Skip to main content
Topic: The Barty Party (Read 14118 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: The Barty Party

Reply #45
Alot of $hit unforced errors on those 18 break point chances.

I presume she has a coach?

Those numbers are Sammy Stosuresque in their magnitude!
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #46
I presume she has a coach?

Those numbers are Sammy Stosuresque in their magnitude!

Hopefully it's a case of starting a tournament slowly, like many do, and hit a peak in the 2nd week. Let's hope that's the case.

Reply #47
Sadly, the trend continued.

She looks a bit lost at the moment, does she lack some guidance about dealing with crowds and expectations? She seems to have a reasonable coaching crew, but there is something getting into her head at the moment because the problems are not really the opponent, although I notice opponents have taken to screaming at her aggressively and in an exaggerated manner. Maybe Ash is a bit introverted and they have picked up on that!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #48
Although I suspect that she is extremely disappointed, her presser was all class.  She remarked that she is very proud of her Grand Slam achievements, and so she should be.

Hopefully she and her team will work on eradicating unforced errors.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #49
Barty played carp all tournament - clearly something's amiss/askew whatever.

Those stats are worthy of a top 300 player, nothing more.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #50
Barty played carp all tournament - clearly something's amiss/askew whatever.

Those stats are worthy of a top 300 player, nothing more.

In fairness to Barty she found a way win a few games ugly, not something Top 300 players usually do with numbers like that!

I think the poor stats are more of a sign of inconsistency than a sign of a lack of ability.

Another thing, I've seen more than once many sportspeople get to the pinnacle of a sport once or twice and then become satisfied. It's like they have proven to themselves they can compete with the best and have nothing left driving them, often they then get labelled one hit wonders, but it doesn't mean they aren't still capable if they can be focused and motivated. What keeps Federer at the top, is it just his skills or more likely his motivation and drive?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #51
In fairness to Barty she found a way win a few games ugly, not something Top 300 players usually do with numbers like that!

I think the poor stats are more of a sign of inconsistency than a sign of a lack of ability.

Another thing, I've seen more than once many sportspeople get to the pinnacle of a sport once or twice and then become satisfied. It's like they have proven to themselves they can compete with the best and have nothing left driving them, often they then get labelled one hit wonders, but it doesn't mean they aren't still capable if they can be focused and motivated. What keeps Federer at the top, is it just his skills or more likely his motivation and drive?

Wasn't questioning ability. Was questioning current performance.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #53
She made the final 32 and lost to the 18th seed, where does top 300 come from?

In 2 sets, 39 unforced errors, 0 from 9 break points won. 18 games played.

That's worse than big Sammy at her terrible worst.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #54
She goes back to World no.1 again now.

Reply #56
Ah, the irony!

Hard to see anyone beating big, bad Serena this tourney.

Not sure she was ready to be no.1 yet but sometimes that's just the way it works out. Been a little flat since she won the French Open. Probably just a mental letdown.

Reply #57
What grit, if only more of our players showed that!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #58
Barty will be a heavy favourite. And she's playing well.

The grass will favour her game style - mixes it up very well. H2H favours Barty too.

https://www.stevegtennis.com/head-to-head/women/Ashleigh_Barty/Karolina_Pliskova/

Kerber played better than I expected - way better. A good match, kerber would have beaten most other opponents with that form.

Pliskova's win over Sabalenka might have been her 'final'?

Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #59
The girl will take some beating.  No attitude dancing.