Skip to main content
Topic: Rd 5: Post Game Party!: Carlton vs. Fremantle (Read 54528 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Rd 5: Post Game Party!: Carlton vs. Fremantle

Reply #165
Seriously LP.

Bolton could have touched that ball standing on the line.

Id agree with that.

Everyone lined up on the back point post expecting the marking contest and not one of them stood the line.

The bloke who almost got to it was diving for it thats how close it was.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #166
Id agree with that.

Everyone lined up on the back point post expecting the marking contest and not one of them stood the line.

The bloke who almost got to it was diving for it thats how close it was.
The kid can dive all he likes but unless he dove and set a new draft combine total height record he was never going near the footy as it crossed the goal line.

- The cameras are sitting just above the padding.(See the dot on the opposite goal post).
 - The new 2016 padding is apparently about 4.5m high, or the cameras are 4.5m high, I'm waiting for that to be confirmed.
 - The direct line between the near camera and the far camera on top of the padding on the opposite goal post must be level.
 - The ball has crossed the goal line(Behind the opposite post) as it drops below the top of the padding. (Keep in mind perspective as the ball is closer to the near camera)
 - The player diving for the ball is completely behind the goal line, the ball drops at least 0.5m behind him. So an AFL player is say 70cm across the shoulders so the ball hits the ground at least 1.2m over the line dropping almost vertically.
 - The AFL record for total height jump is Naitanui 3.62m.

There was a very slim chance someone with a good run up directly under the flight of the ball might get their timing perfect and get a finger on it.

Too many people are swayed by Dwayne "The Pain" Russell's Foxtel comments but they are uninformed rubbish because he is a goose!

You can watch and stop the video from here about 21 - 30s mark, http://www.carltonfc.com.au/video/2016-04-24/daisy-bends-one-back
The Force Awakens!

Reply #167
Watched it 10 times.

The Freo guy was face first in the dirt and the ball almost hit him in the hands. ;D ;D
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #168
Watched it 10 times.

The Freo guy was face first in the dirt and the ball almost hit him in the hands. ;D ;D

Yes, and Harmes was 3m over the boundary line! ;)

I don't mind winding the Freo supporters up, but there were media types using it as another example of a poor Daisy kick that was just lucky from about 35m out. But from Daisy's perspective it was never in doubt, it was well executed, got good distance for that type of kick and it was a goal!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #169
Yes, and Harmes was 3m over the boundary line! ;)

I don't mind winding the Freo supporters up, but there were media types using it as another example of a poor Daisy kick that was just lucky from about 35m out. But from Daisy's perspective it was never in doubt, it was well executed, got good distance for that type of kick and it was a goal!

Sorry.

But no point arguing.

Next.
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #170
The kid can dive all he likes but unless he dove and set a new draft combine total height record he was never going near the footy as it crossed the goal line.

- The cameras are sitting just above the padding.(See the dot on the opposite goal post).
 - The new 2016 padding is apparently about 4.5m high, or the cameras are 4.5m high, I'm waiting for that to be confirmed.
 - The direct line between the near camera and the far camera on top of the padding on the opposite goal post must be level.
 - The ball has crossed the goal line(Behind the opposite post) as it drops below the top of the padding. (Keep in mind perspective as the ball is closer to the near camera)
 - The player diving for the ball is completely behind the goal line, the ball drops at least 0.5m behind him. So an AFL player is say 70cm across the shoulders so the ball hits the ground at least 1.2m over the line dropping almost vertically.
 - The AFL record for total height jump is Naitanui 3.62m.

There was a very slim chance someone with a good run up directly under the flight of the ball might get their timing perfect and get a finger on it.

Too many people are swayed by Dwayne "The Pain" Russell's Foxtel comments but they are uninformed rubbish because he is a goose!

You can watch and stop the video from here about 21 - 30s mark, http://www.carltonfc.com.au/video/2016-04-24/daisy-bends-one-back

Are you guys talking about the same goal?

4.5m high cameras? No chance.

Cameras are there for the 'touches' on the line. A 200cm bloke with his hand up in the air can reach maybe 3m. To get to the height of the camera he has to have a jump of 1.5m! Nic nat gets about 90 i think, 60% of the way.

Reply #171
Just watched the video, the umpire is about 80% of the height of the padding.
The camera (dot on opposite post) is about 1/2m (at most) above that.

I'd suggest 2.5m high is the height of the camera.

Either way, the ball was under the top of the pads, well within reach.

If anything is 4.5m high, its the point post!

Reply #172

IC! :o

As I understand it the old Domain Stadium 2015 goal and point posts were 15m and 12m respectively(Required minimum is 15m and 10m). My info is that the new 2016 goal-line camera posts are higher with the point posts at 15m high(old goal posts maybe?) and the new goal posts are 18m high.

I have no idea where you get the umpire at 80% of the padding height that I cannot help you with, and this picture is the old posts and padding! :o

The Force Awakens!

Reply #173

I thought the ball bounced through! ;)
The Ox is slow but I'm running out of patience.

Reply #174
Any Freo player, even Ballantyne, could have marked Thomas's kick if they were standing on the goal line midway between the posts.  It was very poor defence and pretty typical of a lot of Freo's work.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #175
I thought the ball bounced through! ;)

Goal umpire had to jump out the way to avoid being hit.

Reply #176
I've found the problem, you lot are looking at the wrong image! :D

The Force Awakens!

Reply #177
Coaches' votes:

9 Patrick Cripps (Carl)
9 Kade Simpson (Carl)
5 Lachie Neale (Frem)
4 Marc Murphy (Carl)
2 Bryce Gibbs (Carl)

1 Michael Barlow (Frem)
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #178
Coaches' votes:

9 Patrick Cripps (Carl)
9 Kade Simpson (Carl)
5 Lachie Neale (Frem)
4 Marc Murphy (Carl)
2 Bryce Gibbs (Carl)

1 Michael Barlow (Frem)

Interesting the coaches agree on the top votes, seems contested possessions and intercept marking/spoils are the coaches big priorities.

So we know from the votes;

5/4 Cripps
5/4 Simpson
3/2 Neale
3/1 Murphy
2 Gibbs
1 Barlow.

Surprised Barlow didn't get more votes, 14 tackles and 32 possessions would normally get a BOG.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #179
Why waste a chance to get games into the kids ,Jamo ,Walker,Army will all be lucky to be there past this year,don't get me wrong they are some of my favs,but it is time to play the kids and see the green shoots ,it will make it better for the future than going back to the past.

I agree with this in principle but there are occassions to go for a win and when youre staring at your worst start to a season, you need the win to pick morale up.