Skip to main content
Topic: Baby Blues vs. Essendon at Windy Hill Sunday (Read 21760 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Baby Blues vs. Essendon at Windy Hill Sunday

Reply #15
Cimm went off on the old site after this result. Swore off making the switch.

Mate if your lurking, you're just the type of supporter we need on here. Heart on your sleeve and passionate to the core.
IN WADA WE TRUST

Reply #16
First time I have managed to get out of the house without the kids and watch the Northern Blues this year.  The scoreboard reflected a pretty average day, however there where some periods of the game in which we had a fair bit of the play without impacting the scoreboard.

Essendon 5.1 8.5 11.10 18.10 (118)
Northern Blues 0.4 2.6 5.9 6.13 (49)

GOALS:
Essendon: Dell'Olio 4 Daniher 4 Davey 2 Lovett-Murray 2 Gumbleton Dalgleish Hille Duscher Hunter Coghlan
Northern Blues: Menzel 3 Wilson Buckley Lincoln

BEST:
Essendon: Firman Jetta O'Brien O'Brien Duscher Lovett-Murray
Northern Blues: Watson Menzel Gianfagna Duigan Graham Meese

STATS (Disposals): Duigan 22, Menzel 20, Graham 19, Davies 19, Gianfagna 18, Lambert 17

White:  I didn't mind his game.   Got crunched early by Rowe, but he is a pretty solid footballer who makes pretty good decisions by hand and foot.   Composed in congestion.  

M. Watson:  Easy our best.   Gumbleton kicked one and would have been lucky to have 5-7 touches.   Never beaten one on one, with countless spoils and read the play on a number of occasions to take strong marks in defense.   Used the ball very well.

Joseph: Played back pocket and had his hands full.   One dimensional footballer and while he has a red hot crack he just lacks the skills to make it.   Get the feeling he knows his days are numbered.

F. Dale:   Played in defence.   Not a lot of impact and a few errors by foot.   Ok but needs to do more.  Physically ill at half time.   Not sure if that's nerves or he was unwell.

Rowe:   Had a maire early.   Combination of bad luck and poor management.   Had a hand in the first three of the Bombers goals.   First a "very soft" free to Daniher, then got caught behind with a quick snap around the corner, and then in frustration gave away a 2nd free with an overzealous attack on the football.   Battled on pretty well given the circumstances.

Davies:  I reckon he had Davey for most of the day and did a pretty decent job.   Good kick.    

Temay:  Liked his game.   Clean and composed in a side that butchers the ball.   Wouldn't have had huge numbers.  

Buckley:   Two great runs through the middle of the ground.   One resulted in a goal and the other out of bounds on the full.   Looks to be our best midfielder suited to play at AFL level.

Laidler:   Tracking David Teague for the biggest demise of an AFL footballer in a Carlton jumper.   From someone that I thought was so important to our side to a non-event at VFL level.   I don't get it.   Whatever Mick's plan is, I hope it works.  Based on today he is miles away from the ones.  You just couldn't pick him.

Menzel:   The only forward that looked dangerous.   If you think our AFL forward line is dysfunctional, the VFL one has it covered in spades.   This bloke however gets it and is a good finisher.    He won't play too many games at VFL level.

Hampson:   Hurt his knee early in the 2nd.   No impact beforehand.  The couple of times he was on the lead he managed to run under the ball.

Mitchell:  A couple of good marks, but another non event.   You would love him as an opposition coach as you can play a third tall type like Hardingham on him who can compete physically and run off him at will.   Needs to join Watson and Casboult in pre-season training with Craig Mottram.   Can't play AFL on current form.

Warnock:   Looks like a bloke collecting a pay cheque.   No influence on the game other than hit outs.   A real disappointment.   No intensity at all and the question I would be asking is "does he play football because he loves the game or because he is good at it."

Duigan:  Pretty average early, however to his credit worked into the game and seemed to push further up the ground in the 2nd half.   Great intensity.  

Graham:  Didn't notice him a lot so it was nice to see he had 19 touches.
Thanks for the great report, Shakin. Pity that the results were so negative, but we really seem to be going backwards.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #17
Thanks for the great report, Shakin. Pity that the results were so negative, but we really seem to be going backwards.

At least our two grades our in alignment for once - both going about as well.

Reply #18
No to Gumby based on his work vs Watson?

I wouldn't make that call based on one game.   He got Watson once on the lead, but most of the contests were one on one.   If he is quicker than Watson he didn't show it either because he didn't work hard enough or the delivery didn't allow it.

