Skip to main content
Topic: 2018 Rd 5: Post Game Passion: Carlton vs West Coast (Read 24822 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2018 Rd 5: Post Game Passion: Carlton vs West Coast

Reply #60
I agree Cripps should be captain. Murphy just isn't a captain.

Phillips was really good yesterday and hopefully we leave MK out until he's 100% fit.

Kerridge was surprisingly good. Way better than Graham the week before.

Plowman had probably his worst game for the club as did SPS who looks down on fitness. Between those 2 they almost lost the game for us.

Harry cost us a couple of easy goals early but after that was really good off not a lot of service. This game takes so much pressure off him and the selectors who can now justify leaving him in the team for an extended run... massive.

Fisher was my highlight though. This was his best game for the club. Love watching - 20kg kid who's just too smart for his opponents. Another great pick at #25.

We desperately need Marchbank, Doc, ASOS, Williamson, Byrne back. The backline as a unit is non existent because we have to make 2 changes every week... and make do with guys who are out of form or rushed back like Rowe.

Reply #61
Plowman has been average all year IMO, looks disinterested at times......Alex Silvagni gives us some grunt but is at the end of his career, as is Rowe but we look better when they are playing and giving guidance.
Rowe was good today and freed Jones up from the stress of JK but thats a short term strategy, dare I say that Weitering out also made us look more composed down back....bad enough with Plowman out of  form, and  OShea kicking the ball straight back to the opposition, but if we added Weitering to the mix we might have lost by a lot more.
Thomas has added some experience down back and Mullet wasnt anything special but I didnt notice him stuffing up as much in the past and he did hit a few targets...
One of the big negatives of this year has been Plowman's lack of form. Last year he was very good and deserved his spot in the top 10. This year he has struggled for form, and his opponents have managed some cheap goals as a result.
I'd like to be able to give him time in the VFL. but his replacements are not fit. Otherwise they would be playing instead of O'Shea and Mullett.
When Plowman regains his form he will be integral to our defence, as he can take so many different types of opponent. He did tight roles on a lot of dangerous players last year and did them effectively. We really miss that at the moment.
He is working hard, but he is making mistakes and hasn't got his touch, otherwise he wouldn't have dropped marks he would usually swallow.

Of his potential replacements, Williamson is still a few weeks off and needs to some in the VFL to get his touch, not having played this year as yet. Byrne has his quad injury. Then he needs time to regain his touch and awareness, something he was missing early this season. McReadie: not sure where he is at just at the moment. He has the tools, but he needs work.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #62
One of the big negatives of this year has been Plowman's lack of form. Last year he was very good and deserved his spot in the top 10. This year he has struggled for form, and his opponents have managed some cheap goals as a result.
I'd like to be able to give him time in the VFL. but his replacements are not fit. Otherwise they would be playing instead of O'Shea and Mullett.
When Plowman regains his form he will be integral to our defence, as he can take so many different types of opponent. He did tight roles on a lot of dangerous players last year and did them effectively. We really miss that at the moment.
He is working hard, but he is making mistakes and hasn't got his touch, otherwise he wouldn't have dropped marks he would usually swallow.

Of his potential replacements, Williamson is still a few weeks off and needs to some in the VFL to get his touch, not having played this year as yet. Byrne has his quad injury. Then he needs time to regain his touch and awareness, something he was missing early this season. McReadie: not sure where he is at just at the moment. He has the tools, but he needs work.

I reckon he's been asked to fill Docs shoes somewhat and that is no easy task.

Reckon he'll automatically 'get better' once Doc is in the team.

Reply #63

O'Shea looked flaky under the high ball yesterday, that made the whole defence nervous and jumpy on the repeat entries Wet Toast generated, if Weitering had been in as the other intercept marking player Plowman and the others would have been more sure of themselves.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #64

I'm inclined to agree. Whether he has been told, or whether he is taking it one himself, he is trying to be more than he ca handle at the moment. Having Docherty back in the team allows him more freedom of action, not to mention gives him confidence.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #65
Might have been premature to appoint Cripps over Murphy as captain in 2018.  Certainly not next year though,  With Marc sidelined for what appears to be a long period, let Pat takeover now and see what he does

Reply #66
I'm reasonably happy with that, McKay looked like an AFL footballer and I put Paddy Dow in my votes, 7 clearances was one short of Cripps and second highest in the game.
Not bad for a kid in his fifth game, a couple of green shoots at last!
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #67
I'm inclined to agree. Whether he has been told, or whether he is taking it one himself, he is trying to be more than he ca handle at the moment. Having Docherty back in the team allows him more freedom of action, not to mention gives him confidence.

