Skip to main content
Topic: Rd 21: Post Game Passion: Carlton vs Brisbane (Read 30582 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Rd 21: Post Game Passion: Carlton vs Brisbane

Reply #105
Bolton is in no different situation now than Ratten was, he needs three or four years to determine if he can cut it. I think his biggest problem is going to be what he does with assistants. The game is too much these days for one person to manage, go as Malthouse!

LP...Fair point on the assistants..a few people have attributed Freo's fall from grace on Ross Lyons assistants and Lyon himself not wanting to delegate and trust them with decision making...
I have problem with Neil Craig being in the box and I have doubts on his abilities to provide Bolton with any substantial advice given he is the next senior member of the coaching team...
Had to laugh when I heard he had been working with Kristian Jaksch, as I have said previously that told me plenty about Jaksch's indifferent form...you look at Chris Judd who has been mentoring
Zac Merrett....Judd's a winner..I'll let you draw your own conclusions on Craigs career...

Reply #106
@EB1

I'm no particular fan of Craig EB, but seriously, could anyone mentor KJ? He wasn't exactly setting the world on fire before Craig arrived and as I've said before, SoS would know plenty about him from his GWS days.

I guess the secret of being a good mentor is to carefully choose who you are going to mentor. Juddy's no mug! Merrett is an excellent talent.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #107
@EB1

I'm no particular fan of Craig EB, but seriously, could anyone mentor KJ? He wasn't exactly setting the world on fire before Craig arrived and as I've said before, SoS would know plenty about him from his GWS days.

I guess the secret of being a good mentor is to carefully choose who you are going to mentor. Juddy's no mug! Merrett is an excellent talent.

Was thinking much the same. You look like a good tutor by hand picking good students.

Would Judd do any better with KJ ?

Reply #108
Was thinking much the same. You look like a good tutor by hand picking good students.

Would Judd do any better with KJ ?

Craig couldnt make a footballer out of Taylpr Walker from the Crows either, well actually he unmade a footballer out of  a very talented player...decided he needed remedial work in the SANFL......for a season....?? :o

I watched Jaksch tear Lachie Henderson a new one when he played CHB for GWS so I know he can play.....I'd fly Glen Jakovich over every week to work with KJ
and let Craig stick to organising the gatorade's or something simple...

Reply #109
@EB1

He was 19 when he arrived at Carlton though. Don't know much about this year as he's performed well in the VFL, kicked goals and played well in defence, so certainly not struggling, but barely played in the seniors. Can't really judged him until we see an extended run in the seniors.

Reply #110
Craig couldnt make a footballer out of Taylpr Walker from the Crows either, well actually he unmade a footballer out of  a very talented player...decided he needed remedial work in the SANFL......for a season....?? :o

I watched Jaksch tear Lachie Henderson a new one when he played CHB for GWS so I know he can play.....I'd fly Glen Jakovich over every week to work with KJ
and let Craig stick to organising the gatorade's or something simple...

Does that say more about Jaksch or Hendo, in hindsight......? :(

I hold no hope for Jaksch, people wail on Jones and rightly so, if they go to the VFL and watch Jaksch they will see four quarters of a poor mans Jones! I hope he proves me wrong!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #111
http://www.carltonfc.com.au/news/2016-08-15/top-5-stats-round-21

One interesting one from this weeks best was this one
David Cuningham
Team-high 22 pressure acts

Debutant David Cuningham may have only had seven disposals, but impressed with what he did without the footy. The 19-year-old set the standard in the pressure stakes, recording eight tackles and a team-high 22 pressure acts.

Reply #112
One interesting one from this weeks best was this one

I thought the kid did OK in a first day out.

Especially given the Lions midfield was Zorko, Rockliff and Robinson it's not like he was up against light bodies around stoppages and he never took a backwards step!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #113
He was 19 when he arrived at Carlton though. Don't know much about this year as he's performed well in the VFL, kicked goals and played well in defence, so certainly not struggling, but barely played in the seniors. Can't really judged him until we see an extended run in the seniors.

The big question though Jim is will he ever get an extended run in the seniors? - he certainly doesn't look like it atm. I expected a much greater impact by him this year tbh and blaming Craig for that is drawing on the long bow IMO.

Reply #114

Especially given the Lions midfield was Zorko, Rockliff and Robinson it's not like he was up against light bodies around stoppages and he never took a backwards step!

I noticed him more as the game went on and began to feel positive about him. Hopefully he will play against the Dees.

Reply #115
The big question though Jim is will he ever get an extended run in the seniors? - he certainly doesn't look like it atm. I expected a much greater impact by him this year tbh and blaming Craig for that is drawing on the long bow IMO.

They didn't give him a run despite good VFL form. Can only perform who he's thrown against and did that well. They gave him one week in  the seniors and told him to hold up the entire forward line as our only key forward. Would do his confidence no end of good...not! Not sure what out staff were thinking. Bet he was relieved to go to defence during the 3rd qtr where he was much better. Then they drop him a week later. Team selection certainly wasn't a strength this year.

Reply #116
They didn't give him a run despite good VFL form.

Interested to hear from others who have witnessed KJ first hand with the NBs because I can't recall a heap of 'good form'. I can recall seeing plenty single efforts with no follow up, the occasional 'Joe the Goose' a couple of uncontested marks when shifted down back to play the intercept roll and one or two long bombs. But not many 'good games'. Stats sheets don't always tell the true story. 

Reply #117

Agree. Was glad to see him play a disciplined game and be strong at the contest. Instilling good habits from the get-go. Hopefully he remains in the seniors for the remainder of the season ...and McKay gets a game too.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #118

I really did hope KJ would progress. But he really hasn't for whatever reason.

He had a chance with that senior game and I know some believe he should have been given more games to prove himself but in that one game he stood out as not having a clue. BB comes from a place where blokes who come into the side, regardless, just seem to slot straight into doing what is expected... KJ didn't. Although he was dropped after one game, and this may have seemed ruthless, isn't that what we want? Ruthlessness. Do your job or FO.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #119
Agree on re-signing Casboult...worth more to us than on the open market and everyone on this forum knows he plays better  and is more effective with another KP forward taking some heat off him...even an average one like Liam Jones... why he hasnt been playing remains a mystery to me...he does try, and both him and the Boult seem to work together ok..if Jones had kicked straight vs the Lion we might have won...
3 year deal seems reasonable given the market and the lack of forwards.....I'd be after Stewart from GWS but more to replace Jones ....

I might be wrong but think this is the first time I've seen someone mention Stewart from GWS. If he doesn't come up on the radar for SOS I'd be amazed. Can mark and kick. Can't get a game currently. Wouldn't cost overs. Ticks many boxes for mine.
Pls kick straight Harry