Skip to main content
Topic: Rd 5: Post Game Party!: Carlton vs. Fremantle (Read 54517 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Rd 5: Post Game Party!: Carlton vs. Fremantle

Reply #180
I agree with this in principle but there are occassions to go for a win and when youre staring at your worst start to a season, you need the win to pick morale up.

There still needs to be an element of merit. Always.

If Army's fit and firing (and given Buckley's injured in any event), it's a no brainer.

Rainbow you could argue is a replacement for Simmo, 2E, Byrne or the Doc (only 2E a chance to be dropped in reality) but hasn't done enough yet. The other Irishman is injured. Who else is close to demanding it?

SOSOS - too soon, ditto Cuningham.

Curnow and Weitering already playing. Pretty good mix imo.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #181
I agree with this in principle but there are occassions to go for a win and when youre staring at your worst start to a season, you need the win to pick morale up.

It appears that our match committee doesn't agree with "getting games into the kids" and is following a selection on merit policy, and that's a good thing as far as I'm concerned.

Bolton is creating a learning environment and he has made it clear that players must learn that they are not entitled to games but, if they work hard, anything is possible. 

Gifting games to youngsters who haven't earned a place in the team is not good for team culture or player development.  By all means play them when they're ready and deserve to be in the best 22.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #182
One of the interesting moments was at the end of the game when Bolton instructed the assistant coaches to go and shake the players hands.  Even with the emotion of his first win, his mind was still on the job well after the siren.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #183
One of the interesting moments was at the end of the game when Bolton instructed the assistant coaches to go and shake the players hands.  Even with the emotion of his first win, his mind was still on the job well after the siren.

I noticed that. The more I see of him in action the more I'm growing to like him.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #184
I noticed that. The more I see of him in action the more I'm growing to like him.
Yep, he has an epic task on his hands but the more you see of him in action as you say, the more you know he is the right man for the job.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #185
Why does prioritising kids mean gifting games?

Reply #186

You can tear the club apart, not just the playing list, if you let blokes who aren't that deserving take a spot on match day.

Go ask Denis Pagan and Mick Martin!

It takes dozens of trainers, coaches, admin staff to get these blokes to the level required, and giving some kid a game who hasn't deserved the spot is a spit in their face!

I don't give a sh1t! if you are the hybrid cloned love child of SOS, Kouta and Juddy. It means NADA until you've played some good footy!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #187
You can tear the club apart, not just the playing list, if you let blokes who aren't that deserving take a spot on match day.

Go ask Denis Pagan and Mick Martin!

It takes dozens of trainers, coaches, admin staff to get these blokes to the level required, and giving some kid a game who hasn't deserved the spot is a spit in their face!

Fair sized bow tying this into Mick Martyn. I didny say give games to undeserving players and if we're going that far back - it didnt tear apart Brisbane.

Reply #188

It doesn't necessarily mean that.

If everything else is equal, priority should be given to players with the potential to play for many years to come.  Gifting games is selecting players who haven't earned their place on merit.

Reply #189
Fair sized bow tying this into Mick Martyn. I didny say give games to undeserving players and if we're going that far back - it didnt tear apart Brisbane.

Voss might see things differently, giving undeserving kids a run is pretty analogous to offering to trade away club champions on a pipe dream. It has a very similar effect on the club in general.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #190
It doesn't necessarily mean that.

If everything else is equal, priority should be given to players with the potential to play for many years to come.  Gifting games is selecting players who haven't earned their place on merit.

That really is the critical part.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #191
IC! :o

As I understand it the old Domain Stadium 2015 goal and point posts were 15m and 12m respectively(Required minimum is 15m and 10m). My info is that the new 2016 goal-line camera posts are higher with the point posts at 15m high(old goal posts maybe?) and the new goal posts are 18m high.

I have no idea where you get the umpire at 80% of the padding height that I cannot help you with, and this picture is the old posts and padding! :o

Talks of the trials of the cameras....
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/goal-post-cameras-to-be-used-by-channel-ten-20100824-13l1k.html
The 6cmm by 3cm cameras, one at 40cm off the ground and the other three metres off the ground, will also be used during three Melbourne finals.

There is also a picture that goes with it...
FYI, that is a 6 foot ladder, and the bloke is probably about the same height. Note he is not at the top of the ladder though.
Works out to be about 3m, as the article suggests.....and as makes sense.

But sure, lets go with an extra 50% on that because......you said?!

EDIT:

Reply #192
Talks of the trials of the cameras....
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/goal-post-cameras-to-be-used-by-channel-ten-20100824-13l1k.html
The 6cmm by 3cm cameras, one at 40cm off the ground and the other three metres off the ground, will also be used during three Melbourne finals.

There is also a picture that goes with it...
FYI, that is a 6 foot ladder, and the bloke is probably about the same height. Note he is not at the top of the ladder though.
Works out to be about 3m, as the article suggests.....and as makes sense.

But sure, lets go with an extra 50% on that because......you said?!

Haw haw haw, really?

You are trying to using a 2010 report of the first ever trial of the cameras!

Not only is the article obsolete, it wasn't even correct last season before the new higher synthetic goal posts were announced with goal-line cameras integrated into the posts. And the padding might have been 3m in 2010 but not any more, but keep arguing just ignore that  boundary umpire standing right next to the Domain Stadium 2015 point post padding, or else perhaps he's just 1.5m tall! :D

What's more if that's a 6ft ladder the padding is at least 1m above it, and the camera is another 0.5m above that, but it's OK round down to 3m just to make yourself happy.

Seriously Kruddler, you are clutching at straws using 6 year old obsolete data trying to defend an obviously wrong statement! It's OK you can be wrong the world won't end and there is no need to be embarrassed! :o
The Force Awakens!

Reply #193
Ringing Domain Stadium and asking someone in the know might be the best way of solving this.

Or if one of our WA members is around there at some point, but that might be a stretch.

EDIT : further to this, I'm sure if you watch the video replay of the whole match., there will be enough chances to see the goal umpire adjacent to the posts - if you assume he (or she if applicable) is about 1.8m tall, you could make a pretty good guess. I just watched highlights from round 8 2015, Freo v Kangas, and the padding in that footage looks about twice the height of the umpire, so if it's still the same, my guess is less than 4m, maybe closer to 3.5, 3.6.

Reply #194
Ringing Domain Stadium and asking someone in the know might be the best way of solving this.

Or if one of our WA members is around there at some point, but that might be a stretch.

EDIT : further to this, I'm sure if you watch the video replay of the whole match., there will be enough chances to see the goal umpire adjacent to the posts - if you assume he (or she if applicable) is about 1.8m tall, you could make a pretty good guess. I just watched highlights from round 8 2015, Freo v Kangas, and the padding in that footage looks about twice the height of the umpire, so if it's still the same, my guess is less than 4m, maybe closer to 3.5, 3.6.

It's even easier PaulP, just wait for a goal line review and you can see the camera embedded in the opposite post above the top of the new 2016 padding!

But seriously, Kruddler claiming the umpire was 80% the height of the goal post padding is just ridiculous.
The Force Awakens!