Skip to main content
Topic: 2018 Rd 5: Pre-Game Pessimism: Carlton vs West Coast (Read 19287 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2018 Rd 5: Pre-Game Pessimism: Carlton vs West Coast

Reply #105
I'd love nothing better than for McGovern or Naitanui to float into McKay's space and for the kid to turn them into a tackle bag / step ladder!

Something I haven't seen at Carlton since Fev pulled the pin!

I want some smart-ar5e Wet Toaster to get in McKay's face, and then I want McKay to Ragdoll the Toaster like the smart-ar5e is made of straw! I want McKay to show he's ready to go head to head with men!

Then I want him to inspire his team-mates to stand up and be counted!

I want McKay to put his Sticks Fevolution suit on and go out there and turn some Wet Toast flog into a ping pong ball, give us a reason to go to the footy again!

Let me leave the ground thinking I've watched some footy, not an U7s Girls Competitive Macramé practice match! I took the Girls reference out because some of those U7 Girls can be brutal, it's like they are tuning up for a gig on MKR!

Other than that, not much at all! ;D
The Force Awakens!

Reply #106
Now that McKay is in, what would we consider a pass make for him, come 7:10 tomorrow evening????

Effort. It's a bit much expecting him to come in stone cold and turn it on.

Reply #107
Now that McKay is in, what would we consider a pass make for him, come 7:10 tomorrow evening????

The main  thing for him  is to give 100% for every second he is on the ground.

As deags said . . . . effort.
I spent most of my money on Women and grog.
The rest I just wasted.

Reply #108
Agree Lods. The MC are human, and will stuff it up from time to time. But surely not week after week after week ? I'm sure they know enough about football to see what we see, plus a whole lot more.

I'm not so sure they do Paul, we are on the bottom for a reason and if they were employed in any other business field they would be unemployed now based on results....
IMO Mckay's promotion to the seniors had more to do with dealing with media pressure due to poor results than any great form in the NB's and Cuninghams demotion rates alongside Polson's promotion to the senior team a couple of weeks ago as mystifying at best...

Reply #109
Just watched BBs media conference, I know some might not agree but I reckon the bloke is a class act considering where we find ourselves... loved his gags about cliches, and why we relented and are playing H.

What else can he say other than what he said??!! The bloke is having to be the face for mass list turnover, unreasonable numbers of injured blokes, too many inexperienced blokes taking the field through necessity, flop recruits from other clubs and a marketing dept. Phew.

I think I feel better about the whole shemozzle we presently find ourselves in because I've dropped all expectation for 2018. Now all I want to see is effort. Fair dinkum pressure. Blooding, gradually, kids. Further improvement in recruits of the previous 2 years. And some anti-social ruthlessness which we showed in BBs first 2 years.

And Judge, McKay, SOS... about time you blokes took some of the heat as well rather than leaving it all to the coach and Juddy. How about you 3 showing some ticker and start speaking up (with conviction) re our situation and demonstrating some ridgy didge support for the senior coach/players. No time for wimps skulking around in the shadows... never was a strong, united and forceful message more needed than right fkn now from you three. So get off your flabby @rses and let the football world know how 'Bound By Blue' the club is, DEMONSTRATE it by confronting the media yourselves ...at least we'll then know that 'BBB' is more than a glib marketing slogan.

Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #110
McKay’s selection isn’t that strange given the circumstances... any tall bloke with a pulse would be considered this week.

Reply #111
I'm not so sure they do Paul, we are on the bottom for a reason and if they were employed in any other business field they would be unemployed now based on results....
IMO Mckay's promotion to the seniors had more to do with dealing with media pressure due to poor results than any great form in the NB's and Cuninghams demotion rates alongside Polson's promotion to the senior team a couple of weeks ago as mystifying at best...

I've been a bit critical of how we're 'playing' this rebuild but if we're choosing teams based on media pressure we are well and truly stuffed.
Has there been a lot of media pressure for McKay to come in though?
Fans are probably split about 50/50 as to whether or not he should be played.... or really have to perform to earn a spot.

Reply #112

Bolton and SOS may well turn out to be spuds, but it's far too early to tell IMO. I think the points Bolton makes about kids with few games at AFL level, and also few games together, have merit. I also think his points about the extensive list changes creating unrest and a "Foreign Legion" type atmosphere also have merit. I will wait until we have some stability and kids with games under their belt before I make judgment.

I think about it in terms of someone who's had major surgery (a lot like our list). People come and look at the guy when he's all bandaged up, doped up on painkillers and in traction, and these people think the surgeon is crap because the guy looks awful, and looks worse than he did before surgery - without appreciating there's a stabilization and recuperation period ahead. IMO, we are now in that post operative, bandaged up phase.

At least that's what I'm hoping.

Reply #113
A damn good article on Fox Sports website this morning by Dunstall and Brereton comparing our rebuild to Hawthorns 2005 situation. Also Geelongs situation before they won their flag under bommer Thompson.

They both reckon we are on the right track and must keep goimg and it will all gel  in another year or so.

2020 we'll be playing finals if we get the next 2 recruiting periods right I reckon.
Major changes to coaching and recruiting staff now and we are another 5-10 years away.

Stick fat. We're on the way.
I spent most of my money on Women and grog.
The rest I just wasted.

Reply #114
I've been a bit critical of how we're 'playing' this rebuild but if we're choosing teams based on media pressure we are well and truly stuffed.
Has there been a lot of media pressure for McKay to come in though?
Fans are probably split about 50/50 as to whether or not he should be played.... or really have to perform to earn a spot.

A simple question then if its not media pressure and not due to any great form in the NB's given our NB's watchers didn rate his game then why is he in the team??
Its a question Bolton gets asked about Harry every week after a loss, hows Harry Mckay going?...BB..he will play when he is ready

Reply #115
A simple question then if its not media pressure and not due to any great form in the NB's given our NB's watchers didn rate his game then why is he in the team??
Its a question Bolton gets asked about Harry every week after a loss, hows Harry Mckay going?...BB..he will play when he is ready

My theory...
Kreuzer out means he needs to be replaced by two for a break even...Phillips and McKay.
If Kreuzer plays Harry doesn't.
I'll repeat...if we're being pressured by media and supporters to select players we may as well give it up.
That is totally unacceptable!
I can't believe that...or I'm screwed! >:( :(

Reply #116
All i want for Harry is for him to hold his head up high all game.

I don't give a stuff if he gets donuts, as long as he doesn't drop his head and sook, he'll be better for it.

Reply #117

Might've been promoted to "take" Charlie's place as a key forward as we may put the latter in the midfield alot more give what we have lost.

Reply #118
A damn good article on Fox Sports website this morning by Dunstall and Brereton comparing our rebuild to Hawthorns 2005 situation. Also Geelongs situation before they won their flag under bommer Thompson.

They both reckon we are on the right track and must keep goimg and it will all gel  in another year or so.

2020 we'll be playing finals if we get the next 2 recruiting periods right I reckon.
Major changes to coaching and recruiting staff now and we are another 5-10 years away.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/dermott-brereton-and-jason-dunstall-say-carlton-fans-must-be-patient-with-their-young-team/news-story/7b1b9a875c81dc258afd957b7b55cfe8

Reply #119

Hear hear. Might get a little darker before the dawn, but the sun will come up IF we stay the course.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17