Skip to main content
Topic: Australian Cricket - Crisis, What Crisis ?? (Read 547188 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Australian Cricket - Crisis, What Crisis ??

Reply #2070
I was in Delhi for game 5 (now in Chennai). Couldn't get tickets unfortunately but watched the game in a bar with a lot of very unhappy Indians. The papers here the next day had big reports about lots of fighting among fans leaving the ground, almost sounded like a riot. Betting that wasn't reported in Australia?

Reply #2071
I was in Delhi for game 5 (now in Chennai). Couldn't get tickets unfortunately but watched the game in a bar with a lot of very unhappy Indians. The papers here the next day had big reports about lots of fighting among fans leaving the ground, almost sounded like a riot. Betting that wasn't reported in Australia?

Nope but not surprising given how passionate they are about their cricket. To win a 5 game series in India from 2 games down is a huge achievement and even more so given where the team has come from in the last 12 months.
The Ox is slow but I'm running out of patience.

Reply #2072
They can't win the WC without Dhoni.  Problem is that there isn't a ground in India big enough for all those egos...
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #2073

I doubt any batting or bowling in India or Dubai will be very relevant to the UK or Wales.
[/quote]

Not sure about that - England now play 2 spinners (plus JERoot) at all times.... and their bats like the spinners.   Look for most of the wickets (aside from Headingly etc) to turn....

Reply #2074

I doubt any batting or bowling in India or Dubai will be very relevant to the UK or Wales.

Not sure about that - England now play 2 spinners (plus JERoot) at all times.... and their bats like the spinners.   Look for most of the wickets (aside from Headingly etc) to turn....

I think it's fair to question the relevance, the UK's worst pitch will look lush compared to most subcontinent tracks. The ball will last longer and stay in better condition throughout the innings, the bounce of the pitches is significantly different even if they turn square, and the UK curators won't throw out considerations for the likes of an Anderson just to make life easier for a Root!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #2075
Mankad or no mankad?

I don't see why the batsmen can be stumped but the non-striker is free to move off down the pitch with seemingly impunity!

Bowlers get no-balled for creeping a millimeter past the crease!

The media are focused on the specific mankad delivery, what about the other 40 or 50 deliveries Butler was the non-striker?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #2076
Mankad or no mankad?

I don't see why the batsmen can be stumped but the non-striker is free to move off down the pitch with seemingly impunity!

The media are focused on the specific mankad delivery, what about the other 40 or 50 deliveries Butler was the non-striker?

Seems to be a fair bit of outrage.
"not really cricket" apparently

but looking at it from an objective (non-cricket person) point  of view I see it as rather arrogant that you can set off before the ball is bowled.
Out every time if you get caught doing in baseball and don't get back.

It's like running around the man on the mark and getting upset because the umpire calls play on.

Reply #2077
They have a full-time video Ref in these comps now.

Change the International T20 / ODI rules to make it a short run if the non-striker leaves the crease before the ball is released, and it will stop overnight!

Otherwise for all other levels of the game I find the rule is fine.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #2078
Imagine if an Aussie did that.

Reply #2079
Mankad or no mankad?

The batsman is “cheating” by leaving his crease early and a run out in those circumstances shouldn’t result in an outcry.

Interestingly, apart from Warne, most former Australian Test cricketers think it is fine.  The “To and Froms” are outraged  :)
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #2080
Never understood the outrage over Mankad.
The line at one end of the pitch surely is just as important as the line at the other.
Warne is proving himself a complete flog once again and should not talk about spirit of the game as if he holds some moral high ground.
Drugs and gambling?

Reply #2081
You can't blame the players for playing to the rules. If there's a problem with the rules, then the Laws of the Game committee(s) need to sort it out. It's their job.

The furore over the Trevor Chappell underarm incident is the same. The amount that bloke has suffered is ridiculous for simply following orders and following the laws. What a crock.

Reply #2082
I'm not sure this should have been given out - without looking up the rule, I think it is along the lines of if the bowler has planted their front foot, the batsman can expect the bowler to bowl and is free to leave their crease.

Buttler hadn't left his crease at that time.

Certainly agree with the sentiment of batsman cheating by running early.

Reply #2083
Etiquette normally dictates that you give a warning first.

Personally I don't see how it can be out... The bowler has not bowled a legitimate delivery,  so basically it is a dead ball situation as the ball has not returned into play?

Reply #2084
Etiquette normally dictates that you give a warning first.

Personally I don't see how it can be out... The bowler has not bowled a legitimate delivery,  so basically it is a dead ball situation as the ball has not returned into play?

My understanding of the rule - and this comes from TV commentators discussing the rule after a similar dismissal many years ago - is that the ball has to leave the bowler’s hand before the bails can be removed, ie transfer the ball from right to left hand.  Don’t quote me on that  :)
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball