Skip to main content
Topic: Trumpled (Alternative Leading) (Read 389142 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Trumpled (Alternative Leading)

Reply #2250
Some States open postal/absentee voting 55 days before the election - what were the issues then, and what impact would those have had?  Anything that happens over the next two weeks has a lower impact due to the general rise of postal voting.

Reply #2251
No doubt the plan was that this story was going to erupt and each new day would bring another leak of emails on the drip feed to keep the story going. Instead, the story failed to catch fire. Much of the comment was about it being a Russian operation, and Facebook & Twitter limited its spread.

A slow-burner isn’t what Trump needs. I guess you already know the election is only 2 weeks away. Moreover, there have already been 28 million early votes cast in the 21 States that have had it up to this point (with another handful of States opening early voting today, including Florida). Given the expectation that the total of votes will end up being 150 million, the Trump campaign needs the story to catch fire now, not in 2 weeks or in the months ahead.

By the way, the CNN legal commentator, Jeffrey Toobin, has died by his own hand (metaphorically speaking). He was in a Zoom meeting in his capacity as a New Yorker columnist and thought his video was off. Whatever was being discussed must have been arousing and he was caught on camera trying to relieve the tension!

Dodge, I see we were thinking the same thing. I posted mine before I saw your post.

Reply #2253
By the way, this will no doubt be raised by Trump in the debate on Thursday but this will be problematic for Trump. He would have preferred to raise it after all the mud had been thrown. Instead, he’ll be the one trying to make the case. Biden will be able to immediately counterattack and lambast Trump for cooking up a smear with the help of Russia. He can tie it in with the 2016 Russian election interference and the impeachment over Ukrainian meddling.

No matter how much Trump will claim he had nothing to do with it, Rudy and Steve Bannon have their fingerprints all over it and we know Rudy was sent by Trump to Ukraine to try to smear Biden.

We already have Biden’s denial there was any meeting with Burisma and he has reiterated that he was tasked by the White House to lobby for the sacking of a corrupt prosecutor who had refused to investigate Burisma. This was supported by European nations. He did this successfully, so he hurt rather than helped Burisma. He also inferred that his son had never proposed such a meeting by saying he never discussed either son’s work activities. I hope that Biden goes further in the debate by saying the hard drive contained forgeries but Trump would need to do more than smear Hunter Biden to impact Joe Biden.

And what will Trump hope to achieve? He can only hope voters who are concerned about corruption will say “a pox on both your Houses” and abstain from voting as Trump and his family have been shamelessly raking in cash from foreign governments. It’s unlikely those voters will flock to Trump. It’s much more likely they’ll vote for Biden as there’s no real contest when it comes to dishonesty and corruption.

Reply #2255
Trump's always been a bit of a Teflon man.
Nothing seemed to stick to him.
Things that would normally bring down mere 'mortal politicians' seemed to have had  little or no effect on him.
The 'fake news' tag seemed to work.

I'm just wondering though, whether after 4 years of this 'phenomenon', it now applies equally to his opposition as well.
Do folks really worry as much about Biden's family, influences, e-mails etc as they might have pre-Trump.
I suspect it only has an impact on the already committed.

Others just see it as part of the political 'push and shove' and it wont factor into their vote  to any great extent.

Reply #2256
Trump's always been a bit of a Teflon man.
Nothing seemed to stick to him.
Not so it seems in official channels, like banks, financial authorities and sovereign states are reported to have turned their back on his empire. It's virtually impossible to determine the truth of this without some state authority investigating, but if the reports are true in those official circles Trump is persona non-grata.

What we might refer to as credible banks, if there is such a thing, won't deal with him. So he has to do dodgy dealings with dodgy financial institutions based in even dodgier locations, which is an irony given how he freely throws around the accusations about others dealing with Russia.

