Skip to main content
Topic: Rd 5: Post Game Party!: Carlton vs. Fremantle (Read 54519 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Rd 5: Post Game Party!: Carlton vs. Fremantle

Reply #150
I thought Rowe was pretty good against Freo, in the main role he was no longer hesitant. Just needs to get sorted in his head when to mark and when to punch, maybe some confidence will help.

To me one problem we have got with the mids is some confusion over who's doing what and it makes us look slow. Other than Kreuzer and Murphy they don't even look like they know where they want to stand. Yet I liked the early parts of the Freo game, Kreuzer looked fresher and hit the contest really hard leaving Cripps free to either link up or attack the opposition. Later in the game Clark started winning taps but by then the game had slowed and Cripps size and fitness kicked in, he was winning contested ball regularly. In effect early it was Kreuzer / Murphy when we were winning first use, later it was Cripps / Gibbs when Freo got their hands on the ball.

Not sure about the benefits of having Kreuzer, Cripps, Murphy and Gibbs in the same rotation. It's like we have an A and B rotation, but I'd rather opposition had to deal continuously with either Kreuzer or Cripps. Feels a bit like rolling he dice at the moment.

In a high pressure game Gibbs impressed, as did Daisy. I think if Daisy stays fit he'll start to get more of a midfield rotation and that will help enormously as he can certainly find the football at stoppages.

I'd like to see Wright used in the F50 more, less in the midfield, his tackling is impressive and he could be our Betts replacement as a pressure forward.

Lamb did some nice stuff but tends to want to jump at the ball more than get at the fall. We had very few marks taken against our tall forwards so get some players at their feet.

Good analysis LP.

I was surprised when I saw Kreuzer's stats; he seemed to have a much greater influence around the ground.  I suppose his second and third efforts and up as clearances won stats for others.

Kerridge is proving to be an important cog in the midfield rotations too.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #151
Interesting about the Mid Rotation theory LP.

I watched the centre square set up a lot (as it was a speciality) of mine when i played) and what i noticed is BOlton actually has very few different guys running through there. Ratten, MM and Barker all had everyone having a crack at different times. But usually it was Cripps, Gibbs, Murphy at the start and then Curnow would rotate through there, but otherwise Kerridge, Sumner, Thomas would all line up on the wing.

This could be a lower interchange rotation thing, or a huge emphasis of winning the centre clearance. Cripps would start, Kerridge would follow the play from the wing and Cripps would wander forward for his "break" but it was important to have Cripps in the centre.

It's clear we need some more midfield depth though.
"We are a club in a hurry"

#united #reset

Reply #152
I'd love to know what (or who) Bolts was yelling  into his hands when Griffiths toed that Freo goal through in the last quarter.

He was FILTHY!!
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #153
I'd love to know what (or who) Bolts was yelling  into his hands when Griffiths toed that Freo goal through in the last quarter.

He was FILTHY!!

Didn't that one, freaky as it was, put our win at risk? I think BB BADLY wanted to notch up a win tbh.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #154
Why waste a chance to get games into the kids ,Jamo ,Walker,Army will all be lucky to be there past this year,don't get me wrong they are some of my favs,but it is time to play the kids and see the green shoots ,it will make it better for the future than going back to the past.They all played last year and where did we finish,give the kids a go if they don't work out at least we know.I would rather watch the future than a replay of the past.You can add Rowe ,Jones and tuhey into that group as well because if they are not under contract I can see them being gone as well.The thought of watching Bokhurst,Jaesch,and down the track Sosos and others will get me to more games than watching the past.

Reply #155
Didn't that one, freaky as it was, put our win at risk? I think BB BADLY wanted to notch up a win tbh.

No doubt cook.

But if you look at the vision it looks like he's being very specific about something not going right. Thought someone at the centre clearance had forked up TBH.
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #156

He was FILTHY!!

I was trying to muffle "JESUS H. F***ING CHRIST" into a couple large throw cushions in order to not scare the kids in the next room.

Reply #157
I was trying to muffle "JESUS H. F***ING CHRIST" into a couple large throw cushions in order to not scare the kids in the next room.
I didnt muffle, just yelled out "FFS" in a crowed room at a party I was at.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #158

Dockers supporters around me started to leave, and several turned around and came back lololololol!
"We are a club in a hurry"

#united #reset

Reply #159
One thing I hadn't really noticed was how little time Kreuzer and Phillips spent on the ground.  I was expecting the ruckmen to rest in the forward line but they each spent about a third of the game on the pine.  Clarke and Griffen were much the same.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #160
One thing I hadn't really noticed was how little time Kreuzer and Phillips spent on the ground.  I was expecting the ruckmen to rest in the forward line but they each spent about a third of the game on the pine.  Clarke and Griffen were much the same.

Why are you surprised this was the way things were pre-sub rule, so it should be expected rucks would go back to rotating off the bench. I hope it continues, but I think we won't see the best of Kreuzer until he gets a high percentage of game time.

Lots of ducks and drakes for the rest of this season, the new rules have really put the cat amongst the pigeons. But one thing, I reckon Lyon tried a half old style game plan at the weekend and our defense stood up OK.

What is surprising for me is how much TOG KPP players are getting, not just our game but across the competition some are above 95% TOG.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #161

He was FILTHY!!

Probably the same thing Lyon was thinking when Daisy's kick sneaked over the line! :D

Actually the commentators are bullsh1t, the Daisy shot crossed the line well above the reach of defenders. The line camera looks down from above the padding making it look lower than it really was. But that padding must be 4m~5m high and ball crossed the line above it. I don't know any players who can get a hand on the ball above padding height.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #162
Why are you surprised this was the way things were pre-sub rule, so it should be expected rucks would go back to rotating off the bench. I hope it continues, but I think we won't see the best of Kreuzer until he gets a high percentage of game time.

Lots of ducks and drakes for the rest of this season, the new rules have really put the cat amongst the pigeons. But one thing, I reckon Lyon tried a half old style game plan at the weekend and our defense stood up OK.

What is surprising for me is how much TOG KPP players are getting, not just our game but across the competition some are above 95% TOG.

I'm surprised because the pundits predicted that sides would play two ruckmen and they would rest in the forward line.  This is what GWS and Collingwood did (St Kilda and Essendon both played only one ruckman).

Phillips has spent roughly the same TOG in all 5 games but, apart from the Richmond game, Kreuzer has been on the ground for much longer.  I guess the tactics changed with Jones coming into the side.  Charlie Curnow is the other bloke spending a lot of time on the pine.

Reply #163
Probably the same thing Lyon was thinking when Daisy's kick sneaked over the line! :D

Actually the commentators are bullsh1t, the Daisy shot crossed the line well above the reach of defenders. The line camera looks down from above the padding making it look lower than it really was. But that padding must be 4m~5m high and ball crossed the line above it. I don't know any players who can get a hand on the ball above padding height.

Seriously LP.

Bolton could have touched that ball standing on the line.

Reply #164
Seriously LP.

Bolton could have touched that ball standing on the line.

Goal post camera shows it crossed the line above padding height, the padding at Domain Stadium is apparently 4.5m high.

But if you are talking to the purple hoard, it crossed the line a foot off the ground! ;)
The Force Awakens!