Skip to main content
Topic: 2018 Rd 5: Post Game Passion: Carlton vs West Coast (Read 24726 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2018 Rd 5: Post Game Passion: Carlton vs West Coast

Reply #150
I know I will probably catch a lot of criticism, but I agree.
I said prior to the game that for a pass from me he would need to work hard, lead, make second leads and work defensively.
Once again, our forwards were lazy. There is simply no work from them .
Jack is the only one that consistently leads and his effort in defence is second to none (even though he has difficulty making his tackles stick)
There were numerous times we had a mark 60-70m out from goal, the wide angle shot of the forward 50 comes up on screen and theres Jack running on a lead, and Casboult and McKay standing close to the goal square making no effort whatsoever. The ball is bombed in to a 5 on 10 situation, and there goes our forward 50 entry. Not good enough.
Well done to McKay kicking 4. He kicked very straight, and the banana was a spectacular looking kick.
I just think we need more effort from our forwards.

Deags, it's amazing how much forgiveness a few goals will generate.

Your post is about the big picture, the forest, and I agree. I'm not going to distracted by the shrubs in the foreground!

But that McKay game is no different to what we saw or has been reported at VFL level. I'm greatful for the conversions, but in that regard he's selling water to those dying of thirst, we need someone who digs the well not just someone selling the end result of everybody else's labours. It's the difference between a short term patch and a long term fix, I get the feeling BB was pressured into a short-term fix for reasons other than football.

We've lacked a finisher for so long we are relieved, but that is not what we really need!

He's only a kid, he's got another 2 or 3 years to mature!

In the short term, I think we need a forward who does for our front half what Rowe did for the back half, to me Kerr is that player if he can make the step up to AFL. A structural player, not a decorative finisher.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #151
Dont get me wrong, I'm happy to finally have a big bloke in the side that can kick a ball through the middle 2 posts, but as we've both said many times, I want that bloke to workhis butt off to get the ball as well. It's the guy who works his butt off that will kick 50+ goals in a season, which is what you want from your go to guy.
Anyway, I guess we can just enjoy what McKay gives us and hope that by 50-75 games we are getting that effort from him.

Reply #152
Dont get me wrong, I'm happy to finally have a big bloke in the side that can kick a ball through the middle 2 posts, but as we've both said many times, I want that bloke to workhis butt off to get the ball as well. It's the guy who works his butt off that will kick 50+ goals in a season, which is what you want from your go to guy.
Anyway, I guess we can just enjoy what McKay gives us and hope that by 50-75 games we are getting that effort from him.

Yep, stay positive, we get to see more than a 200cm small forward in coming weeks and months.

I expect the Dogs to pester the hell out of him next Friday, it will be interesting to see how he responds! Fast dry surface should suit him though, he's very agile and also can be very good at ground level.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #153
I think that's the main thing, 4 goals makes it seem like a great game but I was there and he was pretty average. But he needs anything he can get to build some confidence and momentum in his game. I think we nailed it with Dow, looks really solid every week he is going to be a gun for us. Quitely impressed with O'Brien also think he has something.

I wasn't there but I had the advantage of watching the game on the TV - and that often gives a better overall perspective than what one gets from their seat on level 1 or 2.

Harry made a few blues, the out of bounds on the full when Casboult had a ten metre break was a turning point in the game.  However, for a young bloke in his third game and playing against an All Australian defender, four goals is a magnificent achievement.  Add to that his six marks and three inside 50s and that's a performance worthy of a seasoned campaigner.  Harry wasn't "pretty average", he was pretty damn good.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #154
I was actually quite surprised at how well H-Mac moved across the surface. Really damn quick and agile, and I must say although not receiving as much kudos as Cripps and H, A Phillips attacked the game, the ball and the player with such gusto that I was excited by his return and forgot Kreuzer was injured.

Really loved what Sauce brought to the table against a formidable duo in NicNat/Lycett.

Could we play Sauce and Kreuzer together? Kreuzer could be another mid around the stoppages and offer a bit of protection for Fish and Cripps. Fish and Cripps with Sauce and a side of Matty K sounds good

Reply #155
I was actually quite surprised at how well H-Mac moved across the surface. Really damn quick and agile, and I must say although not receiving as much kudos as Cripps and H, A Phillips attacked the game, the ball and the player with such gusto that I was excited by his return and forgot Kreuzer was injured.

Really loved what Sauce brought to the table against a formidable duo in NicNat/Lycett.

Could we play Sauce and Kreuzer together? Kreuzer could be another mid around the stoppages and offer a bit of protection for Fish and Cripps. Fish and Cripps with Sauce and a side of Matty K sounds good

I suggested similar in a different thread. I agree that it would be worth trying. In my opinion Kreuzer could handle the  role, resting forward.

Reply #156
The bigger issue is could we get away with playing Kreuzer, Phillips, Levi and Big H in the same team?

No.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #157
I dont see why not.
Most teams have at least 2 tall forwards and a ruck.
If Kreuz is playing as a midfielder, and rotating as such, why couldn't it work?
One of the 4 will pretty much always be on the bench. I know it wont happen, but I reckon it would be worth a try.

Reply #158
I dont see why not.
Most teams have at least 2 tall forwards and a ruck.
If Kreuz is playing as a midfielder, and rotating as such, why couldn't it work?
One of the 4 will pretty much always be on the bench. I know it wont happen, but I reckon it would be worth a try.

I've said this previously, you simply can't play him as a midfielder for a full game.

As a ruckman, he has midfielder like qualities.
As a midfielder, he is average.

You are better off playing Kerridge as a midfielder than Kreuzer.

Reply #159
I wasn't there but I had the advantage of watching the game on the TV - and that often gives a better overall perspective than what one gets from their seat on level 1 or 2.

Harry made a few blues, the out of bounds on the full when Casboult had a ten metre break was a turning point in the game.  However, for a young bloke in his third game and playing against an All Australian defender, four goals is a magnificent achievement.  Add to that his six marks and three inside 50s and that's a performance worthy of a seasoned campaigner.  Harry wasn't "pretty average", he was pretty damn good.
TV gives a different perspective, but not a better one. What TV won't show you is what players do when they don't have the ball in hand, which even for ball magnets is >95% of the game. Team play is what they do or don't do when they don't have the ball, and this is key to judging how well a player plays, and how well a team plays

Reply #160
What you get from tv also is the commentary and analysis. OK, some of it may be ordinary but by the same token some of it is quite useful in understanding the ebb and flow of games and the impact of individual players and the roles they may be playing.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #161
If I'm forced to watch games on tv I usually hit mute, I think 99% of what they say is total crap

Reply #162
If I'm forced to watch games on tv I usually hit mute, I think 99% of what they say is total crap

Thank you for your insights.  :)
 Interestingly though, how do you know that such a high proportion of what they say is crap if you don't listen to it?

Reply #163
Because I usually start with the sound on, then turn it off when I get sick of it (usually about half way through the first quarter)

Reply #164
Because I usually start with the sound on, then turn it off when I get sick of it (usually about half way through the first quarter)

Right.