Skip to main content
Topic: Rd 5: Post Game Party!: Carlton vs. Fremantle (Read 54528 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Rd 5: Post Game Party!: Carlton vs. Fremantle

Reply #120
Yes Kruddler it was me :-[

I watched them play north last week and they pushed them hard for 3 quarters and off memory kicked a reasonable score. So facing a winless dockers outfit, playing on there turf I couldn't see us getting close.

I mean let's not forget they finished top last year while we took the spoon.

Anyhow I'm bloody rapt we took the points regardless of how ugly it was. Still a very good scalp IMO.
Indeed it was a good win. Now let's see if it can become addictive.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #121
Watched the game (you'll be pleased to know it was with lots of fellow baggers). Here's my 2 cents worth FWIW.

Standouts
- Daisy was dangerous up forward
- Byrne oozes confidence and self- belief, can run and carry, isn't scared of anything (blood rule x 3 in past 2 games)
- Murphy led by example, head over the ball, got belted up, and just kept running. Kicked a captain's goal
- Simmo was clean and his usual courageous and instructive
- Rowe, yes Rowe was a general. He instructed his defenders and beat the Pav repeatedly. If he could mark a few of the spoils, he'd give his forwards a headache
- Crippa is a champion who believes in his teammates (50:50 results - this will improve as the list improves)
- Weitering has so much time.... If you want to see him out of Mr Composed mode - win the game, his celebration was priceless - he couldn't stop grinning
- Ex-Crows add so much grunt to our game. 2-3rd efforts get the tick
- Lamb seemed to be everywhere, albeit at times without polish (I don't think we're a polished type side just yet)

Somewhere in between
The Jones boy - totally seemed to mis read play at times, meaning he'd be too pooped for 2nds. Liam Jones - take a bow son. When you needed to mark and slot it - you did just that. You've earned another game.

Serviceable
- Gibbs, although he missed a very gettable set shot, he linked nicely and kicked true when the heat was on. He needs to develop this consistently. Looked to be giving plenty of advice to young fellas
- Curnow's are unstoppable runners. I think Charlie's work off the ball, and even in defence ran his defender ragged.
- Buckley had a crack and looked to improve defensively
- GWS. The Plow played his role and showed a few tricks - he's going to be such an upgrade in our defense. Sumner's defensive pressure and energy impressed
- Casboult works really hard around the ground but still hasn't nailed his kicking. His contribution up field might be a worry for some teams
- Rucks tapped well but not much more
- Doc was courageous but uncharacteristically (or characteristic of the game) fumbly, especially early on
- 2e, not his best game

In all, can't fault the effort and perseverance. As we know, skills leave a lot to be desired, especially set shots. Several players missed gettable shots.
I saw some structure, leadership and teamwork as though the new plan is starting to stick.

Blue baggers we might not see many wins this year. So enjoy your celebrations.

Go Blues

Great report, thanks.

Reply #122
How good is it that regulars last year like Jamo, Everett, Armfield, Boakhorst and Walker were all out, but we still manage to win interstate and the above replacements looked ready and did enough to hold their spot.

Real deph is something we had very little of for a long time.

Good signs.

Reply #123
He still scars me.  Every time Waite, betts, Garlett get goals, just can't help thinking he is responsible for them not being at Carlton/

Understand that Age and it is sickening, but we now have some very promising young guys and a good young coach so let's look forward to better times.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #124
Scores against Freo this year

Carlton 72
North Melbourne 132
West Coast 92
Gold Coast 126
Western Bulldogs 103

It was more about Freos inability to score that i was talking about.....although they have been improved on previous years

Reply #125
It was YOU who said that. Couldn't remember.

Was never going to be 10 goal loss because Freo were always going to struggle to kick 10 goals!

Had it have been against somebody else, maybe.

Considering how much trouble we have in scoring, Freo was the perfect side for us to play as so do they.

It easily could've been me but I only thought it, not said it...lol.

Reply #126
How good is it that regulars last year like Jamo, Everett, Armfield, Boakhorst and Walker were all out, but we still manage to win interstate and the above replacements looked ready and did enough to hold their spot.

Real deph is something we had very little of for a long time.

Good signs.

You can add Wood, White, Tutt and Bell to that list.