Being a Key forward in the VFL has to one of the hardest gigs considering the delivery.

Reply #19
Being a Key forward in the VFL has to one of the hardest gigs considered the delivery.

If that's true Shakin who's kicking goals in the VFL? We should go out and get them.

Reply #20
It is a bit of a problem that the Ones are playing poorly and the Twos worse!

Reply #21
I don't know.   Have little or no idea on the VFL guys.

I think you consider a guy like Gumbleton, but it would come down to price and what you think that is?   I would give up a third round pick.   The Bomber would ask for a 1st.   Would you take him for a 2nd?  

I don't think there is one answer and I would be inclined to keep our options open.

Levi has the potential to be diamond in the rough.   At the moment he blows up before half time and his kicking can be terrible.   However he has a great set of hands and his ruck work is pretty good.   Needs a massive pre-season and a lot of goal kicking work.

Mitchell doesn't look like he has enough strength in his upper body to compete at the moment.   He looks like he has the frame, but I wonder if his shoulder injuries has hampered his ability to add muscle.   It's only really a question the S&C guys would be able to answer.

Watson I would keep.   Again needs to get fitter but he has the attribute of a good footballer.   We need to be a bit more patient as earlier key position players from the same draft and still finding their feet.   Ie: Sam Day and Thomas Lynch.   

McCarthy gets more time.   Let's be fair I reckon we won't have a shortage of players to delist.

Rowe:  The worry is if he hasn't made it yet, will he ever?   Good insurance.

Reply #22
First time I have managed to get out of the house without the kids and watch the Northern Blues this year.  The scoreboard reflected a pretty average day, however there where some periods of the game in which we had a fair bit of the play without impacting the scoreboard.

Essendon 5.1 8.5 11.10 18.10 (118)
Northern Blues 0.4 2.6 5.9 6.13 (49)

GOALS:
Essendon: Dell'Olio 4 Daniher 4 Davey 2 Lovett-Murray 2 Gumbleton Dalgleish Hille Duscher Hunter Coghlan
Northern Blues: Menzel 3 Wilson Buckley Lincoln

BEST:
Essendon: Firman Jetta O'Brien O'Brien Duscher Lovett-Murray
Northern Blues: Watson Menzel Gianfagna Duigan Graham Meese

STATS (Disposals): Duigan 22, Menzel 20, Graham 19, Davies 19, Gianfagna 18, Lambert 17

White:  I didn't mind his game.   Got crunched early by Rowe, but he is a pretty solid footballer who makes pretty good decisions by hand and foot.   Composed in congestion.  

M. Watson:  Easy our best.   Gumbleton kicked one and would have been lucky to have 5-7 touches.   Never beaten one on one, with countless spoils and read the play on a number of occasions to take strong marks in defense.   Used the ball very well.

Joseph: Played back pocket and had his hands full.   One dimensional footballer and while he has a red hot crack he just lacks the skills to make it.   Get the feeling he knows his days are numbered.

F. Dale:   Played in defence.   Not a lot of impact and a few errors by foot.   Ok but needs to do more.  Physically ill at half time.   Not sure if that's nerves or he was unwell.

Rowe:   Had a maire early.   Combination of bad luck and poor management.   Had a hand in the first three of the Bombers goals.   First a "very soft" free to Daniher, then got caught behind with a quick snap around the corner, and then in frustration gave away a 2nd free with an overzealous attack on the football.   Battled on pretty well given the circumstances.

Davies:  I reckon he had Davey for most of the day and did a pretty decent job.   Good kick.    

Temay:  Liked his game.   Clean and composed in a side that butchers the ball.   Wouldn't have had huge numbers.  

Buckley:   Two great runs through the middle of the ground.   One resulted in a goal and the other out of bounds on the full.   Looks to be our best midfielder suited to play at AFL level.

Laidler:   Tracking David Teague for the biggest demise of an AFL footballer in a Carlton jumper.   From someone that I thought was so important to our side to a non-event at VFL level.   I don't get it.   Whatever Mick's plan is, I hope it works.  Based on today he is miles away from the ones.  You just couldn't pick him.

Menzel:   The only forward that looked dangerous.   If you think our AFL forward line is dysfunctional, the VFL one has it covered in spades.   This bloke however gets it and is a good finisher.    He won't play too many games at VFL level.

Hampson:   Hurt his knee early in the 2nd.   No impact beforehand.  The couple of times he was on the lead he managed to run under the ball.