I'm gobsmacked some aren't claiming that he is insolvent, perhaps he is saved by the Presidency for now! I realise that the debate around insolvency for people with 9 or 10 digit fortunes is a tad academic, because they move so much money around fortunes can sway so very very quickly, from billion$ to bu$t then back to billion$ is a common tale.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #2257
Imagine how quickly business at his premises will dry up when he ceases to be President. Trump Hotel in Washington is the go to for lobbyists and visiting foreign dignitaries even though there’s a cheaper 5-star hotel close by. IIRC, one country booked and paid for a whole floor even though it wasn’t used. A few months ago, Trump put it up for sale on the strength of that custom but nobody was interested as patronage would plummet immediately after any sale. Trump even mothballed a long-planned move by the FBI away from its building close to Trump’s Hotel no doubt because he’d lose custom from those visiting the FBI!

Then you have the frequent trips Trump and his extended family make to Trump properties. That forces the Secret Service to pay Trump for their accommodation and food in those places at inflated rates. The expectation is that Trump will move to Maralago for the 2 months of his lame-duck presidency if he loses so he can rip as much money from the public purse as possible.

Reply #2258
The Washington Post reported in 2018 that a lobbyist for Saudi Arabia paid for 500 rooms after the 2016 election over 3 months. So Saudi Arabia put a quarter of a million dollars in Trump’s pocket :o

I’m thinking Saudi Arabia thinks it got great bang for its bucks!

Reply #2259
The Debate Commission has announced that a candidate’s mic will be muted while his opponent has 2 minutes to answer a question/comment on an issue  :D

Reply #2260
It seems that the laptop story gained more traction here than in the USA:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-10-23/joe-biden-hunter-laptop-allegations-us-election-2020/12801162?utm_source=abc_news_web&utm_medium=content_shared&utm_content=link&utm_campaign=abc_news_web

With few exceptions, the US media seems to have decided that a doctored laptop was planted and the stooge Giuliani fell for it.  Perhaps he should have kept his hand inside his pants  :)
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #2261
Helluva different debate to the 1st.

Trump was a normal human for once. He actually was a good debater. He managed to trap Biden on the ropes regarding his record in the Senate and in the Vice-Presidency. Maybe he’ll be able to persuade young black men to sit out the election or switch votes. Maybe he might have gained some votes in oil and coal country by getting Biden to say those industries are needed now but will lose out in order to have carbon neutrality by 2035. If I were awarding points on presentation, I’d give it to Trump. But he did so by lying his ar$e off and he’ll lose points in the post-debate fact-checking.

But Biden was good too. He did well enough to say he did his chances no harm, and when you’re ahead that’s not a bad thing. He was able to dominate on covid & healthcare.

Reply #2262
By the way, this debate marked the death of the New York Post story. Trump made almost coded references to it but didn’t ask the sort of questions a lawyer would to flush out Biden’s position on what was genuine and what wasn’t. I don’t think he lacks the guts or desire to do it. I’m sure he accepted advice that focussing on this issue would alienate mainstream voters. Instead, his subtle references to the story were calibrated to resonate only with his base who are already well aware of the story. It takes its place beside stories such as the one that says Democrats are satanist paedophiles who eat the flesh of children.

Reply #2263
Donald spent far too much time trying to hang labels on Biden. 

When it came to policy, it was almost laughable - he trades on cliches, eg he said his new Healthcare plan to protect the 22 million on Obamacare and protect those with pre-existing conditions was going to be 'an amazing healthcare package'.  He said exactly the same thing 4 years ago.  This guy is a snake oil salesman who has minimal credibility as a democratic leader.

Unfortunately, Biden is no Nelson Mandela either.....
This is now the longest premiership drought in the history of the Carlton Football Club - more evidence of climate change?

Reply #2264
Donald spent far too much time trying to hang labels on Biden. 

When it came to policy, it was almost laughable - he trades on cliches, eg he said his new Healthcare plan to protect the 22 million on Obamacare and protect those with pre-existing conditions was going to be 'an amazing healthcare package'.  He said exactly the same thing 4 years ago.  This guy is a snake oil salesman who has minimal credibility as a democratic leader.

Unfortunately, Biden is no Nelson Mandela either.....
 The labels probably work with a lot of the US voting public, not sure they have 4 year memories.
The Force Awakens!