Agree I think they are missing Doch back there more than we thought, everyone is now being asked to help each other and they are realising how much Doch covered them. Hopefully its a blessing in disguise so when he comes back they are all better for the experience and we are better as a unit back there.

Reply #68
I'm reasonably happy with that, McKay looked like an AFL footballer and I put Paddy Dow in my votes, 7 clearances was one short of Cripps and second highest in the game.
Not bad for a kid in his fifth game, a couple of green shoots at last!

I think that's the main thing, 4 goals makes it seem like a great game but I was there and he was pretty average. But he needs anything he can get to build some confidence and momentum in his game. I think we nailed it with Dow, looks really solid every week he is going to be a gun for us. Quitely impressed with O'Brien also think he has something.

Reply #69
Agree I think they are missing Doch back there more than we thought, everyone is now being asked to help each other and they are realising how much Doch covered them. Hopefully its a blessing in disguise so when he comes back they are all better for the experience and we are better as a unit back there.

Correct. While we are not a contender, I think that forcing the young guys to think more about different facets of the game is not a bad thing. Also, Kerridge is an important part of the current midfield. Just turn away when he goes to kick, but watch carefully when the heat is on.

Reply #70
I think that's the main thing, 4 goals makes it seem like a great game but I was there and he was pretty average. But he needs anything he can get to build some confidence and momentum in his game. ..................

I'm always interested in hearing from folks who attend the game, so I'm curious to know why you thought his game was average ?

Reply #71
Cam O'Shea had 10 possessions - 8 of them clangers. I don't know if a player in double figures for disposals has ever had a 80% clanger rate before or will again. That is remarkable. I can't see how we can keep him in the team based on that alone. Experienced player too.

Reply #72
"A glimpse into the future," BB said, along with others. Couldn't agree more.

(Also, so pleased to see us playing our hard defensive game again. With better talent carrying out this game plan the goals will come by evolution, rather than trying to force this group to score more and play a more attractive brand of footy -- FO AFL, our gals were instructed to be less defensive and it fkd them for their season (plus some behind the scenes bullshizen). We should play OUR game on Thursday/Friday nights, fck the critics (and every other time, too, of course).

And our future looks bright. Of the younger blokes, loved: ZF - what a bloody little ripper he is, Cripps - LEADER, H (yes, my hand is up as one of those who was wrong re wanting to see more from him in the magoos), Paddy Wow, O'Brien (another beauty here) and of course, Charles of Curnow.

Of the older blokes, loved the games of: Simpson, Rowe (welcome back big fella, really gave our backline stability, leadership and some much needed mongrel), Jones, Phillips (great job) and Thomas.

A lot of good, serviceable games from other blokes except, Garlett & O'shea & perhaps Lamb. Mullett and Kerridge did their jobs.

And worried about SOJ, SPS and Plowman.

Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #73
I'm always interested in hearing from folks who attend the game, so I'm curious to know why you thought his game was average ?
Was at the game yesterday and am inclined to agree, Harry's 4 goal haul was impressive in that he took his chances and kicked beautifully. What was missing and will no doubt come is him providing a dominant presence crashing packs and demanding the ball. Not there yet but has natural ability, that banana kick for goal No 3 was sublime. His development this year will be fun to watch.
The Ox is slow but I'm running out of patience.

Reply #74
Cam O'Shea had 10 possessions - 8 of them clangers. I don't know if a player in double figures for disposals has ever had a 80% clanger rate before or will again. That is remarkable. I can't see how we can keep him in the team based on that alone. Experienced player too.

OShea got the boot from Port for poor disposal, looked like he had fixed that in the NB's but just goes to show the extra pressure of senior footy exposes those weak points of your game and I agree about his place in the team but I think with Marchbank out he will remain in the team...