Skip to main content
Topic: Smith's Crew in SA (Read 82144 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Smith's Crew in SA

Reply #150
I love the game, my son plays junior cricket, every year we make the trek to Melbourne to see a day of the Boxing Day Test. I can tell you for sure that if Smith and Warner are playing in the next Boxing Day Test I won't be going

Reply #151
Faf de Plessis is a cheat as well, he didn't get a suspension and showed zero contrition.

Because Bancroft's Australian he'll get a suspension because we're the only country that does anything wrong.  Personnally I'd suspend him, ball tampering is against the rules, although they all do it.... even the saffies.

As for the bloke who followed Warner up the steps.... a greater F###wit I am yet to see, and I've seen just about every variety of flog on this planet.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #152
I don't know that I've given myself time to think about this, but I feel that I have to say something. Well, more than a few things. It is me, after all, and I tend to write a lot.

[1] Smith and the 'leadership group' have made a serious error. They should be penalized for it. I may not like it, but these guys broke the rules and the spirit of the game and must face some sort of consequence.

[2] It worries me when we do the wrong thing, as we generally don't. We generally hold the upper ground when it comes to morality, so when we fail it does a lot of damage to our arguments. We blame those who do cheat. Well, we've done it this time and we should show what it means to us.
On the other hand, many others seem to consider the rules most elastically. Mr. du Plessis, for example. His excuse is pretty unlikely. If he can prove that he was hacked, well fair enough. But it is simply a statement from him of a very improbable nature.
Mr. Rabada has demonstrated more than once that his unsportsmanlike behavior is part of him. As a result, he doesn't really have a leg to stand on when his conduct is concerned. That decisions can be made that take no account at all of the views of the person on the receiving end is something I find unreasonable and unprofessional at best, simple corruption at the worst.
English pacemen a few years back were caught using lollie to make the ball swing. They succeeded on winning as a result. They cheated and admitted it some time after. Yet the series result was allowed to stand. No consequences at all. Extremely poor.
I won't go into what happens on the sub-continent. The corruption there beggars description.

So, what am I saying? Fair enough. We got caught and should b punished. But does not appear to be the case with others. What is good enough for us is good enough for the rest of them.

[3] That Smith and company instructed Bancroft to do this act is something that bothers me. If they can come up with this stupid idea, then they should have done it, not farmed it off to the most inexperienced payer in the team.

This is a dark period in Australian Cricket and should be seen as such. It just makes me worry that the standards we set, and those set upon us, do not seem to be applied as they should be. It is time that cricket cleaned up its act. This sort of rubbish, in fact, the whole situation as it has come to pass in South Africa, should never have been allowed to occur. It does damage to the image of the whole game.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #154
Let's not have talk about the leadership group...there's an intimation there that it's someone else chiefly to blame.
The captain should go down with the ship.
The buck stops there.

Reply #155
Let's not have talk about the leadership group...there's an intimation there that it's someone else chiefly to blame.
The captain should go down with the ship.
The buck stops there.

Sounds to me like there is a massive problem with the culture of the team and the captain is obviously one of those with prime responsibility. However an extensive review of the team management and leadership combined with some deep soul searching will be needed to fix this. Also, how much of this is reflective of what goes on in the game generally? A very concerning matter for true cricket lovers.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #156
It does bring up an interesting dynamic.
I've never been overly concerned with our salary cap penalties.
I think they were thoroughly deserved.
I hold my club to a high standard...a standard greater than I'd apply to other sides.

I think that there are many who'd feel the same about our National Cricket side.
The penalty needs to be severe.

Reply #157
Why severely punish Australians for ball-tampering when those from other sides (including Captains du Plessis and Atherton) have only got wet lettuce leaf punishments? I think this incident is exposing a deep underlying dislike of Smith (and Warner), why should they be treated differently to others that have committed the same offense previously?

Reply #158
Why severely punish Australians for ball-tampering when those from other sides (including Captains du Plessis and Atherton) have only got wet lettuce leaf punishments? I think this incident is exposing a deep underlying dislike of Smith (and Warner), why should they be treated differently to others that have committed the same offense previously?

I think it's more about us holding ourselves to a higher standard
That's why we're getting the reaction.
I like Smith but I'm disappointed.
I don't care about others.

Reply #159

THE ICC may well use the sioggy leaf approach.

Cricket Australia simply should sack Smith now.

It's not on.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #160

Because in Australia we hate cheats in any sport. Players that dive in football, players that dive in soccer, any player that takes supplements etc.
In another country a player can be banned for steroid abuse and the media will beat it up as people being out to discredit the country, not in this country.
In another country an athlete could come back from a 2 year steroid suspension and the public is very unlikely to take to them, because they are a cheat. They are systematically cheating.

We as a country should hold our cricketers to high standards, they are the role models setting the standard for our kids and the next generation.
It should be clear that if you cannot treat you privilege to play for Australia with the respect it requires, then you should not play for it and you absolutely should not lead it.

We don't want to become accepting of cheats, we want to lead the hollering at those that do cheat, because we wouldn't do that. We win, but we win fair.
If Australia take a wet lettuce leaf approach to sanctions against this crop, they ask Australian's to change their ideas on how they view our sportsmen and to change to a "win at any costs" approach, because the penalties are slight anyway.

CA has an obligation to treat these players the way THEY believe cricketers from any country should be treated, not the way they would just want the opposition to be treated.
If we preach higher ideals, then these penalties from CA must be severe and the leaders must fall.
Goals for 2017
=============
Play the most anti-social football in the AFL

Reply #161
It does bring up an interesting dynamic.
I've never been overly concerned with our salary cap penalties.
I think they were thoroughly deserved.
I hold my club to a high standard...a standard greater than I'd apply to other sides.

Careful lods. If you don't hold the view that we are constantly the victims of unfairness, double standards, corruption and incompetence from the ruling bodies and powers that be, you'll be considered a pariah. Actually, as a mod, you won't, but the rest of us hapless schnooks............

Reply #162
THE ICC may well use the sioggy leaf approach.

Cricket Australia simply should sack Smith now.

It's not on.

Smith Warner and Lehman will all get sacked.
I don’t expect any of them will be there for the last test.
Lehman has bred this culture and must be held accountable.
Renshaw and Burns will play next test.
When people ask why warner should have been sanctioned for his actions earlier on the tour, you now have your answer.
Same as Rabada. You need to be strong with that type of behaviour or you end up with this kind of garbage.
Same reason Harbajan should never have got away with his garbage and Sachin should have been hauled over the coals for lying.
If the administrators don’t stamp it out early it festers.

Reply #163
Smith Warner and Lehman will all get sacked.
I don’t expect any of them will be there for the last test.
Lehman has bred this culture and must be held accountable.
Renshaw and Burns will play next test.
When people ask why warner should have been sanctioned for his actions earlier on the tour, you now have your answer.
Same as Rabada. You need to be strong with that type of behaviour or you end up with this kind of garbage.
Same reason Harbajan should never have got away with his garbage and Sachin should have been hauled over the coals for lying.
If the administrators don’t stamp it out early it festers.

In general life and in sport, I can personally attest that this is 154% true. Well said JH.

Reply #164

It’s the bit where they cooked up the idea and made/allowed a junior player to do it that gets them in big trouble.

The actual ball tampering bit has it’s own punishment within ICC rules... whatever that is will apply to Bancroft.