond with Richo. Both a bit better than Levi admittedly.

Anyway, with twin forwards, it spreads the defence more opening it up for others to kick goals. Even if the likes of Jones has a bad day he still takes a man or two, meaning less defenders for Levi and a weaker defender for Everitt and SOS, as the scoreboard attests. We score more easily hence kick alot higher scores, hence the odd miss doesn't deflate as you feel there's another chance around the corner. When struggling to kick 6-8 goals a game, when we had one key forward then those misses hurt.

Reply #71
Good try by Levi. 500k, no a chance. He wouldn't get that anywhere. Give him his due, he's done well given he's  come way off the rookie list and played in  the right role he'll do a good but he's 300k at best, 350k if you really stretched it as a key forward. 300k for me though, certainly not 500k.

The average wage in 2016 is just over $300K and the annual increase is usually just over 5% so we're looking at an average of around $310-315K in 2017.  As we know only too well, key forwards don't grow on trees and that would push Levi's worth up to well above average.

Levi may not get $500K but I suspect his pay packet will be well above $350K.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #72
The average wage in 2016 is just over $300K and the annual increase is usually just over 5% so we're looking at an average of around $310-315K in 2017.  As we know only too well, key forwards don't grow on trees and that would push Levi's worth up to well above average.

Yes, put like that, probably right.

Reply #73

The average wage in 2015 was about $302K, 2016 is expected to be about $320K and 2017 will be in the $330k range.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #74
He won't be getting trade unless he chooses to go. Carlton rate him and in the short term, need him. I'm not interested what they average. You can contribute without necessarily scoring. You notice we scored alot more this year when we've had two key forwards playing.

His absence, until the others develop, would be a problem. Problem is we went in alot this year with a structure of one key forward, making life tough for him, not his fault, it's the clubs. Especially after that injury. We've struggled to score. Those that don't understand that blame the player. Imagine if we trade him and have no real key forwards. Notice when he gets help he's alot better? Last year showed that, he was one of the few things to work, yesterday showed it again.

Two key forwards would be grand indeed. Two good ones that is. Casboult is not good enough. He might take a great grab and lead up the wings. League footy is not played like that anymore. Key forwards, if the term has any meaning anymore, must be mobile, double back and work into space to offer marking and scoring opportunities. They need to run more than they ever have.

That is why we play 2 rucks, offering the potential for mobile marking options across the ground.  The fixation with a 2 forward, 1 ruck as a style of play that is the answer is past. Apart from a couple of rucks in goldstein and gawn who have shown they can ruck most of a game, one ruck with a part time forward ruck is rarely effective in building the style that bolton wants. Even goldstein is looking tired later in the season. Our number one ruck in Kruezer is almost busted.

So yes, we do need two forwards. We need more than two of them. Good ones that can play as modern league forwards need to to create scoring opportunities.  Mobility, pressure and second efforts are more important now than height or contested marking prowess. And accurate kicking helps too. We didn't have two good forwards playing yesterday.  Adelaide may approximate the two key forward style that is so often being discussed. But walker and jenkins play in a fashion that casboult is not able to deliver.

Sivagni, despite his youth, played in a way yesterday that is more promising for the future than the traditional key forward lead up marking type.

If we could trade casboult for a low third rounder we should jump at it. Maybe richmond will trade their second round pick to us.