Our depth has improved but, to me, the most important change is the improvement in the strength of our best 22.  The addition of ready made players like Wright and Kerridge, emerging players like Plowman, Lamb, Byrne and Phillips, and draft picks Weitering and Curnow has made a great difference and will continue to do so.

“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #127
Even with Freo's poor start and injury woes, doubt many would have bothered to take the pencil out to pencil us in for this one. Good win for thr club - shame it wasnt on TV so i didnt get to see any of a rare win  >:(

Reply #128
Even with Freo's poor start and injury woes, doubt many would have bothered to take the pencil out to pencil us in for this one. Good win for thr club - shame it wasnt on TV so i didnt get to see any of a rare win  >:(

The euphoria on the day after is obviously never the same as watching it live, but the AFL website has full replays if it makes a difference. I also assume your computer monitor is smaller than your telly - but it's better than nothing IMO.

Reply #129
I know I sounds all negative and that but jeeeeesus that was a bad level we played at. Just really really bad. Sorry but... yeah - bad.

We finally won though so that is undoubtedly a positive. Infinitely better to win a crape game than to lose it.

On Jones:
2 late goals - great. Winning goal - nobody can take that away from you - ever so well done.

Did precisely nothing to that point though. Was putrid. Even missing a bolted on sitter right in front of goal when his team REALLY FRIGGING needed it 20m out straight in front is forgotten.

All forgotten because he got a free kick then Kerridge effected the opponents kick which lobbed into Jones's (who was not manning up but standing around doing his usual impression of a stunned mullet) lap.

End on a positive: Byrne is amazing.

Don't forget entries in to fwd 50 were shocking. Dunstall would have struggled. That's not Jones fault and I am normally first to knock him. Had 3 shots got 2 so that's an improvement. He can't kick goals from no further than 30 out so staying deep is the ONLY position for him in snrs. Jones, Lamb, E Curnow and Levi all missed shots front on but Freo missed more.
Byrne sensational. When Sheehan gets right can see 3 mad irishmen playing defence for CFC. Thought Kruzer struggled. Not taking marks enough to be damaging. Got his hands on many up fwd for nothing.
Kerridge was great but needs to be told no more short kicks from defence as he has turned it over every game. Rowe was good but Pav is finished. If only Rowe could use the ball as his body work is ok.
Dylan looks lost. Will struggle to get back in def with Simpson owning it and now Byrne. Hope he finds form but I thought he fuoght well in last qtr, as did Phillips, Plow and Sumner. Gives much needed confidence as we tackle the scum. Even my 5 yr old girl hates Essendon...just born that way I presume :-)
Pls kick straight Harry

Reply #130
The euphoria on the day after is obviously never the same as watching it live, but the AFL website has full replays if it makes a difference. I also assume your computer monitor is smaller than your telly - but it's better than nothing IMO.

Is it still free or do you have to subscribe to watch them? I thought is was all behind a pay-wall now, which I don't mind if it's Ad free but if it isn't Ad Free I refuse to watch them. They should have one or two options;

- Paid subscription and totally Ad free.

- Free-to-Air and Ad supported.

I don't get how it can be a paid subscription and loaded with Ads. As far as I am concerned the "Owners of various Sports" are Australian's, not the AFL, the PAid Players, Telstra< news Ltd or Foxtel! ;)
The Force Awakens!

Reply #131
I buy a weekly pass on the AFL Live app and watch on my tablet for the games I want that aren't available elsewhere. It's the same coverage as Foxtel. I find that's OK and yesterday was no exception. NB. Remember to cancel the subscription afterwards otherwise it will automatically renew.

AFAIK the AFL replays on its website are free.

Reply #132
Is it still free or do you have to subscribe to watch them? I thought is was all behind a pay-wall now, which I don't mind if it's Ad free but if it isn't Ad Free I refuse to watch them. They should have one or two options;

- Paid subscription and totally Ad free.

- Free-to-Air and Ad supported.

I don't get how it can be a paid subscription and loaded with Ads. As far as I am concerned the "Owners of various Sports" are Australian's, not the AFL, the PAid Players, Telstra< news Ltd or Foxtel! ;)

You need a paid subscription to view it.

Reply #133
You need a paid subscription to view it.

That's news to me Paul - it was free last year.

Reply #134
That's news to me Paul - it was free last year.

Yes it's changed. If you click on the watch replay button, the subscription window pops up.