Skip to main content

Poll

How will Carlton react to recent results?

The Quick Fix, it's back to the bad old ways!
[ 1 ] (2.1%)
Nothing, they have no idea what to do!
[ 5 ] (10.4%)
They'll stick fat, and stay on course!
[ 42 ] (87.5%)

Total Members Voted: 46

Topic: The Quick Fix (Read 17678 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: The Quick Fix

Reply #75
I wouldn't be giving up on H just yet, let's see how he goes with a consistent run of training and playing.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #76
No one wants to see Harry make the grade more than I do believe me, it's just that I've heard the big blokes take longer line plenty of times over the years and it's usually just a wish and a hope, Hampson and De Luca come to mind but it's been said about other duds we've had around the place.
I'd be happy enough if he could just get a game, but it's a worry that he can't force his way into such a poorly performed side and it's not as if he's injured.
All I'm saying is that he needs to shape up otherwise we'd be better off cutting our losses while he might still have some trade value, in the position we find ourselves there's no room for wishful thinking.

Its a point worth highlighting.

We have a history of hanging onto blokes expecting...hoping...praying....they come on and end up getting nothing for them. Either out on the field or at the trade table.
Adam Hartlett is the perfect example. How many years was he on our list? How many games did he play? Were any of them good??

For those playing at home...
5 years
11 games
None of them good.

Reply #77
Cant believe he played that many, I guessed four.

DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #79
It’s obviously a no to trading Harry McKay - in fact it’s absolute madness.

We’ll get lowballed now, so there’s no harm in waiting to see whether he develops. Worst outcome is that we get lowballed in the future.

Reply #80
Never played more than 4 in any given year.

2007 - 2009, 4, 4 and 3 (in the year we lost Whitnall and JK)

I can't believe we didn't play him more.  He wasn't that bad and could kick it like a mule.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #81
It’s obviously a no to trading Harry McKay - in fact it’s absolute madness.

We’ll get lowballed now, so there’s no harm in waiting to see whether he develops. Worst outcome is that we get lowballed in the future.

The problem with that is that it's a no to trading anyone of any value according to most Carlton supporters, so how can we expect to trade anyone in who's half way decent.
Half of our list isn't AFL standard so there's no point hawking any of them around, so we just keep on trading in hacks and rejects in exchange for low draft picks and the sorry mess continues.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #82
The problem with that is that it's a no to trading anyone of any value according to most Carlton supporters, so how can we expect to trade anyone in who's half way decent.
Half of our list isn't AFL standard so there's no point hawking any of them around, so we just keep on trading in hacks and rejects in exchange for low draft picks and the sorry mess continues.

Who do you want to trade him for?

Who’s going to replace him?

Reply #83
Who do you want to trade him for?

Who’s going to replace him?

I don't want to trade him unless we get to the end of this season and he's still showing four fifths of not much.
At that point his value would be limited but at the end of 2019 it would be zero, so we could at least salvage something.
Footscray traded Griffin, their captain, for Boyd, and some years ago North traded their captain for Shannon Grant, you have to give something to get something.
Unless we want to keep trading in the likes of Sumner, Smedts and Wiley, which has worked out well.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #84
I don't want to trade him unless we get to the end of this season and he's still showing four fifths of not much.
At that point his value would be limited but at the end of 2019 it would be zero, so we could at least salvage something.
Footscray traded Griffin, their captain, for Boyd, and some years ago North traded their captain for Shannon Grant, you have to give something to get something.
Unless we want to keep trading in the likes of Sumner, Smedts and Wiley, which has worked out well.

B4L if Harry has not shown anything by the end of the year I suspect his trade value would be close to zero anyway without the need to provide a further year's demonstration. There would always be a risk though that some sharp-eyed list manager saw something in him that a club thought could be developed. I can't see that translating into anything of real value for us though.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #87

I get the limited value if we wait ‘too long’.

I’m concerned that being played in the twos is doing him no favours and given how bad our delivery to forwards is in the seniors, I can only imagine how bad it is in the twos.

I’d be hanging on to him. His value to us will by far exceed his value to another team (unless he proves himself in which case why would trade him)

Reply #88
B4L if Harry has not shown anything by the end of the year I suspect his trade value would be close to zero anyway without the need to provide a further year's demonstration. There would always be a risk though that some sharp-eyed list manager saw something in him that a club thought could be developed. I can't see that translating into anything of real value for us though.

Dane Swan and Corey Enright were 4th round picks, in football parlance that's close to zero but just because we haven't jagged a good player low in the draft since Ryan Houlihan it doesn't mean that we can't in the future.
I think that Williamson was pick 60 odd and he looks OK.
It would be better than what we usually get, which is nothing.
Let's not forget that Richmond gave us pick 30 odd for Hampson, which is near enough to what we paid for Docherty, and no matter how bad McKay proves to be he can't be a worse footballer than Hammer.

Reply #89
Dane Swan and Corey Enright were 4th round picks, in football parlance that's close to zero but just because we haven't jagged a good player low in the draft since Ryan Houlihan it doesn't mean that we can't in the future.
I think that Williamson was pick 60 odd and he looks OK.
It would be better than what we usually get, which is nothing.
Let's not forget that Richmond gave us pick 30 odd for Hampson, which is near enough to what we paid for Docherty, and no matter how bad McKay proves to be he can't be a worse footballer than Hammer.

Well I guess it's roll of the dice whichever way we decide to go. If we try to unload him this year then hopefully we would have someone very specific and relevant in mind to fill his spot. I'll give him a few more weeks to impress before placing my bet.
Reality always wins in the end.