Skip to main content
Topic: Blues v Pies Scratch Match - Thursday 20th, 4pm (Read 6655 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Blues v Pies Scratch Match - Thursday 20th, 4pm

Reply #45
Read elsewhere that Martin and Fisher had heavy training loads recently and were rested from the practice match

Reply #46
Read elsewhere that Martin and Fisher had heavy training loads recently and were rested from the practice match

Lots of extra gym sessions trying to get them to bulk up ? Both scrawny as.

Reply #47
Tom De Koning looks very impressive and seems ready to go.

Reply #48
Willo has been my favourite since we drafted him. I saw his first training session and there was just something about the way he moved that struck a cord with me. He is a footballer WITH athleticism. He is beautifully balanced, has great vision and does not panic in traffic or when the heat is on. Doesnt take crap either. Love him.

You speaking about Willo reminds me of my thoughts on someone from xmas past.....

I've always had my doubts that Willo might be kept off the park, not through talent or athleticism but by outside forces - that is, his body letting him down.
Previously there was a 'lock' that was kept of the park not through talent or athleticism but by outside forces - Attitude/off-field issues.
That player.....Laurie Angwin.

Reply #49
I can't agree more about how impressive Willo was. PS and all but his confidence,  poise,  and read on the game give him an edge. So hope he stays healthy.

Phelps showed a glimpse. Great if he can develop in the NB's. Honey was the surprise for me. His aggression stood out. Maybe in future Honey and Stocker will deliver the "don't f%$ with me" message at either end. We could do with that!

Early days with some good signs. Hope Mr Russell does his job. Injuries permitting, we could surprise a few people.
Go Blues
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #50
Couldnt agree more on TW, vital player given how timid we are and that left leg is a weapon, going to put some real heat on our other regular defenders too. They cant all play and its going to make competition tight for places which is how you build a decent team. Good to see Kruddlers man Newnes start well too, reckon he is another who should lift standards and be a lock for round 1.
Collingwood might have a indifferent year IMO due to a variety of reasons including off the field issues.
As much as we all wish that, its not going to happen EB, they are a very well run club (on and off field).
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #51
Just got back from the game.
Should be read with a grain of salt considering first hit out for the year but they were pretty fair dinkum in the first 3 qtrs.
At 3/4 time we led 12.6 to 4.3. Then we rested some key players and let Rottingwood back into the game... a bit. We played all our kids for the final 2 qtrs... to avoid confusion, yes, 3 x 1/4s of 25 minutes and 2 x 10 minutes without time on.
No SPS, Martin, H, Brackets, Marchbank, Fisher, Charlie, Tractor, Macreadie, Ben Sos or Goddard... not sure on Cottrell.

The best news of the day for moi was the form of Willo... dominant and outstanding across half back.
Doc eased his way into the game nicely.
Eddie was... well, Eddie. Great stuff from him. Kicked about 3 and could have easily kicked another couple. Warmed the cockles... our forward line looks so much more dangerous with him there.
Meat was very good.
Jack was good, took him a bit to get into the game though.
Paddy Dow started in the 4th qtr and was so so.
Murph played the first 3 qtrs and was rusty but involved. Coupla turnovers didn't impress. At his age I guess he's easing himself into the year.
LOB ...still not convinced.
Simmo... is he really in his late 30s... was like a kid. Good value, good judgement.
Kennedy up forward... not convinced. Coupla nice things but...
Crippa... in 3rd gear for the game and still head and shoulder above the rest.
De Koning is going to be de sheet hot.
Stocker... long way to go.
Jones... great.
Walsh... sensational, doubt there'll be any 2nd year blues here.
Plowman, serviceable.
Weitering injured early and didn't take any further part in the game. Groin or hip?
Newman, serviceable.
Liked what I saw of Pittonet, got attitude and did okay.
Cuningham was same old... flashes of good stuff, then tumbleweeds.
Polson... yawn.
Newnes, liked what I saw. Better than serviceable.
Philp, liked what I saw... positive glimpses.
Ed... was Ed, hard at it and influential.
This Honey kid might just have something!
Finbar... someone is taking the p1ss.
Gibbons... terrific, in everything and effective until rested after 3rd qtr.
Setterfield... coming along nicely.
Owies... need to see more, but good glimpses.

My only real negative for the day (apart from Finbar and Polson and pies at $6 ea) was Lang...

Very nice to read about Honey and Philp.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #53
What? After all the PS hype a no show?

Keep your powder dry, El Profissory... he just finished a heavy fitness load. Likely for the Dockers game on the 29th. All going to plan.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #54
Very nice to read about Honey and Philp.

I know I mentioned it previously but I was impressed with Philp. He's got something, Capt Crash.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #55
As much as we all wish that, its not going to happen EB, they are a very well run club (on and off field).
GTC, The best run clubs get into trouble when their players dont behave or have issue's off field...West Coast type issues..

Reply #56
GTC, The best run clubs get into trouble when their players dont behave or have issue's off field...West Coast type issues..
Agree in part. The Beams issue is quite specific though and they will get that under control one way or another. It wont detail their season. Are there other issues there? Am I missing something?
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time