Mitchell:  A couple of good marks, but another non event.   You would love him as an opposition coach as you can play a third tall type like Hardingham on him who can compete physically and run off him at will.   Needs to join Watson and Casboult in pre-season training with Craig Mottram.   Can't play AFL on current form.

Warnock:   Looks like a bloke collecting a pay cheque.   No influence on the game other than hit outs.   A real disappointment.   No intensity at all and the question I would be asking is "does he play football because he loves the game or because he is good at it."

Duigan:  Pretty average early, however to his credit worked into the game and seemed to push further up the ground in the 2nd half.   Great intensity.  

Graham:  Didn't notice him a lot so it was nice to see he had 19 touches.

Took me this long to work out how to to get on the new site - promising layout.

Nice report Shakin - I got nothin to add because I didn't bother going this week - hard to believe Watson was our best player - Gumby must be as slow as Mitchell.

Sounds like the only good thing to say about NBs is that they were more competitive than the ressies were against Pt Melb.

Reply #23

I think you consider a guy like Gumbleton, but it would come down to price and what you think that is?   I would give up a third round pick.   The Bomber would ask for a 1st.   Would you take him for a 2nd?  

No I wouldn't.

I don't think there is one answer and I would be inclined to keep our options open.

Levi has the potential to be diamond in the rough.   At the moment he blows up before half time and his kicking can be terrible.   However he has a great set of hands and his ruck work is pretty good.   Needs a massive pre-season and a lot of goal kicking work.

I think we just have to find out if he can play FF. Give him a couple of games playing forward without rucking and see what he can produce. His kicking is woeful but if he get enough shots he has to convert some.

Mitchell doesn't look like he has enough strength in his upper body to compete at the moment.   He looks like he has the frame, but I wonder if his shoulder injuries has hampered his ability to add muscle.   It's only really a question the S&C guys would be able to answer.

Apparently they rate him highly so they must see something behind the scenes. KPP take years to develop and this is only his real season on the park (injured before that). What's the option with him - play in the 2's for the rest of the year and leave Casbout at FF in the 1's and see how they go?

Watson I would keep.   Again needs to get fitter but he has the attribute of a good footballer.

Attributes not attitude. He seems lazy and disinterested and you wonder about the rumours of him wanting to piss off to Essendon.

McCarthy gets more time.   Let's be fair I reckon we won't have a shortage of players to delist.

McCarthy has shown nothing. Simple as that. We got more out of Austin when we had him that McCarthy has ever shown.

My understanding was the Rowe WAS insurance whilst guys like Casboult and more specifically Mitchell developed.

Reply #24

Watson I would keep.   Again needs to get fitter but he has the attribute of a good footballer.   We need to be a bit more patient as earlier key position players from the same draft and still finding their feet.   Ie: Sam Day and Thomas Lynch.   

McCarthy gets more time   Let's be fair I reckon we won't have a shortage of players to delist.

Mcarthy gets more time???....has shown sweetFA IMO......delist, no one will trade for him IMO.

Agree on Rowe....how much more can he improve and will he ever be fit enough to play 100 mins....rookie at best

Watson I would trade if offered overs but wouldnt give him away.....straight swap for Gumby...maybe

Gumbelton for a 3rd rndr....maybe if his medical was ok but I reckon the Dogs will will offer more....2nd rnder?....would have to really be convinced he was fit and we were going to trade back into the second round.

Mitchell.....maybe keep one more year

Reply #25

Mcarthy gets more time???....has shown sweetFA IMO......delist, no one will trade for him IMO.

Agreed. No trade value at all - couldn't even suck Melbourne into that.

Reply #26
Won't get alot of enthusiasm from the NBs now given many have a fair idea they'll get the @rse at year's end.

Reply #27
Won't get alot of enthusiasm from the NBs now given many have a fair idea they'll get the @rse at year's end.

Many playing for the NB's should have thought about that weeks ago. Not happy with all the reports I read of players struggling in the NB side, and these are guys we need to be in the firsts. Can't develop all our players in the seconds.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #28

Many playing for the NB's should have thought about that weeks ago. Not happy with all the reports I read of players struggling in the NB side, and these are guys we need to be in the firsts. Can't develop all our players in the seconds.

Important one's went well, Menzel, Graham, Buckley, our future guns, plus Watson. Laider's one of those who'd probably play better if he were in the seniors but he's has to find a way there first.

Reply #29
laj,

These 4 are players I would like to see play as many games in the seniors before the season ends. If they are part of our future, we need to see them develop in the real world. The AFL.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.