Skip to main content
Topic: 2018 Rd 5: Post Game Passion: Carlton vs West Coast (Read 24723 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2018 Rd 5: Post Game Passion: Carlton vs West Coast

Reply #135
I'm not sure he was "sooking it up" with that tweet, it came across to me as more of a self depreciating comment....ie, he knew in himself that he hadn't performed to the standard of the other blokes.

Anyway, whatever he was thinking at the time, I really hope that he now has some confidence to start building on his game & refuse to give up his spot for anyone. 

Good luck to him.

cheers

That’s the way I see it!

I watched Harry’s post game interview and he impressed me as a team-orientated young man determined to improve and with a very realistic appreciation of where he’s at now.  I think that kicking four goals will boost his self-belief but he is also well aware of the errors he made and the need to work on eliminating them from his game.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #136
I'm not sure he was "sooking it up" with that tweet, it came across to me as more of a self depreciating comment....ie, he knew in himself that he hadn't performed to the standard of the other blokes.

Anyway, whatever he was thinking at the time, I really hope that he now has some confidence to start building on his game & refuse to give up his spot for anyone. 

Good luck to him.

cheers

Great point Malo ...

My interpretation was definately not even close to sooking up he was absolutely taking the p...s out
of himself.  Something he does quite regularly.

Long time lurker few time poster !!

Reply #137
Cripps only had something like 34 possies but it was one of the most influential games I have seen from an individual.  From memory he had a hand in all but 2 of our goals. Several times he single handedly turned a threatening WCE move to our advantage through pressure/tackle/bump/intercept, and he was often involved in the immediate follow up play, and sometimes involved again for a third time.

The goal in the last when Simmo kicked to Crippa who quickly passed it on towards the AFL members wing (can't remember who) where it ended with a spearing pass to Casboult in the qoalsquare is the way we need to play more often. Obviously can't pull it off every time but I'd certainly be happy to see at least one coast-to-coast goal every match.

Feel like I have to be a bit of a wet blanket and point out how useless the Weagles are at the MCG. Looked more lost out there than Burke & Wills.  They might improve a little now that the new Perth ground is the same dimensions as the MCG but I can't see them going far in September.

Also really disappointed in SPS thus far this season, he was so mercurial when he debuted. Second year blues perhaps?

Finally, as a counterpoint to Cripps, I have to mention Simmo.  I need a rover who won't drive me crazy. Has there ever been a player whose amazing guts, work rate, and determination has been the total polar opposite of his effectiveness and ability to capitalise on said hard earned possessions?  Maddening.

Great post. Agree with all points. Cripps looked as determined as I have ever seen him. Even looked quicker spreading a few times from the contest!

Simmo is simply a warrior who everyone respects - doesn't know how to not give 110% effort.

On SPS i have been disappointed in him so far this year. I'm not expecting him to dominate a game but at times his work rate looks below par.

He's a great talent no doubt, but as he seems like a player who wont get it as often as the big midfield ball winners so he needs to work very hard defensively as a result. Should try and model many aspects of his game on how Cyril Rioli does it. Might only get a dozen or so touches but makes something out of nothing so often and does so many 1 percenters that result in scores his touches are very damaging. 

Reply #138
Great point Malo ...

My interpretation was definately not even close to sooking up he was absolutely taking the p...s out
of himself.  Something he does quite regularly.

I have no idea how often he takes the piss out of himself, however some in this place occasionally notice that there’s 3 instead of the usual 7 tea leaves floating in their morning beverage and couple that insight with the fact that the starling’s seem to be nesting later this year and that SPS seems to have stalled in his development... some just can’t see the woods for the trees... ????
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #139
Harry made an excellent entrance. Let's hope he can continue playing and improving in his role. Go young Harry!

After two false starts! ;)

We cannot seriously judge this kid until he's got 50+ games under his belt, that will take him at least into his 5th seasons on current averages.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #140
I have no idea how often he takes the piss out of himself, however some in this place occasionally notice that there’s 3 instead of the usual 7 tea leaves floating in their morning beverage and couple that insight with the fact that the starling’s seem to be nesting later this year and that SPS seems to have stalled in his development... some just can’t see the woods for the trees... ????

Players stall, it's normal for 2nd year blues to apply. But the worry with some is that it appears their work rate drops off with their success.

You look at SoJ and Weitering, good or bad form, they keep busting their ar5e on field and it's inevitable that they will get back to their best as is the case with any form related issue. For those guys it is more about a synchronisation issue.

The bigger worry for some observers are those players who seem to switch off when their form slides. They are the guys who can be great when they are good, but bloody awful at other times! They can appear like they want it delivered on a platter or they'll take their ball and go home!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #141
After two false starts! ;)

We cannot seriously judge this kid until he's got 50+ games under his belt, that will take him at least into his 5th seasons on current averages.

Maybe he did stumble a little at first for various reasons but I prefer not to fixate on past negatives and look forward to him fulfilling his potential which would deliver huge benefits for us. He needs to look forward not backwards.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #142
Maybe he did stumble a little at first for various reasons but I prefer not to fixate on past negatives and look forward to him fulfilling his potential which would deliver huge benefits for us. He needs to look forward not backwards.

Learning comes from the past, performance is always in the future!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #143
Learning comes from the past, performance is always in the future!

Big difference between learning and moving on and being continually niggled about it and not being allowed to forget past issues. Constant reminders of past mistakes is an excellent method of ruining the future - and very old school.

Reply #144
Big difference between learning and moving on and being continually niggled about it and not being allowed to forget past issues. Constant reminders of past mistakes is an excellent method of ruining the future - and very old school.

"10 Second Tom" is doomed to make the same mistake over and over again, that is caused by forgetting!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #145
"10 Second Tom" is doomed to make the same mistake over and over again, that is caused by forgetting!

No one will  be allowed to forget with you around.. ;)

Reply #146
No one will  be allowed to forget with you around.. ;)

Actually, I'm an advocate for forgiving but not forgetting. Not forgiving or forgetting puts you in the MM camp of hanging players for simple one-off mistakes!

The question then becomes one of balance, how often should you forgive a repeat offender?

If you decide to forgive eternally, when do you become a fool?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #147
Actually, I'm an advocate for forgiving but not forgetting. Not forgiving or forgetting puts you in the MM camp of hanging players for simple one-off mistakes!

The question then becomes one of balance, how often should you forgive a repeat offender?

If you decide to forgive eternally, when do you become a fool?

Forgiving, if indeed that is the right word, is not continually reminding people of their "mistakes" but offering advice as to how they might improve and what the club expects from them. If they can't get up to the desired standard then you eventually say goodbye to them. I guess the equation then becomes one of observing their rate of improvement v. their estimated eventual value plus other considerations such as other options available etc. I'm sure that would be BB's approach, or something similar - not to keep them on the rack of regular recrimination. Didn't we sack a coach who favoured that approach?

Interesting that you see young players trying to learn but making mistakes as "offenders".  :o

Reply #148
Forgiving, if indeed that is the right word, is not continually reminding people of their "mistakes" but offering advice as to how they might improve and what the club expects from them. If they can't get up to the desired standard then you eventually say goodbye to them. I guess the equation then becomes one of observing their rate of improvement v. their estimated eventual value plus other considerations such as other options available etc. I'm sure that would be BB's approach, or something similar - not to keep them on the rack of regular recrimination. Didn't we sack a coach who favoured that approach?

Interesting that you see young players trying to learn but making mistakes as "offenders".  :o

I suppose I have been too broad in that it's reasonable to qualifying this debate in terms of youth only given the McKay discussion, but youth only was never my focus!

Regardless, by the time he gets 50 games he won't be qualified as youth anymore!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #149
I think that's the main thing, 4 goals makes it seem like a great game but I was there and he was pretty average. But he needs anything he can get to build some confidence and momentum in his game. I think we nailed it with Dow, looks really solid every week he is going to be a gun for us. Quitely impressed with O'Brien also think he has something.

I know I will probably catch a lot of criticism, but I agree.
I said prior to the game that for a pass from me he would need to work hard, lead, make second leads and work defensively.
Once again, our forwards were lazy. There is simply no work from them .
Jack is the only one that consistently leads and his effort in defence is second to none (even though he has difficulty making his tackles stick)
There were numerous times we had a mark 60-70m out from goal, the wide angle shot of the forward 50 comes up on screen and theres Jack running on a lead, and Casboult and McKay standing close to the goal square making no effort whatsoever. The ball is bombed in to a 5 on 10 situation, and there goes our forward 50 entry. Not good enough.
Well done to McKay kicking 4. He kicked very straight, and the banana was a spectacular looking kick.
I just think we need more effort from our forwards.